Sponsored by:

[Collecting Cars] 750S v GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 04:18 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
McLaren is still an exotic to a certain extent and produce only a fraction of the total cars that Porsche does.

So with that comes along all the idiosyncratic nuances that is inherent in all exotics. Be it Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren.

You want the ease and convenience of a mass market volume production car, stick with Porsche.

And to be honest Porsche isn’t all that much more reliable than a McLaren, nor are parts availability that much better.
This hasnt been my experience with Porsche. Everyone has their own perspective based on their own experience. I have had 5 of them and never experienced unreliability and lack of parts availability. I have never lost money in a Porsche either. I can park them outdoors year around, drive in rain salt snow. Park them in a train station or whole foods. Mclaren wont survive in these conditions, not in a way it will melt from sun but because of the attention it attracts, the way doors open in tight spots, the way water accumulates in doors and open engine bay. People I personally know have had nightmares with Mclaren. People I personally know overheated a mclaren in a track with ease (720S). You can drive a GT car all day in a track and drive home. Porsche isnt exotic. I dont want it to be. If it were exotic, it wouldnt be able to do the things it does that I highlighted above. So yes you are right in what you point out wrt to exotics.
Old 07-07-2024, 04:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,471 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Yes and they wait weeks for parts when their car breaks down. If you actually drive your cars, probability of mclaren breaking is much higher. I just have heard so many horror stories. And then there is depreciation. Drive 10k miles and you lost $150k if bought new.
But it may not break down. I drive mine plenty and hard, and it hasn’t had any issues. I bought mine used, and there has been little or no depreciation. An expensive Porsche will depreciate a lot if you put serious miles on it.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:01 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

This hasnt been my experience with Porsche. Everyone has their own perspective based on their own experience. I have had 5 of them and never experienced unreliability and lack of parts availability. I have never lost money in a Porsche either. I can park them outdoors year around, drive in rain salt snow. Park them in a train station or whole foods. Mclaren wont survive in these conditions, not in a way it will melt from sun but because of the attention it attracts, the way doors open in tight spots, the way water accumulates in doors and open engine bay. People I personally know have had nightmares with Mclaren. People I personally know overheated a mclaren in a track with ease (720S). You can drive a GT car all day in a track and drive home. Porsche isnt exotic. I dont want it to be. If it were exotic, it wouldnt be able to do the things it does that I highlighted above. So yes you are right in what you point out wrt to exotics.
don’t like em ? Fine. Not a fan of Ferrari myself. But it’s pretty hilarious to watch non-owners argue about reliability or street presence or whatever. McLarens track all day just fine, and I still drive them home. You can park them outdoors in the rain and snow. Hmm. Those nasty brutal soccer moms park next to it just fine at Whole Foods.

the “I have no idea what I’m talking about FUD” is pretty lame. You really don’t need to be so insecure about how amazing your GT car is. We know.
The following users liked this post:
RobbieRob (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 02:40 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
don’t like em ? Fine. Not a fan of Ferrari myself. But it’s pretty hilarious to watch non-owners argue about reliability or street presence or whatever. McLarens track all day just fine, and I still drive them home. You can park them outdoors in the rain and snow. Hmm. Those nasty brutal soccer moms park next to it just fine at Whole Foods.

the “I have no idea what I’m talking about FUD” is pretty lame. You really don’t need to be so insecure about how amazing your GT car is. We know.
I’m sorry but the market does not agree with your POV. They are where they are and so is Porsche. The recent 765LT auction went way below MSRP. Thats such a limited production car, more limited than 911R. Do you think you can buy a 911R with 10k miles 10-15% below msrp? With or without warranty, doesnt matter. 991 Tourings with 10k miles go for $40-50k over msrp. I hate bringing cost into this conversation but it shows you market’s view of mclaren as a company/product. We can argue here all we want. I am still getting calls from Mclaren dealers offering 750S allocations as early as August for MSRP. You cant get a Cayenne allocation that early for a Porsche. One is made in tens of thousands the other is a handful. Why is that? Why arent these 750S allocations go fast?

Mclaren has no future portfolio of established solid product pipeline. Artura was and is a disaster. They cant sell more 750S beginning 2025 in many of their primary regions due to new regulations of safety (and that they cant do the R&D to fit them on 750S). People are very concerned. They build literally 2 cars right now and 1 of them is in a pretty bad state and the other car will be produced in substantially less quantities.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 07-08-2024 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I’m sorry but the market does not agree with your POV. They are where they are and so is Porsche. The recent 765LT auction went way below MSRP. Thats such a limited production car, more limited than 911R. Do you think you can buy a 911R with 10k miles 10-15% below msrp? With or without warranty, doesnt matter. 991 Tourings with 10k miles go for $40-50k over msrp. I hate bringing cost into this conversation but it shows you market’s view of mclaren as a company/product. We can argue here all we want. I am still getting calls from Mclaren dealers offering 750S allocations as early as August for MSRP. You cant get a Cayenne allocation that early for a Porsche. One is made in tens of thousands the other is a handful. Why is that? Why arent these 750S allocations go fast?

Mclaren has no future portfolio of established solid product pipeline. Artura was and is a disaster. They cant sell more 750S beginning 2025 in many of their primary regions due to new regulations of safety (and that they cant do the R&D to fit them on 750S). People are very concerned. They build literally 2 cars right now and 1 of them is in a pretty bad state and the other car will be produced in substantially less quantities.
Porsche is a mass produced car which sits on a lower price tier and offers a lesser driving experience.

McLaren is a handmade exotic boutique car which sits on a higher price tier and offers a more special driving experience.

McLaren is not for you if your comfort zone is chain restaurants.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Matt(inMA) (07-08-2024), RobbieRob (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 10:47 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Porsche is a mass produced car which sits on a lower price tier and offers a lesser driving experience.

McLaren is a handmade exotic boutique car which sits on a higher price tier and offers a more special driving experience.

McLaren is not for you if your comfort zone is chain restaurants.
I’d like to eat home made food, so I guess I should downgrade to a Ford and pass BMW on my way down?

Love the mentality here.

Its an extremely risky proposition. Your 570S is several years old and at this point if it hasnt had major issues, it wont. This isnt the case on brand new cars. You should read the mclaren forums once in a while, particularly Artura. Its the persistence of these issues and their duration of resolution are pillars of Mclaren’s failure as a business.

Some of the issues like wing not working in a brand new car, or door not properly opening due to body panel tolerance issues highlight lack of attention and emphasis on quality. Again, its a bit of cultural. Have you visited germany? Even their garbage man takes pride in what he does and does a good job. Or the room service in a hotel. Or a plumber you call. Or the gas station clerk. They are clean, organized, precise people. Porsche wouldnt be Porsche if it was produced anywhere but Germany. You really have to visit the country and learn about their culture then you can truly appreciate the quality difference in Porsche vs Mclaren.
Tombstone4478 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 11:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I’d like to eat home made food, so I guess I should downgrade to a Ford and pass BMW on my way down?

Love the mentality here.

Its an extremely risky proposition. Your 570S is several years old and at this point if it hasnt had major issues, it wont. This isnt the case on brand new cars. You should read the mclaren forums once in a while, particularly Artura. Its the persistence of these issues and their duration of resolution are pillars of Mclaren’s failure as a business.

Some of the issues like wing not working in a brand new car, or door not properly opening due to body panel tolerance issues highlight lack of attention and emphasis on quality. Again, its a bit of cultural. Have you visited germany? Even their garbage man takes pride in what he does and does a good job. Or the room service in a hotel. Or a plumber you call. Or the gas station clerk. They are clean, organized, precise people. Porsche wouldnt be Porsche if it was produced anywhere but Germany. You really have to visit the country and learn about their culture then you can truly appreciate the quality difference in Porsche vs Mclaren.
You're distorting the restaurant analogy. You're not going to design and build your own car ...

I've read the McLaren life forum. I don't agree that it's 'extremely risky' to buy a McLaren. Pick a model with a good reliability record, or buy new with warranty, or buy CPO. Yes, Artura had its issues, so don't buy the first year of a model.

The quality is there, but it's not a mass produced car, so tolerances on some things won't be as tight. And for that matter, both of my 992 cars (GT3 and TTS) have incessant rattles, the TTS threw a somewhat mysterious code on track which asked for restricted driving, and the 9k GT cars have a reputation for engine failures, so Porsche build quality wouldn't be the one I use as a benchmark.

I'm an engineer, and I admire German engineering. British engineering is also generally quite good. McLaren engineering is excellent because they have six decades of experience focused on racing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren

Old 07-08-2024, 11:26 AM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 53 Posts

They build literally 2 cars right now and 1 of them is in a pretty bad state and the other car will be produced in substantially less quantities.
GT/GTS
Artura
750s
As for the Mclaren forums, that (like Rennlist) is a very very small percentage of owners. Artura has some first year glitches for sure, but that car is pretty awesome.
McLaren's aren't for everyone, just like a nice watch isn't for everyone. Citizen makes a nice reliable watch and it tells better time than the more expensive ones, people just don't take notice of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by RobbieRob:
06viper (07-11-2024), AlexCeres (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 11:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Some advantages of McLarens, as compared to Porsches:

- Longer wheelbase
- Wider tracks
- Lower CG
- Better suspension
- Generally more torque and power, yet they still rev high and sound good
- Hydraulic steering with fantastic feel
- Lower seating position
- Better visibility
- All of this in a mid-engine car (Porsche refuses to let the Caymans 'be all they can be')
Old 07-08-2024, 12:24 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 851 Likes on 447 Posts

surviving both ranch 99 & WF parking lots thus far
The following 5 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
AlexCeres (07-08-2024), Matt(inMA) (07-08-2024), RobbieRob (07-08-2024), signal_gelb (07-14-2024), thebishman (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 12:27 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 939 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid

surviving both ranch 99 & WF parking lots thus far
that wheel gap tho…
Old 07-08-2024, 01:39 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 851 Likes on 447 Posts

Lift on entering parking lot
Old 07-08-2024, 04:05 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
that wheel gap tho…

You can tell that the Front end lift is engaged in those pics.

I used to have the same mindset as you in regards to wheel gap, HOWEVER you learn that wheel gap is actually good for driving dynamics as it means the car has some suspension travel and thus can handle some road imperfections. No wheel gap is for aesthetics and usually means limited spring travel.
Old 07-08-2024, 04:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,874 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Some advantages of McLarens, as compared to Porsches:

- Longer wheelbase
- Wider tracks
- Lower CG
- Better suspension
- Generally more torque and power, yet they still rev high and sound good
- Hydraulic steering with fantastic feel
- Lower seating position
- Better visibility
- All of this in a mid-engine car (Porsche refuses to let the Caymans 'be all they can be')
I agree with many of your points above (but hydraulic steering is only aspect that is truly wanting in the Porsches for my taste).

And I actually prefer the handling characteristics of Rear-engine.

And I really prefer the sharpness of an NA engine, and the handling of real swaybars and mechanical LSD (not to mention manual gearbox which I’ve already beaten to death).

AlexCeres (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 05:00 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

More FUD bs. McLarens depreciate and Porsches ADM. Buying new is a great way to lose money regardless. The guys who paid 100-150 over on a 3RS are not going to be better off depreciation wise if they actually drive their cars. Lambos, Aston’s, and Ferrari are basically the same. If you’re looking for an investment, a Porsche is pretty ****ing stupid compared to actual investments like stocks and real estate and businesses. Auto Taxes, maintenance, consumables. It’s just terrible. Cars are toys / art, and they cost money.

As for future products, yawn. No serious people are concerned. By serious people I mean actual owners. The whales ares shivving each other over pecking order for future products. Will Woking make it ? Maybe, maybe not. Porsche didn’t make it as a pure sports car company. Neither did Lotus, Ferrari, Lambo or … anyone. The actual owners will be fine, with irreplaceable ice auto art from an era before hybrids. Most of the dealers will be fine too.

Really all I hear is someone who can’t afford to play the supercar game make a bunch of excuses why they disagree with Chris Harris by paper racing. Thanks for your insight.
usctrojanGT3 (07-08-2024)

Quick Reply: [Collecting Cars] 750S v GT3RS