[Collecting Cars] 750S v GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 12:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,962 Likes on 5,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Magger46
That track is so "bad" for the RS that would be the same if they have done a drag strip test!

But again...we are comparing cars that have a difference of 200 horsepower or more. Is pointless!

The only cars that i would compare to the 3RS are the 600LT or the 620R.

All the others are 2RS league cars!
But I always thought Porsches always punch above their weight class?
The following users liked this post:
Tombstone4478 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 12:18 PM
saksride
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Not at all.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:09 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 90 Posts

LOL if one buys the 992 RS for street driving, they are just looking for the Lamborghini type attention but they aren't willing to stomach the Lambo depreciation. there are zero reasons to use this car on the street over a GT3. and there are many reasons a GT3 makes more sense for street use.

but........

if one buys the 992 RS for track work, shouldn't they just buy a cup car? There are no reasons a RS is better on the track and to run on the track than a cup car. there are many reasons a cup car is better than an RS on track......driving home from the track isn't a reason, if you can afford either car you can afford a trailer. also, if youre driving home in the RS so you can use it around town, then see point 1.

992 RS best talents are making the owner feel special, and retaining value (as long as you got it at sticker).

The McLaren on the other hand, can handle both just fine. unfortunately build quality, reliability, and massive deprecation come into play here, but if your goals are truly to have a well balanced car you can rip all week and then at the track, its the Mac. all around no question. But many will ignore all of that just because they cant stand the negatives and if you are a loyal Pcar fanboy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tombstone4478:
gt3_2024 (07-08-2024), Manhattan_trout (07-10-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,874 Posts

Originally Posted by Tombstone4478
If one buys the 992 RS for track work, shouldn't they just buy a cup car? There are no reasons a RS is better on the track and to run on the track than a cup car. there are many reasons a cup car is better than an RS on track......driving home from the track isn't a reason, if you can afford either car you can afford a trailer. also, if youre driving home in the RS so you can use it around town, then see point 1.
It’s not just the need for a trailer. It’s the need for a truck to pull the trailer, a place to park all 3 vehicles, the warranty, the ability to drive to dealer for service (or anywhere else), the depreciation, the running costs (sequential gearbox service alone is a big difference), the ease/possibility of insurance etc.
AlexCeres (02-14-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:49 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
It’s not just the need for a trailer. It’s the need for a truck to pull the trailer, a place to park all 3 vehicles, the warranty, the ability to drive to dealer for service (or anywhere else), the depreciation, the running costs (sequential gearbox service alone is a big difference), the ease/possibility of insurance etc.
ok sounds like youre making a great case and favor the McLaren since you can use it effectively for street and track and no truck/trailer needed.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:12 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

ok sounds like youre making a great case and favor the McLaren since you can use it effectively for street and track and no truck/trailer needed.
Had cup cars, have had 600lt and 765lt...have a 3RS on the way to use for track off and on and play with on the road occasionally. It seems this 992 RS is pretty much 8/10th of a cup save not having a straight cut gear box an rebuild schedules...and as much as I yearn to be back in a cup car, I can use the 992 RS WAY more easily and at less cost. The Mclarens approach tracking differently feeling wise, and at the end of the day I doubt the Mclaren can run as consistently as an RS will, which is more important to me than hero laps. However, let it be known that what the 765 or even 750s does as a road car thats EPICLY fast on a track too is HUGELY impressive, and If I only had 1-2 fun cars, Id prob choose the 750S over the RS as its a way better road car, and honestly looks better to me too lol.
The following 4 users liked this post by sechsgang:
AlexCeres (02-14-2024), heshalosny (02-18-2024), pfbz (02-17-2024), Tombstone4478 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 02:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,874 Posts

Could be a good choice, but McLaren requires a dealer inspection both before and after each event to preserve the warranty (and it only applies to the original owner for the original new car warranty period).

Last edited by GrantG; 02-13-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
They show manufacturer-quoted weights rather than real weights, but it should be close. Real-life 720s weighed in at 1445-1470kg (3180lbs - 3240lbs) with full tank and no driver, and 750s is supposed to be 66lbs or 30kg lighter.

The RS weight they show (1450) is spec weight for non-Weissach. Caranddriver weighed Weissach RS with a full tank at 3214lbs (unclear whether it was regular or extended tank, though). So 750s should be lighter, but the gap may be smaller than the spec weights suggest.
As suspected. Thanks for the detail.

Now let's wait for the GT2 RS for a real apples to apples comp.

Last edited by Nizer; 02-13-2024 at 03:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nizer:
Boneguy (02-18-2024), _bajk (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 03:26 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 611 Posts

LOL if one buys the 992 RS for street driving, they are just looking for the Lamborghini type attention but they aren't willing to stomach the Lambo depreciation. there are zero reasons to use this car on the street over a GT3. and there are many reasons a GT3 makes more sense for street use.

but........

if one buys the 992 RS for track work, shouldn't they just buy a cup car? There are no reasons a RS is better on the track and to run on the track than a cup car. there are many reasons a cup car is better than an RS on track......driving home from the track isn't a reason, if you can afford either car you can afford a trailer. also, if youre driving home in the RS so you can use it around town, then see point 1.

992 RS best talents are making the owner feel special, and retaining value (as long as you got it at sticker).
That's a bit ignorant and smells like sour grapes. In this generation, RS is very satisfying to drive on roads and is surprisingly compliant - noticeably better than 991.2 RS! The only reasons I see to drive GT3 over RS are frunk, cost, and insecurity. But for many people, these things do not apply. Without roll cage, frunk is not that much of an issue. It's tiny compared to the rear space anyway. I daily RS to get break-in miles before track season, and rear space is fine for groceries, cases of wine, kids' sports equipment etc. Also, it gets attention only from car enthusiasts and anti-car people - others seem to think it's a 911 modded by a juvenile owner. I tried daily-driving 765LT and it was noticeably more awkward. It's a masterpiece of a car, but a painful daily. 750 would probably be a nicer daily, if not for the turbo lag, assuming they improved the gearbox. But RS makes me want to drive it every time I drive, even to do chores. I get groceries for the family twice as often as I did before. GT3 would be pretty much the same, maybe just a bit less compliant because of less adjustable suspension. And it's not like I'm biased because I have an RS. I can get any mass-produced car with just an email, and most I can get to try for a few weeks without even having to buy them. And I only got RS just in case I needed it to horse-trade for something more limited, without expecting to like it enough to keep.

As for cup car being better for track - in many ways it is. But it's much less accessible - no abs or stability control, slicks, unboosted brakes etc. It's all manageable but requires solid experience not to screw up. It also has no warranty and much higher maintenance cost, but that's nothing compared to trailering. Extra time loading and unloading, prepping etc would be the most expensive part of a track day for me. I have a crew doing it for me, even though I'm handy, and with GT3/RS I did everything myself, including changing brake pads and tires, and even exhaust, track-side between sessions. Trailer logistics just wastes a lot of time when doing it alone. Storing extra tow vehicle and trailer is also not for everyone. When I lived in big cities, the space for a truck and trailer near home would cost 5x the cost of an RS, at least. Storing it elsewhere means even more time spent, unless you have a crew doing all the logistics for you. So using a cup car with convenience comparable to RS is way more expensive and can be impossible if you don't have a team you can trust nearby.

As for RS making owners feel special - heck yeah, it does a good job there! Even after playing with real race cars (I'm in my 4th season of competitive racing with 12-15 races per year), driving it feels special, and is entertaining, exploring all the settings and so on. McLaren does it very well too, maybe even better. And it's a good thing. Why would one buy such a car to feel the same as driving a Corolla?

RS is also an odd-ball - it's a hot-rodded 911 rather than a supercar, while 750 is a real supercar. But in many ways, RS is more extreme in its engineering than many supercars, so feels more special to those who are after pushing things to the limit and geeking out.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 02-13-2024 at 03:36 PM.
The following 13 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
06viper (02-14-2024), 5MDNY9 (08-24-2024), AlexCeres (02-14-2024), cadster (06-19-2024), Finlander (02-14-2024), GT3Laguna (02-17-2024), gt3_2024 (07-08-2024), jkb3 (02-14-2024), lockie (02-14-2024), murtm (07-30-2024), smiles11 (02-13-2024), Tombstone4478 (02-13-2024), _bajk (02-13-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2024, 03:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,962 Likes on 5,215 Posts

LOL.

A Mclaren probably gets as much, if not more, attention as a Lamborghini. And certainly more than a GT3RS.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:40 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
That's a bit ignorant and smells like sour grapes. In this generation, RS is very satisfying to drive on roads and is surprisingly compliant - noticeably better than 991.2 RS! The only reasons I see to drive GT3 over RS are frunk, cost, and insecurity. But for many people, these things do not apply. Without roll cage, frunk is not that much of an issue. It's tiny compared to the rear space anyway. I daily RS to get break-in miles before track season, and rear space is fine for groceries, cases of wine, kids' sports equipment etc. Also, it gets attention only from car enthusiasts and anti-car people - others seem to think it's a 911 modded by a juvenile owner. I tried daily-driving 765LT and it was noticeably more awkward. It's a masterpiece of a car, but a painful daily. 750 would probably be a nicer daily, if not for the turbo lag, assuming they improved the gearbox. But RS makes me want to drive it every time I drive, even to do chores. I get groceries for the family twice as often as I did before. GT3 would be pretty much the same, maybe just a bit less compliant because of less adjustable suspension. And it's not like I'm biased because I have an RS. I can get any mass-produced car with just an email, and most I can get to try for a few weeks without even having to buy them.

As for cup car being better for track - in many ways it is. But it's much less accessible - no abs or stability control, slicks, unboosted brakes etc. It's all manageable but requires solid experience not to screw up. It also has no warranty and much higher maintenance cost, but that's nothing compared to trailering. Extra time loading and unloading, prepping etc would be the most expensive part of a track day for me. I have a crew doing it for me, even though I'm handy, and with GT3/RS I did everything myself, including changing brake pads and tires, and even exhaust, track-side between sessions. Trailer logistics just wastes a lot of time when doing it alone. Storing extra tow vehicle and trailer is also not for everyone. When I lived in big cities, the space for a truck and trailer near home would cost 5x the cost of an RS, at least. Storing it elsewhere means even more time spent, unless you have a crew doing all the logistics for you. So using a cup car with convenience comparable to RS is way more expensive and can be impossible if you don't have a team you can trust nearby.

As for RS making owners feel special - heck yeah, it does a good job there! Even after playing with real race cars (I'm in my 4th season of competitive racing with 12-15 races per year), driving it feels special, and is entertaining, exploring all the settings and so on. McLaren does it very well too, maybe even better. And it's a good thing. Why would one buy such a car to feel the same as driving a Corolla?

RS is also an odd-ball - it's a hot-rodded 911 rather than a supercar, while 750 is a real supercar. But in many ways, RS is more extreme in its engineering than many supercars, so feels more special to those who are after pushing things to the limit and geeking out.

ok ok, perhaps a small percentage of my comment was a little trolly and provoking. i can own that. im sorry i cant help myself lol. you make all valid and fantastic points. and in the end none of it matters. if you can afford the RS, and it makes you happy, you can drive that thing anywhere you want. Honestly what bothers me the most about the new RS on the street is that wing. its just so massive. feel the same way about the viper ACR. and i owned all the macs, and my biggest complaint was the doors. im a chubby oldish bald guy. i looked like a complete idiot getting in and out of the McLarens with the doors up which is a smoke signal to watch what im doing.. but when they were working properly a 600LT was an absolute blast to me and it performed so well.

Last edited by Tombstone4478; 02-13-2024 at 03:51 PM.
MaxLTV (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 03:41 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
LOL.

A Mclaren probably gets as much, if not more, attention as a Lamborghini. And certainly more than a GT3RS.
yeah, but at least the Mac performs. The Lambo is all show, and much less go.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:25 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 169 Posts

I own a McLaren. I've owned Porsches. I like both. But I would get a 750S over the RS if they were the same price after market adjustment. MSRP for MSRP is another story. McLaren's are amazing cars. That said, start factoring other ownership issues... reliability, intangibles (911 heritage, interior quality/solidity) dealer experience AFTER warranty, and then owning one long term compared to a Porsche is two different things. Why do I hang on to my 675LT? I think it's the second best modern McLaren after the P1. It is raw but refined enough to go around town. It is so damn fun on track - handles like a modern NSX with way more power. And it feels light. My dealer treats me well, and at 9000 miles I haven't had a single major issue (I've owned it since I spec'd it).
The following 3 users liked this post by neoprufrok:
AlexCeres (02-14-2024), heshalosny (02-18-2024), thebishman (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 04:52 AM
markiegt3
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi all,

I'm from a cold, wet UK!!

One thing about the RS is tyres. The 750S, they put slightly more suitable tyre on for the timed test, whereas I am not sure what tyres they had on the Porsche, but suspect Cup2, so this may have given a little tyre advantage to the 750S, as we all know how difficult it is to get heat and therefore grip out of cup2s in cold temps.

Love both cars, but feel Porsche may have gone a step too far with no frunk at all for the RS.
Tombstone4478 (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 03:07 PM
06viper
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 55 Posts

I am sure there will be lots of Porsche die hards in here considering this is a Porsche forum haha. But the simple truth is the 750 is on a different planet than the GT3RS. In terms of the Mclaren and Porsche world, I am the owner of a 765LT, 620R, 570s, Artura, 992 GT3, and a very high spec MSO 750 on the way (due to arrive late summer/early fall), comparing a 750s to a GT3RS is an absolute joke. The 911 platform is a very very very good and fast "sports car" not a high performance exotic. The 765LT and 750 are 95% the same car besides some aero bits and little things like that. Think of them as a GT3 and a GT3 touring. The 750 is in a whole different galaxy compared to a GT3RS. It is a carbon tub, carbon panels, active aero, mid engine, 750 wheel HP not crank, hydraulic linked suspension, monster of a supercar which is as fast (and in some cases) faster than hypercars. It is a car that you can daily drive and it is as comfortable as you want it to be, and at the push of a button becomes as hardcore and track focused as you want it to be. You can see out of it beautifully, rides like an S class Mercedes in comfort mode, has plenty of storage, on of the most wild looking vehicles being made, the list goes on and on. And in track mode, it can set lap records at almost any track you are at (765LT holds countless records at tracks across the world for a stock road going production car so the 750 is going to be basically the same speed give or take). Shoot a stock 765 holds the same time as a Senna around Laguna Seca as an example, 1:26.

The 750 might not look drastically different than a 720, but internally it is a whole different animal. It has the motor and transmission from the 765 which is MEGA. As I said previously, it's basically the GT3 touring version of the 765LT. The GT3RS is down 350+ hp to the 750 and here is why. Porsche claims the GT3RS makes 518 hp at the crank, so that's about 435-440 wheel hp. Mclaren on the other hand is different. The 765LT makes 765 wheel hp which translates to 885 hp, so the 750 should follow the same path and make 750 wheel hp which should translate to about 865-870 at the crank. That is a huge HP difference. The GT3RS is also heavier. The 765 also runs 9.3 at the drag strip, something the GT3RS remotely can't touch.

So long story short, as I stated the GT3RS is a very very fast sports car, not an exotic that's hypercar fast. What gets me also is the ADM Porsche dealers are putting on GT3RS allocations. Since 95% of GT3RS buyers are having to pay 6 figure ADM markups, it puts the price of a GT3RS in the same price range as a 750! Just food for thought. Here are some renderings of my 750 from MSO. Tokyo Cyan Pearl paint incase anyone was wondering.

The following 7 users liked this post by 06viper:
AlexCeres (02-16-2024), gt3_2024 (07-08-2024), heshalosny (02-18-2024), mikesT (02-19-2024), Mr Mojo Risin (02-15-2024), Tombstone4478 (02-14-2024), Yc911Kid (06-28-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: [Collecting Cars] 750S v GT3RS