2023 911 GT3 RS - The Quest…

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 04:33 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Just one more thought….

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
- but there is that pesky "Porsche Fail" right in the middle of the trip - me thinks with a failed delivery that a Porsche sponsered magazine would prefer to only carry stories in which our Hero is victorious ;-)…
Being the eternal optimist and a fan of Hollywood endings, let’s wait to see if the hero does prevail at the end. Your, your daughter’s and your friend’s positive outlook prevailed on your wonderful trip amidst the disappointment of not driving the GT3 RS, but fortunately Porsche had the sense to provide a sharp Cayman and not point you toward a rental counter. Also, the shoutout that you gave your dealer in your post would be well received in any Porsche magazine. I think there is a great story to tell given your trip and prior Porsche experience - lots of brand exposure. We’ll stay tuned. Cheers!

BTW, my GT3 is parked in Emden - arrived 9/4 - looking for a ride to the port in San Diego. Leaving port was scheduled for 9/5, but that was very optimistic. Maybe our cars will be shipmates for the crossing!
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 05:43 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

keeping with the vibe of the trip - flight home from madrid canceled and rebooked - sigh - new travel plans
for those playing along at home … spain and madrid starbucks mugs achieved in terminal S on my way to the last gate in the building

after letting me buy the RS - going for best husband award since for some reason these mugs make my wife insanely happy

flight in one hour 15…

madrid is a big complex modern airport

wow!

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-06-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:34 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

for those playing along at home … spain and madrid starbucks mugs achieved in terminal S on my way to the last gate in the building

after letting me buy the RS - going for best husband award since for some reason these mugs make my wife insanely happy

flight in one hour 15…

madrid is a big complex modern airport

wow!
I think you should definitely submit your writing to a magazine. It's been fun to follow from Rennlist. Plus with a positive attitude given all the setbacks you faced, I feel the trip was something you'll remember positively for a long time and that's what its all about anyways. I am sure Porsche will figure out a way to make the story end on a better note and you have a happy wife and daughter (and friend) too.. Safe travels.

daveo4porsche (09-07-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 05:28 PM
ard
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 113 Posts

Dave, what a great series of posts. As others have said they have raised the level of discourse on RL. I'll comment on the highlights and lowlights of your experience, so my answer may read "sinusoidal".
  1. Congratulations on being able to purchase a GT3RS and on your (implied) intent to track it. Enviable and commendable at the same time
  2. Very good of you to bring along the people you truly care about on this trip; memorable experiences gain additional meaning if you can revisit them with the people who were there with you and cared the same way.
  3. Customer Vehicle Delivery (and the myriad departments upstream) had one remit - to deliver you a perfect, perfectly usable car. They failed in that. I concur with your read that they won't shrug it off, but I would not easily forgive them failing in their single remit. I'd expect, and not to have to ask for, hearing "here is how we will make this up to you since you clearly spent time and money to have a very special experience.|" And, in my book that ain't "we'll drop it off at your house when it's fixed." Getting a PECLA Delivery Experience on them feels like a very reasonable gesture.
  4. Thank you (and your daughter) for the pictures - they are superb.
  5. Ahh, the Swiss (and Italian) tunnels. I secretly dream of "driving" my Sharkwerks exhaust equipped 997 through them, or rather, doing a series of 2nd and 3rd gear pulls to close to Redline, all with the windows ALL THE WAY down , but I have read that people do get ticketed and worse for that. I have also noticed speed cameras inside tunnels and just past their exit, so this will remain a pure fanatsy.
  6. I commend you for handling the travel charade as well as you did.
  7. I also liked your "in the moment" rather than "after the fact" posts. Until your Day 3 post I was fully expecting to see you in your new car. Writing summary posts after the fact feels easier but I like the in the moment ones better. I looked forward to your daily updates.

Lastly, when your car arrives and when you feel like it, I really hope you find your way over to the GT-car focused GTG in San Ramon on the 3rd Sunday of the month.

Best,

/alex

Last edited by ard; 09-08-2023 at 05:41 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ard:
AtTheGlen (09-08-2023), daveo4porsche (09-08-2023), Diablo Dude (09-13-2023), krm (09-12-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 05:38 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ard
Dave, what a great series of posts. As others have said they have raised the level of discourse on RL. I'll comment on the highlights and lowlights of your experience, so my answer may read "sinusoidal".
  1. Congratulations on being able to purchase a GT3RS and on your (implied) intent to track it. Enviable and commendable at the same time
  2. Very good of you to bring along the people you truly care about on this trip; memorable experiences gain additional meaning if you can revisit them with the people who were there with you and cared the same way.
  3. Customer Vehicle Delivery (and the myriad departments upstream) had one remit - to deliver you a perfect, perfectly usable car. They failed in that. I concur with your read that they won't shrug it off, but I would not easily forgive them failing in their single remit. I'd expect, and not to have to ask for, hearing "here is how we will make this up to you since you clearly spent time and money to have a very special experience.|" And, in my book that ain't "we'll drop it off at your house when it's fixed." Getting a PECLA Delivery Experience on them feel like a very reasonable gesture.
  4. Thank you (and your daughter) for the pictures - they are superb.
  5. Ahh, the Swiss (and Italian) tunnels. I secretly dream of "driving" my Sharkwerks exhaust equipped 997 through them, or rather, doing a series of 2nd and 3rd gear pulls to close to Redline, all with the windows ALL THE WAY down , but I have read that people do get ticketed and worse for that. I have also noticed speed cameras inside tunnels and just past their exit, so this will remain a pure fanatsy.
  6. I commend you for handling the travel charade as well as you did.
  7. I also liked your "in the moment" rather than "after the fact" posts. Until your Day 3 post I was fully expecting to see you in your new car. Writing summary posts after the fact feels easier but I like the in the moment ones better. I looked forward to your daily updates.

Lastly, when your car arrives and when you feel like it, I really hope you find your way over to the GT-car focused GTG in San Ramon on the 3rd Sunday of the month.

Best,

/alex
thanks Alex

I'll be there - I can't wait to get my RS to california - now if only Porsche would provide me an updated status - I have no word from Porsche on the status of my vehicle since Aug. 31st {sigh}
Old 09-08-2023, 05:54 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default L.A. PEC

I am back and will try to make this brief. There is a first for everything! I really like the idea of a complimentary PEC experience, but if you take delivery at the PEC, there is the matter of bringing the car home. It could be a pleasant trip up the coast with varied terrain and speeds, but the car would not have been PPF’d to the extent that you are planning. You could negotiate for have your car trailered to your home/PPF installer, etc. but that seems to be a complication.

Perhaps it would be best if Porsche gave you, your daughter and your friend complimentary PEC experiences at a convenient time, and instead you took delivery near your home. I did a PEC delivery on our Taycan GTS because I ordered it at the Virginia dealer that sold us cars while living there. It is a great detailed in-service experience and a nice meal. The track experience is the main attraction though. I live about 35 miles away, so it was convenient and not having PPF was OK because we were crawling in rush-hour traffic on the way home.

Very disappointing that you are not hearing anything re: status. Good news is that they are actively building the GT3 RS so parts even production slots should be readily available. Maybe the dealer can pry some info out of Porsche in Germany via PCNA. Tell Porsche that several of us want you to publish your story and all of us say that Porsche better give The Quest a very happy ending!
daveo4porsche (09-13-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 05:58 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
I am back and will try to make this brief. There is a first for everything! I really like the idea of a complimentary PEC experience, but if you take delivery at the PEC, there is the matter of bringing the car home. It could be a pleasant trip up the coast with varied terrain and speeds, but the car would not have been PPF’d to the extent that you are planning. You could negotiate for have your car trailered to your home/PPF installer, etc. but that seems to be a complication.

Perhaps it would be best if Porsche gave you, your daughter and your friend complimentary PEC experiences at a convenient time, and instead you took delivery near your home. I did a PEC delivery on our Taycan GTS because I ordered it at the Virginia dealer that sold us cars while living there. It is a great detailed in-service experience and a nice meal. The track experience is the main attraction though. I live about 35 miles away, so it was convenient and not having PPF was OK because we were crawling in rush-hour traffic on the way home.

Very disappointing that you are not hearing anything re: status. Good news is that they are actively building the GT3 RS so parts even production slots should be readily available. Maybe the dealer can pry some info out of Porsche in Germany via PCNA. Tell Porsche that several of us want you to publish your story and all of us say that Porsche better give The Quest a very hay ending!
I like the idea of PECLA delivery - but I"m at this point uninterested in further delay - PECLA delivery apporintments are so scarce my experience (having done PECLA twice) is a 6-8 week delay for he delivery appointment - further delay is not my goal at this point - but I'm continuing to negotiate with PCNA for consideration given the situation.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I'm considering publishing a article about this overall exprience - this thread will obviously form a core contribution outline…

I'll keep this thread up to date with progress

my buddies touring moved to day from the stuttgart drop off location to a port…airtags FTW
Diablo Dude (09-13-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 04:14 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Petrified for upcoming Leipzig ED...

Hopefully my 4RS will be "driveable" next week... Your situation plus another RL'er driving out of the factory with a screw in his tire makes me nervous... But your attitude, composure, patience, and outlook on life are amazing 👏.
Learned a lot from your thread 👍.
Hope you hear about your car soon and get it delivered without further delay 🙏🙏.
PS: Porsche Stevens Creek, my dealer also and servicing my GT cars for past 12 years is outstanding!
daveo4porsche (09-09-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:10 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horstair
Hopefully my 4RS will be "driveable" next week... Your situation plus another RL'er driving out of the factory with a screw in his tire makes me nervous... But your attitude, composure, patience, and outlook on life are amazing 👏.
Learned a lot from your thread 👍.
Hope you hear about your car soon and get it delivered without further delay 🙏🙏.
PS: Porsche Stevens Creek, my dealer also and servicing my GT cars for past 12 years is outstanding!
I wish you all the best on your Leipzig delivery - my understanding of my situation is problems like mine are rare/uncommon - I'm betting you'll have a great time!!

PIC and updates are loved by the community - I'd love to see yours!
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
GrantG (09-13-2023), PET (09-13-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 06:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Day 4 - Porsche humbled @ Leipzig

having been informed the night before of our American hero being denied his reward our superhero shows up at the heart of the operation that has denied him his due satisfaction. Given the awkwardness of the situation both Porsche and our hero decided "detente" is the only answer. They know they've done wrong, our hero knows they've done wrong, but taking one's death star to the location and nuking and paving the factory from orbit will only achieve fleeting happiness - no we must be more strategic - we must preserve our greatest wrath for the true enemy of the people, the real reason we can't have nice things, the main culprit of much of the world's dismay and problems…Murphy's Law!! Yes we will spare these mindless watch makers their transgressions, and save our wrath, our anger, our pity, and finally our main death ray for Murphy - he needs to look out, cause our hero is coming for him and OMG when I find him - yes there will be justice!!! If nothing goes wrong during the attack…

meanwhile there is 75% worth of a Porsche European delivery to be completed - and we focus on the task at hand while planning our sweet revenge for much later

delivery appointment was scheduled for 12:30 - so one wakes up early cause one is excited - and still a bit in the wrong time zone. Leipzig is quiet, confident, and building bustle - my wife had informed me of my trangression in Starbucks cup acquisition protocol (subsection 3, paragraph 27 article 12) and I'm back at 7 am at the near by Starbuck for the "Germany" cup. Breakfast is leisurely and my party awakes this morning on their own schedule - there is more walking around this lovely city while we all wait for the anointed hour for our carriage to take us to Porsche Customer center in Leipzig.

Arrivial is a brief 23 minutes from the hotel, and if you've not been to Leipzig factility it is impresssive. What a gorgeous site. We walk in, get registered and everyone is oh so nice to our party and just a bit chagrinned due to the situation - but all is not lost - while I will not received my decrepit GT3 RS today my dear friend and college buddy will received his 2023 992 911 GT3 Touring - expectations are high - the bar is set…very high and we are on guard for any slight misstep so we can pounce. But Porsche rises to the occasion and we all have a lovely time, and myself and my friend will end today's odyssey with an acceptable but sub-optimal loaner car for myself and gorgeous 2023 Porsche 911 GT3 Touring generation 992…

for those that don't know a delviery consists of 4 main "events" in any order (you don't get to dictate the order)
  1. A fabulous meal
  2. A factory tour
  3. some track time in a similar vehicle
  4. the vehicle delivery itself
We arrive and are immediately granted a wonderful lunch in the Leipzig restaurant with a panoramic view of the test facility track and OMG what a track/factility it is. It's also busy with other Porsche' faithful doing their thing while we eat. Taycan's are leading Turbo's - Cayman's are sliding on the skid pad and every two of 3 minutes a Macan may be seen on the 1 to 1 replica of "the ring" carousel or the Laguna Seca cork screw simulation. Yes my friends the facility is stunning and I can't wait to drive - but first lunch…

After lunch we have some time to kill and it's easy - because there is a "mini Prosche" museum with more cars for us to absorb - well displayed, well curated, and with great amounts of information. The time between lunch and our factory tour passes quickly as we enjoy viewing the cars on display.

2:15 and we're up for the factory tour, a quick well done introduction video informs us of Porsche's mastery of manufacturing techniques and that this factory makes the Macan and Panamera on the same assemblly line, and is already modified for integrated and simultaneous production of the Macan EV. We deposit our various electronics in provided lockers (no photos or video's please) I think it was the longest my 21 year old daughter has ever been with out her phone since age 11…we walk a short distance and the curtain is pulled back and we enter the mythical chocolate factory. I'm a sucker for a factory tour and have been fortunate over the the years to be afforded opportunities for many - this one does not disappoint. Macan's and Panamera's (including the new Panamera along with the previous generation) are all being assembled right in front of us. The factory is noisy, but quietly earnest, chaotic but organized, but there is a sense of purpose and 500'ish vehicle's a day roll out of here each one of which is bespoke…and it's amazing how they pull it off. Our brief 45 min tour is hardly enough and I'm left wanting more but also eager for the next step…

The track experience - given Porsche's humility I'm in a position to demand most anything and I choose my request carefully. Normally one is afforded two 30 minute sessions of "driving" - you can choose track or off road and you or your guest can do one of the 30 minute sessions. My daughter is with me and I'm keen to give her her first track experience - so I've requested extra time for my driving session, and it's granted - we begin with a fun off road course with a new Cayenne - there are hills, river's, bridges, mud, every thing one could want to show off the capabilities of a world class SUV and I let my daughter enjoy the session - it's over all too quickly but well worth it. Next up is the main event…

I have been granted an audience and my seat time in a doppelgänger GT3 RS (Shark Blue) and the instructor picks a 992 GT3 as the lead car and explains the lead follow procedure - he will adjust his pace based on his assessment of my pace and we'll proceed from there. I get in adjust the seat, daughter next to me and we head out on to track - the first recon lap he's explaining basics of track driving the 3 blue cones (turn in, apex, track out) and taking a mild pace - as I am an accomplished amateur (renn list's words not mine) I'm on his bumper and line choice is nearly perfect, the pace quickens the instructor has less to say on the radio - by lap 2.5 the instructor has capitulated and notes I clearly have skills and he will cease talking on the radio so he can focus on properly waxing my tail in his "lesser" GT3 - and the real chase begins - I'm disappointed he can gap me in several corner exits, but the GT3 RS makes up ground in the braking zones - we are equally matched in straight aways as both cars have similar/identical power - yes people as speculated the GT3 RS will only be faster if you can drive it properly vs. the excellent 992 GT3 - by the last lap I'm finely getting "it' and I'm doing more RS things and the gaps are lessening - first time on this track for me, line choices must be precise if the RS is going to be faster than the GT3 - but the taste of what the RS could be is tantalizing - this car will only be fast with skill, not with brute force. The 992 GT3 is just too good to roll over purely based on name recognition alone - no the RS requires a driver not a financier to be quick. If you're not willing to invest the time and technique, the 992 GT3 will make you fast enough to embarrass most people - but the RS requires focus, determination, finesse and leveling up of one's skills, otherwise it's just another GT3 with nothing special - I can see greatness, but that's not going to happen today - for me it will take seat time, track's I'm familiar with and challenge me in my hobby - I'm not sure if I can master this beast, and only time will tell if I can be worthy of the RS as opposed to my pace in a GT3, but I'm willing to try and looking forward to the future…OMG I can not wait to get mine stateside and see if i can level up with this car…

the RS is exquisite but demands competence - a GT3 RS will withhold lap pace until you prove yourself worthy…you can match a GT3 - but being better than a GT3 - that's trickier with this guy.

finally we get some extra time and my daughter gets some epic seat time in a gorgeous 718 gentian blue Boxster spyder - the instruction is excellent and in a few laps my daughter is showing some actual novice pace and there is a big smile on her face - I may have just ruined her life - she says "it was fun"… I think she's hooked, but at 21 with no degree yet, job or career - we all know there is time but she's been exposed to the disease - we'll see if she over the years develops a full fever.

Porsche knows we have extensive travel plans, those plans were to include some travels in both cars. Porsche has arranged a loaner car. A base Cayman from Leipzig or a GT4 RS or 911 TurboS if we stop by Stuttgart - Stuttgart is a 4 hour detour from Leipzig and the day is late and I'm tired - the GT4 RS is _NOT_ a car for road tripping given it's noise level - and while the 911 TurboS is enticing it's still 4 hours out of the way - I choose not to subject myself or travel companions to the delay - and we head out for our next overnight destination Nuremburg as a way point to Davos switzerland - GPS says 3 hours - let's do this!! Some final photos, a brief snack at the cafe and we wave good bye to Leipzig and begin our journey - Murphy has a few more tricks for today - there is no carplay in my cayman, the PCM is all in german even though settings are configured to english, and Leipzig traffic is hideous - but after 40 min or so we achieve…escape!

yes my friends - we have unrestricted autobahn nirvana and I'm in a Porsche Cayman and my buddy is in 2023 GT3 Touring - let's do this! we are flying, we're having fun and it was epic. I had a great time. I'm not impressed with the Cayman, this is not a tight autocross course - the base engine sounds like a hampster trap, and the car is nervous on the suspension - put in "sport" mode suspension and the harmonics almost dangerously unsettle the car at 190 kph - turn that button off!! And is that a whiff of understeer on gentle curves of the bahn - yeah the Cayman is not for me -but it's a loaner not a purchase and my buddy is chasing me in one of the finest vehicle's ever made, his feedback is polar opposite - he's observing break in - so 5k RPM in 7th gear is only 120'ish mph - more than a match for the Cayman, but a walk in the park for the GT3 - he's flying, and the GT3's suspension dominance is evident. It's not nervous, it's not tapped out, it's engine doesn't sound like 67 hamsters screaming in agony - quiet competence and an urging to do more is it's game - this car was built for the autoban and it's dominance is oozing with anticipation - once the brake in period is lover this car is going to be be awesome…

we arrive hotel, under ground parking and collapse into our rooms - OMG what a day

Porsche tells me that Wed. was quite the sh*t show -once it was determined my car was non-functional apparently there was much institutional correction that has been invoked. This is simply not the Porsche or German way - my car was transported to Stuttgart, root cause will be determined, heads will roll - all future RS's deliveries will be better for it as Porsche finds root cause to make sure this never happens again - yes Rennlist I took one for the team, you're welcome! My RS will be fixed and send to California ASAP - Porsche was deeply chagrined and provided necessary effort to allow me to complete my trip. The Cayman is not my cup of tea but one could do a lot worse, and I'm looking forward to rest of the trip with my daughter, my friend and the epic locations we have planned - the RS is being diagnosed and cared for - and it will arrive in California in due time and I can feel it will quietly taunt me to be better, because that is what it will require, lap pace will be earned, not delivered - 10th's will only be shaved for technique not for pocket book and at the end of the day it will only reward mastery not simple presence in the driver's seat. This is going to be quite the journey - I can't wait to get started…

Upaid plug!!
Big thanks to Steven's Creek Porsche of San Jose- they have supported both myself and my friend in this endeavour and have always done well by me for my many Porsche deals over the years. I can highly recommend them to anyone for their Porsche business. Tell them I sent you so that they continue to treat you and I well! Even though there was the snafu on delivery - the arrangements, process, and actual purchase of the vehicle's has been stellar. And had my GT3 had it's unfortunate problem with a US delviery, experience has taught me that the servcie crew at Steven's creek are simply excellent and offer great factory/dealer service. Get your next Porsche from them! They have not sponsered me -I'm their customer - but with out their support and engagement none of this would be possible - I would have never had the joy and agony of a european delivery. I appreciate the fact that I'm doing this at all, even though there was a snafu. Thanks guys/gals!! We'll do this again in a few years hopefully!

some pics…
a future challenge
Hello Mr. [name]

Your GT3 RS has arrived in Stuttgart Zuffenhausen and has already been disassembled.

Due to a leakage, liquid entered the motor compartment.
The specific parts have been ordered and they are waiting for them to be delivered.

Concerning the tax document, you don’t have to do anything.

We are paying the German tax for your vehicle.

Best regards

[Porsche Employee Name]

[Address Leipzig]
so now we know - I'd love a parts list but doubt I'll get it - next step would be an estimated delivery date - wonder when that will happen…
Old 09-14-2023, 09:35 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

so now we know - I'd love a parts list but doubt I'll get it - next step would be an estimated delivery date - wonder when that will happen…
At least that is some news, albeit good and bad....but it is news. baby steps!
daveo4porsche (09-15-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 02:50 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

there is hope - website has "new" steps for my TYD delivery - it's didn't used to have these steps a few days ago - so someone/something has updated my "records" - hopefully not an accident but a tacit indication of progress on my vehicle being delivered to me after a month's delay due to quality control issues at delivery
  • Manufacturing complete 5/25/2023 - this we knew
  • Your Porsche has arrived at German Port - 6/5/2023 - this was never true and it's interesting this date is in the past - new information as of today
  • Your Vehicle has left the German Port 10/24/2023 - interesting - I'm hoping this is not some ChatGPT induced hallucination
  • Your Vehicle has arrived at Local Entry Port 11/23/2023 - interesting - again seems plausible - 🤞
  • You Porsche is enroute to your Local Dealer 12/2/2023 - again interesting - seems plausible - past experience shows this could happen sooner - fingers crossed 🤞
  • Your Porsche has arrived at your Dealer 12/3/2023 - this is very plausible - and from there no more than 3-6 days
well it seems my vehicle may have left purgatory and might actually be on it's way to me - looks like before Christmas might be doable - I'm hoping (but not planning) on a few dates being better for example:

Can we get it to the Porsche by Oct. 11th? Could it be on a Boat by oct. 20th? and then get to Benicia before Thanksgiving - past orders from Benicia for car's I've previously order there is not a week long delay from port to local San Jose Dealer - shave a week there…it's feasible (but unlikely) I could have the car before end of November

but this is progress even it some of the information seems to be a mix of historical dates that never happened, and future dates that seem plausible but un-necessarily delay'd - we'll see how this goes. I'd love to have the car before XMAS - it's been frustrating to have no information and no progress from Porsche

and just for the fun of it - the TYD website and the information inside teh myPorsche app competely disasgree with each other - the app has none of these dates but all the steps…ROFL - it's a good thing Porsche is so good at mechanical engineering, cause their data management and software skills still need a lot of work.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-06-2023 at 02:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
mthreat (10-06-2023), PHX (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:10 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

Have you considered flying it over? The cost to fly it has dropped significantly since the covid heights.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:29 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Have you considered flying it over? The cost to fly it has dropped significantly since the covid heights.
Last I heard it was $25k but that was a few years ago. What do you mean by dropped significantly?
Old 10-06-2023, 11:25 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
I have dreamed about it - but never actually considered - honestly I felt there was a 3% chance Porsche would do the right thing here and offer that as "consideratrion" given the delay…but no I'm not going to spend my money that way…I have @gmgracing roll cage to purchase and other track prep expenses to spend that money on (need a 2nd set of RS wheels)

at the end of the day I have my buddies GT3 Touring as a "benchmark" for what a non-delay would've looked like (same day delviery, same euro trip, same drop off) - and his is arriving ETA 10/27 or there abouts - so if mine is here by 12/3 - that's a about a 5-6 week delay - which honestly isn't that bad - I think Porsche doesn't feel that bad about a < 45 day delay - certainly not bad enough to expedite shipping at great expense

also I seriously hope they are padding the "car on a boat" date - 10/24-26 seems a bit out there for car on a boat on 10/6 - but we'll see…

the good news/bad news here is that since I didn't see/touch/drive the car in Europe I have the full break in miles to do here in the US once it arrives - I'm looking forward to posting impressions ala @Manifold thread - I've been told people would like that sort of thing.

at some level I no longer care how long it's going to take once I'm out of the "no information zone" - as long as I can get status and know "it's coming" the exact duration is less important to me - I went to Europe end of august - was told on the 30th it wouldn't be delivered on the 31st, was told on the 31st it had left for stuttgart, was told the delay should only be a couple of days (I was dubious on this), then nothing for 2 weeks, got conflicting "updates" 2 weeks later, and last night was the next update with app/web-site TYD data…so basically no information since Aug. 30th…

also the website might be wrong, I have recieved no _OFFICIAL_ communication from a human - the website data I've shared may not be accurate or truly mean anything - I'm going to wait a couple of days and see if Porsche reaches out to update me - and next week if I've heard nothing - send a notes saying - "guys TYD has some dates/progress. is this stuff remotely accurate? can you verify we're now on a delivery path?"

fun, fun, fun…
mthreat (10-06-2023)

Quick Reply: 2023 911 GT3 RS - The Quest…