Sponsored by:

Another lightweight glass broken - quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 07:41 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
seems like the blame for warranty denials is dealer level though. Like everything else going wrong with Porsche these days.
Dealers have allowances that they can tap into to cover these expenses without getting an approval from PCNA first. They will file a claim eventually but won't hold up a client and it proceeds in the background. Whatever warranty doesn't cover, their allowance covers. This is done as a matter of gesture of goodwill and isn't done consistently to each case/customer. It's entirely up to the individual dealership. All I see here is some dealers don't want the hassle, plain and simple. It might be because they are annoyed that you got a GT3 that could have brought them $120k in profit from somewhere else and they want to make a statement? Or they didn't like your attitude? Or they want their goodwill budget for their repeat customers that are likely to bring more business.

Summary is, this isn't letter of the law. It isn't consistent. I know dealers who work on warranty claims with customers that have Dundon's full intake/exhaust package, I also know dealers who will write up cars that have sport cats in warranty paperwork (true story) on an unrelated warranty claim.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:09 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,484 Likes on 954 Posts

This has become quite a thread. And what a wonder to see that Porsche isn't taking the bull by the horns. Disappointing.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:01 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Dealers have allowances that they can tap into to cover these expenses without getting an approval from PCNA first. They will file a claim eventually but won't hold up a client and it proceeds in the background. Whatever warranty doesn't cover, their allowance covers. This is done as a matter of gesture of goodwill and isn't done consistently to each case/customer. It's entirely up to the individual dealership. All I see here is some dealers don't want the hassle, plain and simple. It might be because they are annoyed that you got a GT3 that could have brought them $120k in profit from somewhere else and they want to make a statement? Or they didn't like your attitude? Or they want their goodwill budget for their repeat customers that are likely to bring more business.

Summary is, this isn't letter of the law. It isn't consistent. I know dealers who work on warranty claims with customers that have Dundon's full intake/exhaust package, I also know dealers who will write up cars that have sport cats in warranty paperwork (true story) on an unrelated warranty claim.
I count my lucky stars that my team plays fair and honest. Sucks for those forced to deal with bad actors.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:07 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
Lol, you're kidding right? Are you playing that zero experience card, just because I'm not as impressed with your pride and joy as you are?

Actually I have a MT Touring, and a GT4RS coming. I paid MSRP as well.

i'm just calling it as I see it. I'm sorry if my opinion hurts your sense of ownership pride. I own several Porsches at the moment, and I'm basing my opinion on my experiences, what I see at my dealer, as well as what is written right here. I have had a regular 992 Turbos S on loan for a week as well, tracked it too. I own a 991.2 GTS, and used to have a GT3RS, so that's why I mention that. I also own a Taycan and 981 GT4 if that makes my experiences with Porsche more "real".

I just don't think Porsche quality is quite what it used to be, and if you cannot see that things such as door rattles and cracked glass, failing front axle lifters etc. is unacceptable, that's on you.

I tend to not get so emotionally attached to cars that I stop caring about the quality or driving experience. If it does not suit me, it goes, exclusivity or future value be damned. I did this with my Pista Spider for example, which people seem to think was a short stint of psychosis. But it waa not as good as I would want it to be, so it left. I don't care, I'm not trying to protect the feelings of my dealers or anyone else. If it's not up to snuff, it goes and I make no bones about it. I make changes to my cars if I have to as well. I will gladly be the guy talking to a Ferrari tech and ask, why their brakes still suck when so much newer tech and performance is out there.

The only way to make changes is to speak up. We as ownser need to be vigilant in our approach to quality and service. If we aren't, the manufactures won't care because we don't.

I agree. Picked up my 2023 GT3 3 weeks ago. Beginning to regret swapping my 991.2GT3 for it.

the finish on the 991 was better in Elbert sense. From the aluminum door opening latch to the buttons and cup holders. Even the Alcântara felt better. My 992 rattles , I am taking the door panels out to place insulation given what I have read here.

I just placed a post on a gremlin I am having with the PDK which is not always going to Neutral when pushing both paddles.

Agree that the focus seemed to be cost cutting and not making a better finished car.

The only up of the new car is the new front suspension and the redesigned wing .

resorting to thinner glass to keep the weight the same as the old 991.2GT3 seems not well thought out. Could have built a titanium exhaust and saved the same amount .
Old 12-14-2022, 06:49 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
I agree. Picked up my 2023 GT3 3 weeks ago. Beginning to regret swapping my 991.2GT3 for it.

the finish on the 991 was better in Elbert sense. From the aluminum door opening latch to the buttons and cup holders. Even the Alcântara felt better. My 992 rattles , I am taking the door panels out to place insulation given what I have read here.

I just placed a post on a gremlin I am having with the PDK which is not always going to Neutral when pushing both paddles.

Agree that the focus seemed to be cost cutting and not making a better finished car.

The only up of the new car is the new front suspension and the redesigned wing .

resorting to thinner glass to keep the weight the same as the old 991.2GT3 seems not well thought out. Could have built a titanium exhaust and saved the same amount .
OK I get you are disappointed with the glass issue and other early QC issues - and I too have some rear rattles - but lets be honest, the 992 interior is miles ahead of the 991…my 991 is a full leather car with stainless trim and it is nice but the materials and design on the new car are far better

If the door handles bother you cover then in leather or change em….personally I like that they match the black trim I ordered

Last edited by Chris C.; 12-14-2022 at 06:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (12-16-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 07:21 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris C.
OK I get you are disappointed with the glass issue and other early QC issues - and I too have some rear rattles - but lets be honest, the 992 interior is miles ahead of the 991…my 991 is a full leather car with stainless trim and it is nice but the materials and design on the new car are far better

If the door handles bother you cover then in leather or change em….personally I like that they match the black trim I ordered
Agreed yeah this is like political outrage and threatening to move to Canada. Never seen anyone actually move.

go back to your 991 then, bet you won’t 😂
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 04:44 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 868 Likes on 420 Posts

related to glass...

My car has about 100 miles on it and 4 days ago I got Exoshield installed. Today I noticed these lines in the windshield that have a ripple effect. I don't remember seeing them there before exoshield. I texted my installer and he will be coming out to take a look, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.
One spot is about 8'' and another maybe 1''. All I feel is smoothness when I glide my finger over (inside and out).

Old 12-16-2022, 06:31 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 219 Posts

Could the Exoshield still be drying?

I found out the hard way not to use much ‘abrasive’ type force on the outside of Exoshield after it’s installed. I left marks in the film by trying to use my thumb nail to get rid of a couple of air bubbles. It’s not as rugged it seems as Clearplex, but certainly is optically clearer imho.

Last edited by thebishman; 12-16-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:37 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,484 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf

I occasionally have an annoying issue with my PDK paddles on TTS where I try and upshift with cold engine and paddle doesn't respond on 1st few pulls.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:07 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chance6
I occasionally have an annoying issue with my PDK paddles on TTS where I try and upshift with cold engine and paddle doesn't respond on 1st few pulls.
previous gens were riddled with gremlins, it was part of the ownership journey. 2015 GT3 sounded like the whole engine was imploding at idle. We are spoiled now.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:21 AM
David-France
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It happens also to my car, during transport, before delivery. Not sure how.
I have been told Porsche has issued recalls to solve this problem.

Old 12-21-2022, 02:36 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David-France
It happens also to my car, during transport, before delivery. Not sure how.
I have been told Porsche has issued recalls to solve this problem.

it’s been a problem for over a year. Haven’t heard of any recalls.
Did you get a recall letter?
Old 12-21-2022, 04:49 AM
David-France
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
it’s been a problem for over a year. Haven’t heard of any recalls.
Did you get a recall letter?
I was told about a recall by my Porsche Center in France.
I did not use the car, it has not been delivered to me yet !!!
Old 03-03-2023, 10:08 AM
geoffrey992
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me a few weeks ago on my 2022 gt3. I found the glass cracked parked in a safe residential gated parking...

First thing I did was go down to see The Collection in Coral Gables Miami where they told me they can't take it as warrenty because they said it was obviously an impact that causes it and that PCNA would not cover it. They said it would cost me about 2.6k to replace.

So I called PCNA and after a week and 2 follow up calls they denied my "good will" request....

I then resolved to use my insurance Progressive which send me to their glass claim department, took another week to tell me that they will help but only for about $1k which they think is the fair price for fixing this. Which means I'll still be 1.6k out of pocket when my deductible is $500 and this is not my fault.

Is there any other options? Both the dealership and PCNA refused to take this forum into account when telling my story...
Old 03-03-2023, 01:43 PM
supershaft
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 146 Posts

I think you have to go to a dealer willing to go to bat for you. My gt3 came cracked upon delivery and I'm still waiting for the parts so they can fix

Quick Reply: Another lightweight glass broken - quarter panel