Sponsored by:

Another lightweight glass broken - quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 09:06 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,491 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
It happens. If < 1% of those with new GT3s have cracked glass, a transmission PCM issue or something else easily remedied by the dealer as a result of being 1st in a new car, then maybe the .1 GT3 isn't for you. And L2 is correct, majority of the bitching is by those without a GT3 or an allocation. That part cracks me up.

It's human nature to complain or discuss problems far more than the upside
Well, gonna have to exercise my God-given Rennlist right to disagree a bit. If I did have a GT3 and the glass was cracking all over the place and waiting 2+ months to get a replacement, I'd be even louder. Cracked glass and poor assembly are not excuses. It's poor quality, straight up, and root cause needs to be found. Talking like an engineer now.

Nobody wants the quality to be great more than me! (queue up the folks saying "you don't have a GT3") - no s*hit Sherlock
Old 04-12-2022, 09:14 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,491 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
wow...strong reaction. I'm guessing you don't have a 992 GT3, as the only people complaining are sitting on the sidelines with zero actual experience to justify their disdain. (i.e. you and chance64 or whatever his name is)
Happily sitting on the sidelines with variable turbine geometry. I just don't get the disdain or ferociousness and personal attacks when quite frankly these are just cars and this is a damn car forum? What in the Hell is so wrong with calling out quality issues? I'm not attacking personally. JC Hope you get your glass fixed, FFS.
As I recall you were saying it was such a low probability of cracked glass, just a few customers, then lo and behold it happens to you! C'mon man, it's a problem.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:17 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,140 Posts

5k miles on my GT3 with many track days. No broken glass, no tranny problems, no nothing - except the Goodyears…
The following 4 users liked this post by raymort:
chance6 (04-12-2022), PET (07-23-2022), SB27 (04-25-2022), User 81423 (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:39 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Well, gonna have to exercise my God-given Rennlist right to disagree a bit. If I did have a GT3 and the glass was cracking all over the place and waiting 2+ months to get a replacement, I'd be even louder.
To my recollection, there was only 1 person who had to wait that long, and that was because his dealer didn't have a replacement, combined with the supply chain ****show. The rest seem to have their issues corrected in a reasonable timeframe

Happily sitting on the sidelines with variable turbine geometry. I just don't get the disdain or ferociousness and personal attacks when quite frankly these are just cars and this is a damn car forum? What in the Hell is so wrong with calling out quality issues? I'm not attacking personally. JC Hope you get your glass fixed, FFS.
As I recall you were saying it was such a low probability of cracked glass, just a few customers, then lo and behold it happens to you! C'mon man, it's a problem.
No one is attacking, more so poking fun at how dramatic you are and continue to be anytime someone brings up an issue with a brand new car. "FFS!" "JC!" "Unacceptable!" all while not having the car in question, or one on the way. It's odd behavior. But it is your "god given Rennlist right" to pile on if you so choose
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS:
Chonson (04-21-2022), jfr0317 (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:42 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 505 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
please, tell us more about you. 😴😴😴
It's funny that you are so upset about my post, and yet you are the one with a broken window due to a lack of quality or quality control.

Don't you think Porsche should be better than this? I do.

i think there is a lot to like about the 992 GT3 and 992 in general. My initial statement may have been a bit strong, and fine, I'll own that. But frankly I do think QC is slipping and that is something to be mindful of.

This is not about raining on anyone's parade, and I fully get that people are much more inclined to post about issues, than flawless operation. I'm just worried and perhaps a bit upset about the fact that a car manufacture which I very much like, seem to be headed in the wrong direction.

I specifically posted in this thread because it was not about trying to get anyone down. Your thread deals with an issue that seems as if it is growing into a general issue, and thus I find it problematic.

I did not want to start a thread or post negativity somewhere out of context. THAT would be trying to be a downer, and that was not my intention.

Last edited by Il CP; 04-12-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:10 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

I had to have my transmission pan replaced after 1800 miles and it took 17 days to replace it. Thankfully I got it back in time for VIR weekend. I’m at PEC Atlanta right now fresh from driving their GT3 like I stole it. This is the first Porsche I’ve owed after tracking BMWs for 12 years. And let me say, I’ll take any little inconvenience with the 992 GT3 to be able to drive this beast. I f en love it!!!! Best car I’ve ever owned; not even close.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:22 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

I have no idea what a variable geometry turbine is but this isn’t the variable turbine category, it’s the 992 GT3 category. I don’t go to grocery store cashier for accounting advice, ya feel me?

Originally Posted by Il CP
It's funny that you are so upset about my post, and yet you are the one with a broken window due to a lack of quality or quality control.

Don't you think Porsche should be better than this? I do.

i think there is a lot to like about the 992 GT3 and 992 in general. My initial statement may have been a bit strong, and fine, I'll own that. But frankly I do think QC is slipping and that is something to be mindful of.

This is not about raining on anyone's parade, and I fully get that people are much more inclined to post about issues, than flawless operation. I'm just worried and perhaps a bit upset about the fact that a car manufacture which I very much like, seem to be headed in the wrong direction.

I specifically posted in this thread because it was not about trying to get anyone down. Your thread deals with an issue that seems as if it is growing into a general issue, and thus I find it problematic.

I did not want to start a thread or post negativity somewhere out of context. THAT would be trying to be a downer, and that was not my intention.
no worries mate.. I do think it should be better, but I’ve had a lot of these cars over the years and compared to the drama of previous gens, I’d take a broken window all day. Sounds like you’ve driven your fair share as well.
Even when there was a catastrophic issue with my 991.1, I couldn’t really fault porsche because they took responsibility and rectified it.

The thing that gets me truly angry and brings down the wrath is when employees, vendors, or companies make a mistake, then try to blame the employer, hiring party, or consumer. It’s so rare these days for a large company to take responsibility and admit fault, then cover the bill to fix it. Porsche happens to have woven it into their core customer service strategy (especially for GT products.) If we sit here and tear them to shreds for doing their best, what’s their incentive to help at all if they’re going to get **** on either way? I think most married men on the thread will understand this analogy 😂

to those throwing Porsche under the bus, I’d encourage you to wait until you experience the product before casting blame. A crack in a window really doesn’t matter.

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
I had to have my transmission pan replaced after 1800 miles and it took 17 days to replace it. Thankfully I got it back in time for VIR weekend. I’m at PEC Atlanta right now fresh from driving their GT3 like I stole it. This is the first Porsche I’ve owed after tracking BMWs for 12 years. And let me say, I’ll take any little inconvenience with the 992 GT3 to be able to drive this beast. I f en love it!!!! Best car I’ve ever owned; not even close.
this sums it up 🙌

Last edited by User 81423; 04-13-2022 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:44 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

ANOTHER UPDATE:
This development may serve to make me eat my words in defending the overall experience with the Porsche service. If so, I will take my medicine and all the “I told you so’s” like a man. So get ready.

My main drivers side window is now broken as well.

One note: this happened like literally 15 minutes after I published my little diatribe above.

it’s totally clear now that the alignment of each of the windows is off and when the door closes, the windows collide. First victim was the small quarter panel and now the main door window has cracked.

even worse, the door window is now flopping around like it’s not attached…anddd I can’t close the door. So yeah, there’s that.

it’s bizarre that the service guy said (24 hours ago), we know why this happened and we’re going to double check everything is aligned now. And then it turns out it’s not aligned and the big window is shattered.

here is the drivers side window gap: you can see in comparison to the passenger side that the spacing between quarter panel and driver window is janky. E.g. they’re too close together

here is the passenger side:

Last edited by User 81423; 04-13-2022 at 01:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris C. (04-16-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 10:22 AM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

So that larger gap in your passenger side(2nd picture) is how it's supposed to be?
Old 04-13-2022, 11:05 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Respect for the transparency. Keep us posted as to the fix
User 81423 (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 11:08 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,596 Likes on 888 Posts

Thats so not like Porsche. Maybe pandemic quality issues/lack of staff?
Old 04-13-2022, 11:28 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Might be worth the moderators creating a sticky thread where folks can report this issue. I'm guessing others of us will experience it and a database of cases could help in getting it covered under warranty.
User 81423 (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 12:15 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I had to run out and look at the gap between my door windows. Here is a pic of the passenger side windows with window up. There is a pretty large gap between the windows. .About 3/8". Same with driver's side. I don't see the possibility of any contact between these two windows at least in my car.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:27 PM
Zero757
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
….About 3/8".
….more like 3/16“
Old 04-13-2022, 12:27 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I had to run out and look at the gap between my door windows. Here is a pic of the passenger side windows with window up. There is a pretty large gap between the windows. .About 3/8". Same with driver's side. I don't see the possibility of any contact between these two windows at least in my car.
Same here - 3/8 or a hair over, equal on both sides and I don't see how they could come in contact.
subshooter (04-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Another lightweight glass broken - quarter panel