Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 07:51 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
i think you are missing the entire purpose of this car. It’s not a cruiser, it’s not a grocery getter or a daily driver. It was purposefully made to be the most involving and emotional of a driving experience that Porsche can create under the current legal restrictions. They have always said it’s a car specifically made take out on that fun weekend drive, so it will be loud and raw, they wanted it to be an experience, a car to get out of smiling and want more. Oddly with your penchant for cars that are similarly brutal like Viper it’s rather surprising the S/T doesn’t appeal to you.

I had a 992 GT3 for 2 years, I rarely drove it on the street because it was quite honestly miserable on any road surfaces that weren’t glass smooth, and in Indiana we don’t have those. As I have posted from the day I bought it, it was spectacular on the track but ho hum on the street because the front end was ridiculously nervous, the car moved constantly all over the road and after awhile was simply annoying to drive. 992 GT3 Touring in my opinion with the same setup therefor completely missed the mark. The new suspension setup can’t be appreciated until on track, so driving to the store is a fun experience, but it’s not like driving a Turbo S which is like relaxing in your living room in comparison. The steering continues to feel lighter and lighter, and while direct and accurate and not Ferrari video game light, is not as enjoyable as older Porsches which felt more genuine in the sensations given. the biggest draw for a Touring is therefor its NA and manual…cool, we should be thrilled Porsche makes these still and get them while we can. What I am getting at however, is that it’s not some soft cruiser that will whisk you serenely to work in comfort/quiet. The 992 GT3 Touring is still a GT3, so it’s Emotional and loud, still an experience. But as I have said from day 1, Porsche should have softened the suspension on the Touring and dialed back the steering involvement somehow because as delivered it’s a car that misses the mark for a Tourer car. As a weekend fun car, bang on. You have a Turbo S, that’s the calm cruiser.

so my hopes with the S/T, and I will find out soon, is that Porsche fixed the suspension and steering which annoyed the crap out of me on the public roads, which sounds like they did. And that they simultaneously cranked up the loudness, rawness, driving experience that makes it a purely unique driving experience… again which it sounds like they did. My hope was for a raw, emotional special car that tingles the senses for those special drives, all with a manual NA motor and styled so one won’t look like a Putz with a wild color and wings…so for what I want in a car it seems like they hit the mark. So it’s a matter of whether you understand the point of the car or not. I have an EV for a daily driver, love it. I have cars for the track. But for fun drives I want something different, and hope ST nails it. If not, will be happy to say it sucks and will trade it for something else.
Too late now, but it would have been worth dialing in some front wheel toe in. I bet that would have calmed it down.

Ironically, I went toe out on my 991.2 and that really woke the car up. These cars are very sensitive to alignment changes and my car's setup was a mess from factory.

I would be very surprised if the S/T was not perfectly dialed in from factory.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:27 AM
Lee74
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman_fr
teasing

Are you sure you wanna spill all the beans?
Nice shoes by the way. Mine are just collecting dust in their box!

The following users liked this post:
Marcus799 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 09:18 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 1,359 Posts

i think you are missing the entire purpose of this car. It’s not a cruiser, it’s not a grocery getter or a daily driver. It was purposefully made to be the most involving and emotional of a driving experience that Porsche can create under the current legal restrictions. They have always said it’s a car specifically made take out on that fun weekend drive, so it will be loud and raw, they wanted it to be an experience, a car to get out of smiling and want more. Oddly with your penchant for cars that are similarly brutal like Viper it’s rather surprising the S/T doesn’t appeal to you.

I had a 992 GT3 for 2 years, I rarely drove it on the street because it was quite honestly miserable on any road surfaces that weren’t glass smooth, and in Indiana we don’t have those. As I have posted from the day I bought it, it was spectacular on the track but ho hum on the street because the front end was ridiculously nervous, the car moved constantly all over the road and after awhile was simply annoying to drive. 992 GT3 Touring in my opinion with the same setup therefor completely missed the mark. The new suspension setup can’t be appreciated until on track, so driving to the store is a fun experience, but it’s not like driving a Turbo S which is like relaxing in your living room in comparison. The steering continues to feel lighter and lighter, and while direct and accurate and not Ferrari video game light, is not as enjoyable as older Porsches which felt more genuine in the sensations given. the biggest draw for a Touring is therefor its NA and manual…cool, we should be thrilled Porsche makes these still and get them while we can. What I am getting at however, is that it’s not some soft cruiser that will whisk you serenely to work in comfort/quiet. The 992 GT3 Touring is still a GT3, so it’s Emotional and loud, still an experience. But as I have said from day 1, Porsche should have softened the suspension on the Touring and dialed back the steering involvement somehow because as delivered it’s a car that misses the mark for a Tourer car. As a weekend fun car, bang on. You have a Turbo S, that’s the calm cruiser.

so my hopes with the S/T, and I will find out soon, is that Porsche fixed the suspension and steering which annoyed the crap out of me on the public roads, which sounds like they did. And that they simultaneously cranked up the loudness, rawness, driving experience that makes it a purely unique driving experience… again which it sounds like they did. My hope was for a raw, emotional special car that tingles the senses for those special drives, all with a manual NA motor and styled so one won’t look like a Putz with a wild color and wings…so for what I want in a car it seems like they hit the mark. So it’s a matter of whether you understand the point of the car or not. I have an EV for a daily driver, love it. I have cars for the track. But for fun drives I want something different, and hope ST nails it. If not, will be happy to say it sucks and will trade it for something else.
We have all (unfortunately) seen enough of Roofer's posts to know there is zero point in responding to him. He lives for it. If we stop feeding it, it may go away or lessen.

He just compared the S/T to the Escalade V.
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS:
BlazinPond (04-15-2024), DontLift (04-20-2024), goin2drt (04-15-2024), Ukkid74 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 01:00 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts

You raise good points many of which I agree with. You have been a Porsche enthusiast for a very long time. What I found puzzling in your analysis claiming having a wing makes one look like a Putz. If I’m not mistaken many of your Porsches had wings.Change of opinion on winged cars?

Initially I didn’t understand the S/T. But after some thought I concluded the S/T provides the drama of a race car experience even though the car is not being tracked. You don’t need excessive speed to enjoy the car. I get that. I just question whether other Porsche models provide a similar experience but not as well.

Do you now own a 992GT3RS or have one on order?
Old 04-15-2024, 01:56 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Apple vs Android. Mean French people. All the greatest hits. This thread feels like a Time Machine to an early 2000s era troll. Very nostalgic.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:10 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Is the monkey 💩 everywhere again?
Old 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 963 Likes on 423 Posts

And don't forget about the GT3 Touring that he just paid 80k over MSRP for

911ST is no good, but GT3RS is good because it is faster with performance downforce.

GT3 with wing and downforce is no good, but GT3 Touring WITHOUT a wing is good because Roofer likes it

#hypocrite

Originally Posted by 993RR
@Justaroofer Please , please stop the nonsense chat. Everyone here knows how you feel about the ST ad you are not buying one - you are buying a 992 GT3 RS - better you spend your time on those forum threads. Thank you.

Last edited by unotaz; 04-15-2024 at 07:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by unotaz:
911Vintage (04-16-2024), BlazinPond (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 08:59 PM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

911 S/T in georgia in paint to sample Olive Green

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-15-2024, 09:40 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts

Can we all agree that the S/T is a serious road car coveted by most Porsche owners? Let’s end the playground crap.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick:
Marcus799 (04-15-2024), wdr911 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:27 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 655 Likes on 303 Posts

Olive green with heritage just arrived Into Hennessy in GA. Anyone on here ?
Old 04-16-2024, 02:44 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Ukkid74
back to normal programming !

look an ST

Gentian Blue with Silver or ceramic wheels? Makes me rethink going black.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:56 AM
Lee74
Intermediate

Without stirring up the heated debates and testosterone-fueled arguments, what's the deal with this "delayed" steering on the ST? Is there any technical value to it?
Does the S/T also get the double wishbone front suspension?
Old 04-16-2024, 02:59 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 2,833 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee74
Without stirring up the heated debates and testosterone-fueled arguments, what's the deal with this "delayed" steering on the ST? Is there any technical value to it?
Does the S/T also get the double wishbone front suspension?
The steering ratio is slower to match the lack of rear axle steering - there is no delay. Yes, double wishbones…
Old 04-16-2024, 03:09 AM
Lee74
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GrantG
The steering ratio is slower to match the lack of rear axle steering - there is no delay. Yes, double wishbones…
Yep, thanks, that actually makes sense
Old 04-16-2024, 06:24 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
There is an ignore function. It works awesome. Then when people stop feeding the trolls they leave and move on over to a different thread. I guarantee it works, especially when they add ZERO value.

I just hope we truly get some awesome driving experiences from people buying these. I know I would drive it if I got it. I am afraid at these crazy ADMs and lease deals they end up and C&C and garage queens. To me this sure looks like the perfect P car.
my ED date is in 57 days, plan to drive the crap out of it. Last summer did over 3000 miles in 2 weeks during my 4RS ED, hoping for a similar tally on my S/T. Obviously will be share my thoughts here on my likes/dislikes.
The following 3 users liked this post by disden:
cosmos (04-16-2024), goin2drt (04-16-2024), Le Petit Garage (04-18-2024)

Quick Reply: 911ST