992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023 | 07:45 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Crazy how AP said on the 911r they couldn’t get rid of the RWS steer because it drove like a truck without it, now they got rid of it….wonder if the fact it’s got double wishbone front made it better for this???

the facts are this:

1) 70 pounds lighter
2) lightweight flywheel
3) less sound deadening

all this should equal more fun to most

4) it costs 100k more (200-300k more a adm)

this should not be fun to pay and to 99.999% of people would not say it’s worth 100-300k more than a gt3

5) good thing it’s being sold to the 0.0001% of people
The following users liked this post:
whojoemama (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023 | 07:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
the facts are this:

1) 70 pounds lighter
2) lightweight flywheel
3) less sound deadening

all this should equal more fun to most
Don't forget +15hp (at top of tach) and lower gearing

Last edited by GrantG; 09-19-2023 at 07:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GrantG:
dave2020 (09-20-2023), Greek Car Geek (09-19-2023), welikethetrack (09-19-2023), whojoemama (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023 | 08:49 PM
Greek Car Geek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Let’s face it. All those that own a 992 Touring and either can’t get an ST or can’t afford an ST are going to say their Touring is better. Always happens. I want a review from some guy that could give two ****s. They are a decent driver, drive both and won’t be getting or own any GT cars. That will be the hopefully true and unbiased opinions.
Confirmation bias is a very real thing!

I want the S/T more than I’ve ever wanted a car. I’m a Porsche guy through and through. Most people never get to experience or own their dream car, and I could easily understand wanting to hear that the S/T was barely differentiated from a GT3 Touring, because great, now it’s easier to not want it so badly. But the truth is this: Andreas Preuninger (the head of Porsche GT cars for those that don’t know) says this is the Porsche GT car he MUST own, having been involved with 24 projects and not bought one so far (including the 911R). And if it’s good enough for Mr GT3, then the S/T is probably pretty special.

Last edited by Greek Car Geek; 09-19-2023 at 08:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greek Car Geek:
Carcam (09-20-2023), goin2drt (09-20-2023)
Old 09-19-2023 | 08:52 PM
Greek Car Geek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
Thank you. I just called my dealer to cancel my order
LOL
Old 09-19-2023 | 08:57 PM
Greek Car Geek
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know when the Italy press event will
drop on YT, or more like, when the embargo is over?
Old 09-19-2023 | 09:55 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Default Would you buy a Singer with a PDK??

really love the ST look! but i think is too big chassis and too competent in the front wishbone to mess up everything cutting the RWS bound to a stalling gearbox just to pretend to be an old school Singer

A kind of wannabe a lone knight with the wrong horse

i was astonished by the 992 RS on track and sold on this ST looking

, so apart the ADM game one could play reselling it , i would try to buy an ST only when/if would come with a PDK+RWS and ROAD tuned RS adjustable suspensions and possibly 4 seats

A not difficult and more coherent (to the 992 chassis) project

Indeed suited with the super cool wingless ST looking

Last edited by fxz; 09-19-2023 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2023 | 11:15 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
4) This guy hasn't stalled a Porsche in over 20 years, but stalled the S/T twice (as did another famous name from Porsche GT Dept). Something about the way the revs drop suddenly / new clutch design - especially in reverse.
Everyone thinks they want a LWFW. But truth is they are a PITA.
Old 09-19-2023 | 11:51 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And unlike the 911R, LWFW on the ST is standard.
Old 09-20-2023 | 12:09 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE
And unlike the 911R, LWFW on the ST is standard.
I’m still a fan of the SMFW. One will learn its quirks fairly quickly and the engine’s ECU will also learn over time to make operation smoother and more predictable.
The following users liked this post:
Greek Car Geek (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023 | 12:35 AM
Greek Car Geek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I’m still a fan of the SMFW. One will learn its quirks fairly quickly and the engine’s ECU will also learn over time to make operation smoother and more predictable.
I for one am excited by the proposition of a bit of a challenge in operating the car smoothly and chasing the perfect shift, guess I’m the target audience/buyer
Old 09-20-2023 | 01:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Originally Posted by Greek Car Geek
I for one am excited by the proposition of a bit of a challenge in operating the car smoothly and chasing the perfect shift, guess I’m the target audience/buyer
If what is said about the S/T MT is true, then it actually has a true MT, unlike the ones in the other Porsche cars, which are essentially PDK boxes with a clutch pedal.
Old 09-20-2023 | 01:14 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If what is said about the S/T MT is true, then it actually has a true MT, unlike the ones in the other Porsche cars, which are essentially PDK boxes with a clutch pedal.
Sorry, disagree with this sentiment entirely. The S/T has all the same automated functions of the manual in the GT3 (and none of these features detract from It being a real Manual). You can choose to drive any of the GT3 or S/T manuals as a “pure” manual, add auto blipping downshifts, and/or add no-lift upshifts. Extremely flexible and eminently satisfying to me.

The single mass flywheel simply means the engine has less inertia and is more responsive to the throttle pedal. It is no more or less like a PDK because of this.

If anything, the S/T’s gearbox is more similar to the pdk (in a good way), as its lower ratios are more similar to the first 6 ratios in the pdk than the box in the GT3 is like the pdk.

Last edited by GrantG; 09-20-2023 at 01:20 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GrantG:
Carcam (09-21-2023), Diablo Dude (09-22-2023), Greek Car Geek (09-20-2023), PTS (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023 | 03:31 AM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by Greek Car Geek
any car can drive with 3 wheels so its good because challenging

On a SMALLER and LIGHTER car the stalling ST Single mass fly wheel would match perfectly

While on a BIG and HEAVY 992 chassis (designed with Srealth electronic principles to handle dimension and weight)

sounds as an operation (like Heritage) to bring to the entire Porsche brand a Nostalgia marketing spicey flavour

They get the Nostalgia brand marketing for free , you pay, resell it later for ADM so you (can) get the money back
after all a win win but let's avoid this epic and silly narrative

Last edited by fxz; 09-20-2023 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2023 | 03:56 AM
Greek Car Geek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
any car can drive with 3 wheels so its good because challenging

On a SMALLER and LIGHTER car the stalling ST Single mass fly wheel would match perfectly

While on a BIG and HEAVY 992 chassis (designed with Srealth electronic principles to handle dimension and weight)

sounds as an operation (like Heritage) to bring to the entire Porsche brand a Nostalgia marketing spicey flavour

They get the Nostalgia brand marketing for free , you pay, resell it later for ADM so you (can) get the money back
after all a win win but let's avoid this epic and silly narrative
I know you’re trying to troll, though I’m having a hard time understanding your point, in a day and age where cars are going more in the direction of autonomous driving and further from heel-and-toe skill, coupled with the fact that the manual will likely go the way of the dodo sooner rather than later, I for one am excited by this transmission. It appears you think it’s challenging for the sake of challenging a-la 3 wheeled car, where I think it’s made to rev like a MotoGP and has the side effect of being challenging, and I’d take the latter to enjoy the former any day of the week
Old 09-20-2023 | 05:56 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
A manual itself is technically a pita compared to an automatic but so many of us prefer one that Porsche had to go back on their plans and reintroduced it in 2016.
For many of us, we look for elements that engage us in our sports cars and a good manual is one of them, a SMFW version of that is a step further, if one wants the simplest and easiest thing then they can get a TTS or a Tesla.

I did have an R and I like many others who did think the SMFW was the single most important ingredient in the R’s fairy dust compound. There is a reason cars with it go for an insane amount more than those without it, and it’s not scarcity cause I think there are as many more SMFW Rs than DMFW ones, so it’s because it is a vastly superior box and not a pita. Short of some magical new element it was the one thing that was a deal breaker for me if the ST didn’t have it, and as long as the ST was rumored we were told by the peanut gallery here that it was impossible in the 992. Having owned a 911 with one (never stalled it btw nor did it ever register to me as more difficult to drive than subsequent 991.2 box) and knowing what it adds to the experience I am ok with the price of this car for that element alone, everything else is just a bonus.

More broadly speaking, it’s up to everyone to decide if something that’s difficult is a pita or character or both. The 458 has a legendarily twitchy throttle. At 3000 rpm in low gears the difference between being thrown back on your seat or engine braking is half a hair’s width on the pedal. I thought it was the most wonderful thing in the world because it required me to be super precise with my inputs in order for me and any passenger to ride comfortably, others hated it and were looking for ways to code the twitchiness out of it so it can behave more like the throttle response of a base Carrera.

I can’t speak intelligently to nor do I have an opinion as to why anyone else buys a car, it’s their money and their sensibilities that matter not mine … but I have never heard a single soul on earth complain about the R’s SMFW, in fact only the opposite the opposite is true.
The following 6 users liked this post by soulsea:
Carcam (09-21-2023), dave2020 (09-20-2023), DontLift (09-20-2023), Greek Car Geek (09-20-2023), PTS (09-20-2023), Ukkid74 (09-20-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 911ST