Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 12:30 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
If the Porsche bean counters give me a 911 ST allocation (they won’t)

im going PTS delete No paint, just primer, don’t even paint the car. I’m going to put so many rock chips on this thing at the track it’s gonna need to be repainted anyways.

stop giving the good cars to automobile hoarders.

what these goofballs at Porsche need to do
is start tracking who’s driving the GT cars and start with the person who has driven the most miles in the last say 10 years and give him the first car, then 2nd most the 2nd car and so on…why is this so difficult?

instead they’re just gonna sell them to the old geezers that are gonna putt putt it around their warehouse garage and make sure the trickle charger is plugged in so when he keels over it can then be sold to merit partners or placed on bat so the next geezer can hook it up to his trickle charger rofl it’s like special edition GT cars are stuck in the matrix at this point
A business sells to people that want to buy their stuff . How they use it is irrelevant
people with more money have a lot of stuff that they don't need or use. This is life
The way I look at it , is good for them
Old 08-30-2023, 12:49 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
A business sells to people that want to buy their stuff . How they use it is irrelevant
people with more money have a lot of stuff that they don't need or use. This is life
The way I look at it , is good for them
In almost all cases, that is correct.

For a limited run car that is guaranteed to sell out, I don't see why Porsche wouldn't make it more of an application process so cars like this don't sit in the corner of an air conditioned garage and are never seen by the world. There's no right or wrong here, but perhaps some sort of application process would potentially eliminate the Manny Khosbins of the world from getting cars like these.
The following 3 users liked this post by PTS:
usctrojanGT3 (08-30-2023), welikethetrack (08-30-2023), Wilder (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 01:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I can see how the ratio of track relative to length and wheelbase (basically, the shape of the footprint) would be significant, but don’t see advantage to overall increase in size (size of the footprint).

I know larger cars exponentially increase the aerodynamic drag and limit the ability to navigate tight sections of a track.
I agree with manifold. A larger wheelbase and wider front track adds stability.

This is great for staying on the track at high speeds, but not great for the tossability of a sports car. All other things considered and smaller and lighter car is more tossable. Also better at autocross

But a smaller car is not as safe with high speed maneuvers on a proper circuit, compared to a car with a larger wheelbase and tire track.

I would definitely prefer to drive a 996/997 size GT3, but with a 4.0L engine.
I have a left knee issue that requires me to use PDK, otherwise I would own an RS 4.0 right now.

Last edited by Drifting; 08-30-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:04 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS

For a limited run car that is guaranteed to sell out, I don't see why Porsche wouldn't make it more of an application process so cars like this don't sit in the corner of an air conditioned garage and are never seen by the world. There's no right or wrong here, but perhaps some sort of application process would potentially eliminate the Manny Khosbins of the world from getting cars like these.
That's not a bad idea once the VIP program expires, sorta like what Ford did with their new FGT car years ago, and sell the car for MSRP but not allow the owner to be able to resell it for 1-2 years.
The following users liked this post:
PTS (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 01:09 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS

agree to some extent
but it is a slippery slope when they chose and pick who to sell to. How can they verify the information that people submit
also the people buying these cars and having them in a hanger are assuming the downside risk
say S/T tanks in price for whatever reason/s, and we buy them at half the price with low miles
no one then will be complaining
Old 08-30-2023, 01:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,043 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I agree with manifold. A larger wheelbase and wider front track adds stability.

This is great for staying on the track at high speeds, but not great for the tossability of a sports car. All other things considered and smaller and lighter car is more tossable. Also better at autocross

But a smaller car is not as safe with high speed maneuvers on a proper circuit, compared to a car with a larger wheelbase and tire track.

I would definitely prefer to drive a 996/997 size GT3, but with a 4.0L engine.
Here's an interesting vid I coincidentally saw today (the small car with an NA engine 1/16th the size of the bigger car doesn't look too shabby on a horsepower track):

Pretty sure this is just a simulation (video game), but presumably uses real data...

Last edited by GrantG; 08-30-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:26 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Here's an interesting vid I coincidentally saw today (the small car with an NA engine 1/16th the size of the bigger car doesn't look too shabby on a horsepower track):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8MBLQlRW0I&t=13s

Pretty sure this is just a simulation (video game), but presumably uses real data...
Haha, great video. I'm with Grant in this debate. NOTHING beats lightness (low mass) as a factor in performance.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Haha, great video. I'm with Grant in this debate. NOTHING beats lightness (low mass) as a factor in performance.
Yeah, I think we all agree about that. The size issue seems to be in some debate though. From the 964 to the 992 (~30 years), weight has remained fairly static while the size has grown considerably. Just wondering if this is truly helpful (given the same powertrain) with respect to performance (and not just luxury and comfort and safety). I tend to think not (and of course a 992 GT3 in the dimensions of a 964 would weigh several hundreds of pounds less, given same construction).

Last edited by GrantG; 08-30-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:34 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Not too sure about that. Do you have any evidence for that? F1 cars are pretty tiny…
Grant, that's the old days.

Modern F1 car, like those this season, are over 5.5m long and 2m wide. That's longer and wider than a LWB Meredes S Class..........
Old 08-30-2023, 01:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Yeah, I think we all agree about that. The size issue seems to be in some debate though. From the 964 to the 992 (~30 years), weight has remained fairly static while the size has grown considerably. Just wondering if this is truly helpful (given the same powertrain) with respect to performance (and not just luxury and comfort and safety). I tend to think not (and of course a 992 GT3 in the dimensions of a 964 would weigh several hundreds of pounds less, given same construction).
I see your point, and I agree with that, as well. Would need some time to figure out the math of the question, but my gut tells me that assuming equal weight, the ABSOLUTE lengths and widths are much less important (if at all) than their ratios, except for downforce where more (surface) is always better (bigger).

But the inevitable relationship between size and mass can never be avoided/neglected.

Finally, track performance matters (as it should) and Porsche can keep making halo track monsters. But the fact remains that 99% of its cars are bought to be mostly enjoyed on roads, especially backroads. Why not make halo cars that are optimized for that (lighter, smaller, more tossable), as well?

Last edited by hf1; 08-30-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
I see your point, and I agree with that, as well. Would need some time to figure out the math of the question, but my gut tells me that assuming equal weight, the ABSOLUTE lengths and widths are much less important (if at all) than their ratios, except for downforce where more (surface) is always better (bigger).

But the inevitable relationship between size and mass can never be avoided/neglected.
And the relationship between size and aero drag…
Old 08-30-2023, 02:02 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS

I love the idea. Replace the VIP program with a contract that forces owners to keep the car for minimum 3 years and put a minimum X miles per year. This is aligned with Ferry's philosophy and would differentiate Porsche from Ferrari and other marquees that are hoarded and put in glass boxes. I really wish there were less C&C and more driver clubs.
The following 6 users liked this post by Wilder:
goin2drt (08-30-2023), PTS (08-30-2023), shrimp money (08-30-2023), tourenwagen (08-30-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-30-2023), welikethetrack (08-30-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:05 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,197 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS

I feel like you're my echo

There's so little interest in his numbered Porsches, that he walks right past them when he goes to talk about the cars in his garage/warehouse. They should just issue trading cards for people like him, and they can trade on the value of a Porsche car-card.
PTS (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:16 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I don't think it's realistic to have a program where mileage, track visits, usage of the car can be monitored. And I don't necessarily mean an actual application process like Ford had with the Ford GT. More so the GM/ownership of the dealer having a baseline of pre-reqs that PAG or PCNA would like to see from it's owners of limited run cars. Look at their history of the cars they own. Do they drive them? Do they attend events? It would be pretty simple for the decision makers to know what the 1 or 2 buyers for their next limited car do with the cars they buy and own.

If they're bringing their Sport Classic in for a maintenance 16 months after buying the car and it has 120 miles on it, it's obvious the car sits. Point being, it would not be difficult for stores to track car activity for their top 1 or 2 clientele. If you want to be considered for such a car, you would need to provide some information. Hell I decided to do just that when trying to get an S/T. I pled my case for the car with vehicle purchase history, track visits, attending events, mileage, etc. They didn't ask me for it but I knew it couldn't hurt. Turns out it helped me quite a bit and my chances are looking good.
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS:
GrantG (08-30-2023), Greek Car Geek (12-11-2023), Marcus799 (08-31-2023), shrimp money (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:29 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I don't think it's realistic to have a program where mileage, track visits, usage of the car can be monitored. And I don't necessarily mean an actual application process like Ford had with the Ford GT. More so the GM/ownership of the dealer having a baseline of pre-reqs that PAG or PCNA would like to see from it's owners of limited run cars. Look at their history of the cars they own. Do they drive them? Do they attend events? It would be pretty simple for the decision makers to know what the 1 or 2 buyers for their next limited car do with the cars they buy and own.

If they're bringing their Sport Classic in for a maintenance 16 months after buying the car and it has 120 miles on it, it's obvious the car sits. Point being, it would not be difficult for stores to track car activity for their top 1 or 2 clientele. If you want to be considered for such a car, you would need to provide some information. Hell I decided to do just that when trying to get an S/T. I pled my case for the car with vehicle purchase history, track visits, attending events, mileage, etc. They didn't ask me for it but I knew it couldn't hurt. Turns out it helped me quite a bit and my chances are looking good.
Good luck with the allocation. I hope it pans out for you.
PTS (08-31-2023)

Quick Reply: 911ST