Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

This is the C40 approved Mobil 0W40:

Old 03-20-2022, 12:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,084 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
so, can we not use good old mobil 1 A40 0w-40? or better yet, mobil 1 5w-50?

I have a big stash of 5w-50
In this car, we’re supposed to use only C40 and only 0W40 and there is only one such oil, Mobil 1 ESP X3 shown by Lex above (and conveniently, there was a serious problem at the factory making acquisition difficult)…
Old 03-20-2022, 12:49 PM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
In this car, we’re supposed to use only C40 and only 0W40 and there is only one such oil, Mobil 1 ESP X3 shown by Lex above (and conveniently, there was a serious problem at the factory making acquisition difficult)…
I have heard this is only true for cars with the particulate filter, i.e. European Cars. For NA the A40 is supposedly good (enough)?
Old 03-20-2022, 12:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speedster
I have heard this is only true for cars with the particulate filter, i.e. European Cars. For NA the A40 is supposedly good (enough)?
Our Owner's Manual also clearly states C40.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:03 PM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Our Owner's Manual also clearly states C40.
I understand, however there may be information which supersedes the NA owner's manual?

It will be curious to see what various Dealers are saying, and if they (all) are singing from the same hymn book?
Old 03-20-2022, 01:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I understand, however there may be information which supersedes the NA owner's manual?

It will be curious to see what various Dealers are saying, and if they (all) are singing from the same hymn book?
Some dealers are using A40, only because they lost their supply of X3.

The NA cars do have all the OPF filter hardware, lacking some chemicals and sensors, perhaps. Not sure if this makes them immune to the issues of using A40 oil.

Also, C40 oil helps prevent LSI (low speed ignition).

Last edited by GrantG; 03-20-2022 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nerdtalker (03-22-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 01:37 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,131 Likes on 2,142 Posts

According to this document, C40 only still for GT3.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...08685-0001.pdf

Old 03-20-2022, 01:55 PM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

The NA cars do have all the OPF filter hardware, lacking some chemicals and sensors, perhaps. Not sure if this makes them immune to the issues of using A40 oil.

And, that was the point of the query (?)..does it only affect EU cars, in reality?

Hard to see Dealers going "blatantly" against published recommendations and practices, this could create significant warranty ramifications?
Old 03-20-2022, 02:17 PM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

Certainly confusing...........raises questions as to perhaps the NA cars still are shipped with A 40 and the manual is incorrect ....... caveat, I don't know but something is amiss!

From Mobil's website.....

Mobil 1™ ESP X3 0W-40 is an advanced full synthetic engine oil specifically designed to provide outstanding performance for high powered engines, providing outstanding engine cleanliness, wear protection, strong durability and advanced fuel economy*. Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 is our latest technology developed in cooperation with Porsche, one of our key European Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 has been expertly engineered to help prolong the life in new emerging gasoline powered European vehicles.

*compared to our Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 / Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30

Find a service location
No sellers found

Ask technical

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of leading edge components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Gasoline Particulate filters (GPF's). Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 has been designed to help deliver outstanding performance and protection in conjunction with advanced fuel economy benefits. Key features and potential benefits include:

**Based on industry and OEM standard engine tests

Features

Advantages and Potential Benefits

Active cleaning agents

Helps to prevent the buildup of harmful deposits to enable long and clean engine life**

Provides outstanding engine cleanliness and sludge control

Outstanding high-temperature thermaland oxidation stability

Helps to reduce oil aging for protection throughout your oil drain interval

Enhanced frictional properties

Provides fuel economy improvement versus Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30

Excellent low temperature capabilities

Quick cold weather performance to help provide protection at start-up

Wear protection

Provides outstanding wear protection**

Applications

Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 is recommended for high-performance engines requiring GPFs (gasoline particulate filters).

• Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 can only be used in the vehicles for which it is approved. It is not backward compatible with vehicle engines requiring an A40, C30 or C20 . ***

*** Always consult the owner's manual of the vehicle for the manufacturer's recommended viscosity grade and specifications

Specifications and Approvals

This product has the following approvals:

PORSCHE C40
Old 03-20-2022, 05:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

And, that was the point of the query (?)..does it only affect EU cars, in reality?

Hard to see Dealers going "blatantly" against published recommendations and practices, this could create significant warranty ramifications?
It applies to US cars as well. There simply was none of the proper oil available when the factory went offline.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:17 PM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

It applies to US cars as well. There simply was none of the proper oil available when the factory went offline.
Are you saying there was no proper C40 oil available to the factory, so it went offline? I don't think so, GT3s per TYD are still being actively produced?

The Factory wouldn't supply Dealers, a Mobile distributor would?

Did the Mobile refinery go offline?

I am still curious as how Dealers can mix non-compatible oils (per Mobil's own release above)?

Something is still amiss, there is missing detail, information and obvious contradictions.

IMO it seems with NA cars all A40 or C40 would be OK...but not a mix! Again per Mobil's release above.

You may read it differently, if so how?
Old 03-20-2022, 07:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you saying there was no proper C40 oil available to the factory, so it went offline? I don't think so, GT3s per TYD are still being actively produced?

The Factory wouldn't supply Dealers, a Mobile distributor would?

Did the Mobile refinery go offline?

I am still curious as how Dealers can mix non-compatible oils (per Mobil's own release above)?

Something is still amiss, there is missing detail, information and obvious contradictions.

IMO it seems with NA cars all A40 or C40 would be OK...but not a mix! Again per Mobil's release above.

You may read it differently, if so how?
A factory that produced ingredients for the oil went offline due to fire or other calamity.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:59 PM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

A factory that produced ingredients for the oil went offline due to fire or other calamity.
but there are still information gaps to be addressed.....

Do US cars get A40 or C40?

If the latter, how can it be mixed with A40 due to lack of C40 supply when Mobil says they are not compatible. One possible logical explanation is that US cars never had C40 to begin with. ...again, I don't know.

Bottom line, without knowing with certainty what is in the car the A40/C40 choice involves the incompatabilty risk. If the (US) Dealer is suggesting A40 then, to me the implication is that C40 was never there to begin?..or there has to be a technical bulletin authorizing such use?.... caveat, I don't the answer, but I do know I would put neither in my car until I had some authoritative documentation.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

but there are still information gaps to be addressed.....

Do US cars get A40 or C40?

If the latter, how can it be mixed with A40 due to lack of C40 supply when Mobil says they are not compatible. One possible logical explanation is that US cars never had C40 to begin with. ...again, I don't know.

Bottom line, without knowing with certainty what is in the car the A40/C40 choice involves the incompatabilty risk. If the (US) Dealer is suggesting A40 then, to me the implication is that C40 was never there to begin?..or there has to be a technical bulletin authorizing such use?.... caveat, I don't the answer, but I do know I would put neither in my car until I had some authoritative documentation.
C40 is specified worldwide. You are misinterpreting the Mobil info. It is not saying that A40 and C40 oils are not compatible with each other. Saying that C40 oil is not backwards compatible means that C40 will not satisfy all requirements on a car that is designated to use A40 (and vice versa). Mixing the two is not a big deal, but it won't be fully compliant with either standard.

Because our US cars have less than 100% implementation of all the emissions features found in RoW, this means the oil rating is probably less critical here (but I don't know to what degree).

I have no idea what oil is in your engine from the factory, but all you can do from here is use the most compliant stuff you can find.

I feel confident that my car had the C40 0w40 Mobil 1 ESP X3 stuff from inception (built in Summer 2021, before the shortage). I have no idea whether the Porsche factory ever experienced a shortage or outage of this stuff (although some dealerships certainly have). They may have had enough to bridge the period when the oil factory was offline, but I have no idea.

If you can't find the designated oil, I think the next best idea is to use another C40 oil (5W40 C40 from Motul, Liqui-Moly, etc.). Then if you mix (only half drains out), you'll still have 2.5W40 C40 oil

I think the C40 rating is more important than the 0W40 rating (unless starting in extremely cold weather).

Don't over-think it.

Last edited by GrantG; 03-20-2022 at 09:24 PM.
nerdtalker (03-22-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 09:34 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Don't over-think it.
Too late...
RoboSquirrel (04-26-2023)

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change on 992 GT3