Sponsored by:

DIY Oil Change on 992 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 06:41 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The oil no longer costs $100 for an oil change - Just 4 Liters cost less than half of that - total cost of parts and oil is now less than $100 (even if you replace both drain plugs and filter). And 2 hours is quite generous - probably close to 1 after you become familiar with the process.

Many auto parts stores will recycle your used oil for free as well (I use Checker/O'Reilly's).
Even better!
Old 01-03-2022, 10:01 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I really don't understand only changing half the oil at a time (from an engineering perspective). I understand Grant's comment about the environmental impacts but that has nothing to do with the care and feeding of this ICE engine. I wonder if that is how it is intended per the shop manual and how Porsche dealerships would do it? Maybe I missed that shred of evidence in the above comments.

For example, if you are only changing half the oil, you are really only diluting the degraded/contaminated oil by 50% so the next service interval will start off with 50% contaminated/degraded oil at the start of it's service interval. The third service interval will start off with even a higher percentage of contamination etc and so on. Granted, its probably more important to replace the filter than all the oil but this still does not make any sense to me.

Last edited by subshooter; 01-03-2022 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
steve9 (04-22-2023)
Old 01-03-2022, 10:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,084 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I really don't understand only changing half the oil at a time (from an engineering perspective). I understand Grant's comment about the environmental impacts but that has nothing to do with the care and feeding of this ICE engine. I wonder if that is how it is intended per the shop manual and how Porsche dealerships would do it? Maybe I missed that shred of evidence in the above comments.

For example, if you are only changing half the oil, you are really only diluting the degraded/contaminated oil by 50% so the next service interval will start off with 50% contaminated/degraded oil at the start of it's service interval. The third service interval will start off with even a higher percentage of contamination etc and so on. Granted, its probably more important to replace the filter than all the oil but this still does not make any sense to me.
Yes, the factory workshop manual instructs to pull the oil tank and rear engine sump plugs and specifies that 4.1 liters of the 8.1 liters total capacity gets replaced with filter change. Lex went to his dealer with enough oil to change the full capacity and had most of the oil returned to him. When I followed the factory procedure, only 4 liters drained out. There are 2 additional plugs where it’s possible that the other 3 to 4 liters will drain, but I haven’t tried (too worried that something unexpected might happen).

Last edited by GrantG; 01-03-2022 at 10:14 PM.
subshooter (01-03-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 11:56 AM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, the factory workshop manual instructs to pull the oil tank and rear engine sump plugs and specifies that 4.1 liters of the 8.1 liters total capacity gets replaced with filter change. Lex went to his dealer with enough oil to change the full capacity and had most of the oil returned to him. When I followed the factory procedure, only 4 liters drained out. There are 2 additional plugs where it’s possible that the other 3 to 4 liters will drain, but I haven’t tried (too worried that something unexpected might happen).
GrantG, could you please post oil filter and screws part numbers ? i would like to change the oil but cant find the part numbers to order the screws and the filters

Thanks !!
Old 01-08-2022, 12:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
GrantG, could you please post oil filter and screws part numbers ? i would like to change the oil but cant find the part numbers to order the screws and the filters

Thanks !!
I’ve been buying this kit (don’t have part numbers handy):

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/pkgt3992ofk.html

Comes with everything you need (rubber O-ring already installed on tank drain plug and rear sump plug comes with aluminum crush washer).

Last edited by GrantG; 01-08-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:08 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

$60 for a filter and 2 washers! That is crazy. That does not even account for taxes and shipping.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:08 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

i am in europe, not sure if they ship here .

Anyone with the part numbers could please post it ?
Old 01-08-2022, 12:11 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 935 Posts

I still believe the 4.1 liter draining is a mistake that they made in the workshop manual. This goes against every simple principle around oil and what happens to oil in the engine and how new oil and old oil when mixed together provides suboptimal protection.
very green R (07-15-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 12:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodneyr
$60 for a filter and 2 washers! That is crazy. That does not even account for taxes and shipping.
Comes with 2 drain plugs too (if that helps).
Old 01-08-2022, 12:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I still believe the 4.1 liter draining is a mistake that they made in the workshop manual. This goes against every simple principle around oil and what happens to oil in the engine and how new oil and old oil when mixed together provides suboptimal protection.
I originally thought so, but it is very intentional. I’ve followed the procedure in the workshop manual to the letter and only half the oil drains (as specified in the manual). I even have a friend in Europe who addressed this with Frank Stefan Wallinser himself and confirmed the above (no reason provided though).

I still believe it may be possible to drain the rest of the oil (or nearly all), by pulling the other two larger drain plugs (if someone is brave enough to try).

Last edited by GrantG; 01-08-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Captain_ (01-17-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 12:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
i am in europe, not sure if they ship here .

Anyone with the part numbers could please post it ?
I’ll try to find for you when I get home…
Old 01-08-2022, 12:46 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I dont understand why oil should stay in the engine more than 3000-4000 miles if you are

- redlining regularly (oil viscosity shears)
- or have short trips around town (the cold start rich open loop dumps too much fuel which again screws up the oil)
- or car isnt driven for 1 month or more for whatever reason (this is not good for any oil)

Oil change costs $100 (oil) + filter/plugs ($60) + 2 hours of your time. Thats $160 for probably the most important maintenance one should do for any combustion engine. Whats the problem in doing many oil changes? By many here 2 times a year to 3 times a year? Thats $500 vs $160, so we are talking about $340 of savings. Thats how much I spend on gas in 1 month at times for my RS. This oil debate always comes up in all brands of cars and I dont understand the logic of people who keep running long oil intervals.
The reasons for longer intervals are:

1. Lower maintenance for the customer. Most people just don't like the idea of having oil changed twice a year.

2. Reduce the environmental impact. Recycling oil costs money and energy. Synthetics are designed for longer change intervals.

From a personal perspective I would rather change oil more frequently because oil changes cost less than an engine rebuild. If you want to be OCD about both protecting your investment and environment, then have the oil tested at regular intervals to determine when to change. This is what municipalities do to maximize the economical impact on their fleets.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:49 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

With respect to the mystery of where the rest of the oil is, could it be that the oil cooling system is where it is at, not the engine?
Daft Chief (02-11-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 12:50 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

I’ll try to find for you when I get home…
i really apreciate it, thanks !
Old 01-08-2022, 12:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
With respect to the mystery of where the rest of the oil is, could it be that the oil cooling system is where it is at, not the engine?
No, don’t think so. Maybe a liter or a bit more, but not half…

And if the intent was to drain all the oil, they could have provided a drain in the cooling circuit and included it in change procedure.

Last edited by GrantG; 01-08-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change on 992 GT3