Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Oil Change on 992 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 04:13 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 915 Posts

Did anyone figure out how to get the entire oil out of the car? Or is the 50% oil draining now accepted to be how it is?
Old 06-28-2022, 05:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,969 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Did anyone figure out how to get the entire oil out of the car? Or is the 50% oil draining now accepted to be how it is?
No, I haven't seen anything more about removing the last 4 liters. I have some ideas, but not willing to make my car the test case

There are two large plugs that are the likely suspects (one was used to drain oil on the 991.2, but not in the 992 instructions).

It is clear that only half the oil is intended to be drained (I even had a friend confirm this with Frank Steffen Wallinser). But I still think it must be possible to remove the rest of the oil (but not even sure if this is a good idea - car seems intentionally designed this way). For one thing, you don't lose any oil pressure when starting the car after a change (pressure used to stay at 0 psi on the 991.2 for a few seconds and a CEL would light).

Last edited by GrantG; 06-28-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:12 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,146 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It was taken down for awhile and appears to be available again:
2021-2023 Porsche 992 911 GT3 Workshop Service Repair Manual Wiring Diagram | Cars-Technical
what are you buying ? A download in some special format? not adverse to spending the money just dont understand what you get and how easy it is to use? has anybody done business with them? carl
Old 06-28-2022, 05:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
what are you buying ? A download in some special format? not adverse to spending the money just dont understand what you get and how easy it is to use? has anybody done business with them? carl
I haven't done it, but a friend has. You get some kind of a file viewer that makes it very hard to share the data (but doesn't seem too difficult to use for the buyer). It does seem legitimate though (very complete information with illustrations, torque specs, procedure explanations with tools needed descriptions, etc.)

Last edited by GrantG; 06-28-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

I maintain my opinion,there's ZERO logical explanation for draining half the amount of spent oil from an engine...
Old 06-28-2022, 05:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
I maintain my opinion,there's ZERO logical explanation for draining half the amount of spent oil from an engine...
Well, it's logical (but we may not agree) if the reason is to produce half as much environmental waste...

I can confirm people who have had their oil changed at the dealership have also been facing the same issue (i.e. dealerships are not performing a total drain of the oil either).

And in many cases, the dealerships have been using the wrong oil to fill due to supply chain issues with the only approved choice, 0W-40 weight that is Porsche C40 certified

Last edited by GrantG; 06-28-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Well, it's logical (but we may not agree) if the reason is to produce half as much environmental waste...
I am sure they're just as concerned about the spent lithium-ion batteries,just as concerned with the environmental impact producing them...and more importantly,I am sure they are very very concerned how they are producing the energy to recharge them!
Old 06-28-2022, 10:59 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 915 Posts

I can confirm people who have had their oil changed at the dealership have also been facing the same issue (i.e. dealerships are not performing a total drain of the oil either).

And in many cases, the dealerships have been using the wrong oil to fill due to supply chain issues with the only approved choice, 0W-40 weight that is Porsche C40 certified
I thought thats the only approved oil for this engine. What other oil choices are there?
Old 06-28-2022, 11:06 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I don't think that is the reason though. Used oil is recycled and is not just dumped on the ground. There is also no regulatory forcing function (at least that I am aware of) that requires reducing oil that needs to be changed - particularly from such a small production car. Most companies don't get ahead of regulations and in fact most try to circumvent them similar to VW and their diesel fraud. Porsche is not voluntarily trying to be environmentally friendly. It doesn't matter much anyway since the oil is recycled.

I think the entire oil needs to be changed. Something is amiss here.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
I don't think that is the reason though. Used oil is recycled and is not just dumped on the ground. There is also no regulatory forcing function (at least that I am aware of) that requires reducing oil that needs to be changed - particularly from such a small production car. Most companies don't get ahead of regulations and in fact most try to circumvent them similar to VW and their diesel fraud. Porsche is not voluntarily trying to be environmentally friendly. It doesn't matter much anyway since the oil is recycled.

I think the entire oil needs to be changed. Something is amiss here.
I’ve been paying close attention to this issue and so far not a single person has had all the oil drained from his 992 GT3 during a change (whether DIY or done at dealer), as far as I know.

The Workshop Manual specifically mentions changing only 4.1L of 8.1L total, and Frank Steffen Wallinser (head of Porsche sports cars) has confirmed the partial drainage is correct.

When removing the oil tank and engine sump drain plugs and oil filter as specified in the Workshop Manual, only 4.1L drains out.

Not sure what else to say or do at this point…

Last edited by GrantG; 06-28-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:14 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I’ve been paying close attention to this issue and so far not a single person has had all the oil drained from his 992 GT3 during a change (whether DIY or done at dealer), as far as I know.

The Workshop Manual specifically mentions changing only 4.1L of 8.1L total, and Frank Steffen Wallinser (head of Porsche sports cars) has confirmed the partial drainage is correct.

When removing the oil tank and engine sump drain plugs and oil filter as specified in the Workshop Manual, only 4.1L drains out.

Not sure what else to say or do at this point…
Yes, I understand and have also been following the thread. It is clearly designed that way. I was only commenting that it is unlikely related to environmental stewardship. Perhaps, Porsche realizes that the engine oil lasts longer, or as you (or someone else mentioned above), there is less oil starvation upon restart by leaving some oil in the engine.
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 11:07 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

If you don't want oil starvation during start up after an oil change there's a solution so simple it will blow one's mind. It's called " clear flood mode " . It makes so much sense for so many manufacturers,but perhaps for Porsche it makes more sense to drain half the oil. .After you're done with the oil change you mash the gas pedal to the floor and then crank the engine over. That will open the throttle bodies fully and the computer will know to completely disable the injectors. So you are basically spinning the engine over creating oil pressure,without actually firing,so there won't be any dry start up wear. Let go off the gas pedal and the engine will start...done.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:19 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

They redesigned the entire oil systems (outside of the engine) in order to save some weight, so maybe this was just a simplification to the design to not have to support the use case of draining all oil in the system.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:47 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
If you don't want oil starvation during start up after an oil change there's a solution so simple it will blow one's mind. It's called " clear flood mode " . It makes so much sense for so many manufacturers,but perhaps for Porsche it makes more sense to drain half the oil. .After you're done with the oil change you mash the gas pedal to the floor and then crank the engine over. That will open the throttle bodies fully and the computer will know to completely disable the injectors. So you are basically spinning the engine over creating oil pressure,without actually firing,so there won't be any dry start up wear. Let go off the gas pedal and the engine will start...done.
Are you sure this works with E-gas? Pressing the throttle to the floor only opens the (7) throttles, if the ECU decides that's a good idea...

I know with my 993, I used to pull the fuel relay when starting for first time after oil change to achieve something similar...

BTW, neither method above is as good with respect to oiling as the current method in the 992 GT3. While starting the engine without actually firing it means it will not spin for too many revolutions before oil pressure builds, it is still spinning some revolutions without any oil pressure. When the 992 GT3 starts after an oil change, it has oil pressure from the very first rotation (oil never drains from the pumps).

I'm not sure if it really matters either way or whether it's important enough to redesign the system just for this purpose.

Last edited by GrantG; 06-29-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:53 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
They redesigned the entire oil systems (outside of the engine) in order to save some weight, so maybe this was just a simplification to the design to not have to support the use case of draining all oil in the system.
I think the real motivation for the new Carbon oil tank was to make a system that would fit in the Cayman/Boxster chassis when spun 180 degrees for the GT4 RS and Spyder RS.
The following users liked this post:
jfr0317 (06-29-2022)

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change on 992 GT3