Sponsored by:

I am not going with the new 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:27 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
Sure but if the OP was presented as something constructive instead of clearly antagonizing with the 'inferior' comments we would have a very different thread. We all knew what was going to happen when he started it off by insulting the 991.2 engine line as a whole.
You have tiny hands.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You have tiny hands.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Tiny is fine, "inferior"...
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Sorry guys, all Porsches suck because Ferrari's are better.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Nobody is in a 991.1 3.4 over any 991.2 because they like it. It's because they have to be.
This statement is total nonsense. You know that when you use absolutes like "nobody", it only takes one example to discredit your position, right? lol.

Not quite the same comparison for me but a similar analogy: I ordered a 991.2C4 specifically for the lower power.....but added the 4 for another $7k just for the visual appeal of 1.7" wider butt and then put in another $22k in options because I wanted to.

I also own a 981BS and wish I had the base so I can row through the gears without going to jail.

Both cars paid for.

Yeah, I could have gotten a GT3RS (if I could get an allocation) and then insult the 991.1 3.8 crowd like you did to the 3.4, but nope I got what I wanted. I'm not a track hound and the power of these cars is exactly what I wanted. It's all good. People get what they want. Why try to diminish their fun and pride in their car? Cheers
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subshooter
This statement is total nonsense. You know that when you use absolutes like "nobody", it only takes one example to discredit your position, right? lol.

I ordered a 991.2C4 specifically for the lower power.....but added the 4 for another $7k just for the visual appeal of 1.7" wider butt and then put in another $22k in options because I wanted to.

I also own a 981BS and wish I had the base so I can row through the gears without going to jail.

Both cars paid for.

Yeah, I could have gotten a GT3RS (if I could get an allocation) and then insult the 991.1 3.8 crowd like you did to the 3.4, but nope I got what I wanted. I'm not a track hound and the power of these cars is exactly what I wanted. It's all good. People get what they want. Why try to diminish their fun and pride in their car? Cheers
What are you talking about? My statement is about the 991.1 3.4 and not about a base 991.2. I think the base is the best buy of the bunch as the engines are all 3.0 with the same internals.

This isn't about diminishing anything it is about an absurd statement of the 991.2 being inferior to the 991.1 3.4 which is one of the lamest 911 engines of recent memory. How fondly is the 996 3.4 remembered? The 991.2 is superior in every measurable way. We would have to change the meaning of the word inferior for the original statement in the OP to make any sort of logical sense.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,029 Posts

What are you talking about? My statement is about the 991.1 3.4 and not about a base 991.2.

This isn't about diminishing anything it is about an absurd statement of the 991.2 being inferior to the 991.1 3.4 which is one of the lamest 911 engines of recent memory. The 991.2 is superior in every measurable way. We would have to change the meaning of the word inferior for the original statement to OP to make any sort of logical sense.

I edited my last post while you were responding: My point is that not everyone needs or wants all that power. People can get the base car and still afford a much more powerful Porsche but just don't want it......and be very happy with their choice.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

As much as I have my own personal preference on the topic, this debate is insane...

At the end of the day the argument has turned into 991.1 vs 991.2. Something that is completely subjective and based on personal preference/experience.

Can't wait for the 992 and the first "I am not going with the new 992" thread... Should be a total **** storm lol
Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subshooter
I edited my last post while you were responding: My point is that not everyone needs or wants all that power. People can get the base car and still afford a much more powerful Porsche but just don't want it......and be very happy with their choice.
That is perfectly fine. Not everyone is into power. I can respect that.

I can respect someone being honest about it rather than deluding themselves into thinking the 3.4 is a superior motor. It isn't. As a matter of fact, the 9A2 won its category in the International Engine of the Year awards in its first year of eligibility. The 3.4 did not.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

That is perfectly fine. Not everyone is into power. I can respect that.

I can respect someone being honest about it rather than deluding themselves into thinking the 3.4 is a superior motor. It isn't. As a matter of fact, the 9A2 won its category in the International Engine of the Year awards in its first year of eligibility. The 3.4 did not.
+1
Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

What are you talking about? My statement is about the 991.1 3.4 and not about a base 991.2. I think the base is the best buy of the bunch as the engines are all 3.0 with the same internals.
So... someone who doesn't want to go from a .1 to a .2 is an idiot or deluding themself because they can't afford it because the extra power of the .2 is absolutely necessary, but the extra power from the .2 to .2S is really completely unneeded?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
So... someone who doesn't want to go from a .1 to a .2 is an idiot or deluding themself because they can't afford it because the extra power of the .2 is absolutely necessary, but the extra power from the .2 to .2S is really completely unneeded?
No. You didn't understand the point.

There is no physical difference between the motors now. They are all internally the same thing. Carrera, S, and GTS. Even up to the intercoolers as I have not seen a different part number there for the GTS. If you want more power or to exceed the S or GTS it is not going to be a problem. They will all end up in the same spot in theory.

Saying the 991.1 3.4 is 'superior' to the 'inferior' 991.2 is indeed deluding oneself.

Hope that clarifies things?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Ah ok I get what you're saying now. I wasn't thinking of the mod aspect because I think modded cars are worse than the car they started out being. Just totally personal preference of course I know some people love them.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Ah ok I get what you're saying now. I wasn't thinking of the mod aspect because I think modded cars are worse than the car they started out being. Just totally personal preference of course I know some people love them.
You make a valid point on going too far with modifying here but another way to think of it is Porsche is taking the same engine and providing it in various states of tune. They already did a turbo upgrade for you.

What we learn from this is that clearly it can handle more power and torque than the ratings Porsche provides. The internals are much stronger than the 3.4's but hey that is inferior in some people's minds.

Secondly, Porsche is doing retrofits of larger turbos themselves. The pricing was announced the other day. They know people will likely throw an ECU tune on top.

I'm not necessarily saying you have to modify the cars or hack them up but you could take a base C2 and with a little work add on the GTS turbochargers. You already know it's a factory tested upgrade and the engine can handle it, right?

This is a new dynamic and certainly not something the 'superior' 3.4 can do.

It is ultimately personal preference but I'm not suffering an inferiority complex here with the new motor. I doubt anyone who has one is.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

I guess that could be the case.

But what if, let's say you take a base and put in all the .2 GTS bigger turbos and other bits, etc, but then find that all the magic software bits Porsche used to make it seem mostly lag-free don't translate over, and you have a bunch of turbo lag?

Quick Reply: I am not going with the new 991.2