Sponsored by:

I am not going with the new 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky

The 991.2 offers things the 3.4 can only dream about. While we're talking about the revs and response the 9A2 motor offers incredible spool and a fairly flat curve. It also revs out to 7500 rpm.

My theory is Porsche tuned it this way specifically to address those who would whine about the switch. As a diehard naturally aspirated engine fan this motor is not much of a transition.

You know what you have to do with the 3.4 to more power out of it once you are bored (which is basically instantly)? Trade it in for a 991.2.
Funny how the wait for power until 4500 rpm on the NA engine is an accepted fact, but whoa is me if I have to wait until 2500 rpm on the FI engine for an even bigger kick.
Look, no one wants the turbines, they are expensive, heavy and may have to be replaced one day. But they work, and allow for incredible performance and good fuel economy in one package. It's called change.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Funny how the wait for power until 4500 rpm on the NA engine is an accepted fact, but whoa is me if I have to wait until 2500 rpm on the FI engine for an even bigger kick.
Look, no one wants the turbines, they are expensive, heavy and may have to be replaced one day. But they work, and allow for incredible performance and good fuel economy in one package. It's called change.
It is kind of odd.

I get the traditional thinking but this is not a 1970's turbo motor.

Is there lag? Sure there is. It's spooling very quickly though and it is not some massive torque hit that then levels off but actually very linear. If you're into linear torque that is exactly what you get so what is the problem?

Btw... the new motor is lighter.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Agreed on all fronts. We'll be b!tching about full tq at 0 rpm when they start adding batteries... but it'll be faster and more efficient yet.

With regards to the 3.0tt... Porsche did it because they HAD to and not because they wanted to. Regulatory overreach demanded it. The 992 will be the giant leap and improved version... and then legislation change again
Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

False. It adds ~70 pounds behind the rear axle because of the turbos, intercoolers and plumbing. Well maybe the "engine" is lighter but the package is in fact not.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

It is kind of odd.

I get the traditional thinking but this is not a 1970's turbo motor.

Is there lag? Sure there is. It's spooling very quickly though and it is not some massive torque hit that then levels off but actually very linear. If you're into linear torque that is exactly what you get so what is the problem?

I thought the new motor was a bit heavier. No matter. Just doing break in miles on mine, really nervous when I hold a gear and see 5k on the tach. I've got a ways to go until I'm over 1,000 miles or whatever the bogey is.
I don't have an issue with whatever lag is there. The car is so fast for the street, frankly the slower the better for my drivers license.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
False. It adds ~70 pounds behind the rear axle because of the turbos, intercoolers and plumbing. Well maybe the "engine" is lighter but the package is in fact not.
That's exactly what I said. The engine itself is lighter:

There’s been a lot of discussion on weight…
The Gen2 is 30 kilograms heavier than the 991.1,
almost exactly. Engine weight is 17-18 kilograms
heavier. Let me say though, the engine without
the turbochargers and intercooler is lighter than
before. We then had to reinforce the gearbox more,
and so in the manual, for example, we now have
a two-disc clutch (the same size, unlike PDK) to
keep operating forces low and transmit this higher
torque. PDK is 20 kilos heavier than manual.
The additional weight comes from the chassis:
for example, the brakes have been reinforced so
they are suitable for higher power, plus the wider
rear tyres of course.

Last edited by sticky; 04-18-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned

I thought the new motor was a bit heavier. No matter. Just doing break in miles on mine, really nervous when I hold a gear and see 5k on the tach. I've got a ways to go until I'm over 1,000 miles or whatever the bogey is.
I don't have an issue with whatever lag is there. The car is so fast for the street, frankly the slower the better for my drivers license.
I didn't even bother with break in and my motor was measured as VERY underrated at 1000 miles. The output is kind of incredible actually.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:17 PM
R_Rated
Banned

That's exactly what I was said. The engine itself is lighter:
It's a mute point since you must have the accouterments to go with the engine that do make it heavier - in the wrong place.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:19 PM
RCD
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Rudest and most obnoxious? I guess you didn't read the OP.

Nobody is in a 991.1 3.4 over any 991.2 because they like it. It's because they have to be.
Yes, I read the OP. He clearly stated this was his personal preference and opinion. You, on the other hand, were presumptuous enough to attempt to speak for everyone, both in the quote above and your earlier post ("nobody wants it anyway"), and slammed the entire 991.1 base line as a "joke".
Old 04-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
It's a mute point since you must have the accouterments to go with the engine that do make it heavier - in the wrong place.
I think it is important to highlight the 9A2 engine weight saving measures so you have the correct information.

You stated there is an additional 70 pounds in back which is false. The total is 66 pounds for the entire car and the difference in back is 37 pounds.
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Debating the 1%'s who own a Porsche 991...in either form. Yet too cheap for a $17.95 membership to Rennlist. lol
Banned

Originally Posted by RCD
Yes, I read the OP. He clearly stated this was his personal preference and opinion. You, on the other hand, were presumptuous enough to attempt to speak for everyone, both in the quote above and your earlier post ("nobody wants it anyway"), and slammed the entire 991.1 base line as a "joke".
Not the entire 991.1 line just the engine that is shared with the Boxster and Cayman for a reason.

I'm allowed to have my personal preference and opinion as well.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by daberlin
Debating the 1%'s dream of a Porsche 991...in either form. Yet too cheap for a $17.95 membership to Rennlist. lol
I feel like with all the information I have to correct and all the work I'm putting in they should be paying me.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 PM
RCD
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not the entire 991.1 line just the engine that is shared with the Boxster and Cayman for a reason.

I'm allowed to have my personal preference and opinion as well.
Absolutely, and if you had presented it as such I would not have said anything. Please re-read my previous post.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RCD
Absolutely, and if you had presented it as such I would not have said anything. Please re-read my previous post.
Sure but if the OP was presented as something constructive instead of clearly antagonizing with the 'inferior' comments we would have a very different thread. We all knew what was going to happen when he started it off by insulting the 991.2 engine line as a whole.

Quick Reply: I am not going with the new 991.2