Sponsored by:

I am not going with the new 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:01 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Harsany
I love my 991.1S. I really do. It's a great car for me. I drove the 991.2S. I loved it as well. If and when I make a change the 991.2S will be amazing for me. Both cars are awesome. The GTS versions of each car are even more awesome.

If you need to offer your opinion on how much you hate the new car or how much better you think your current model is, then put on the Flame Suit.

The two versions of the 991 series are so good that arguing about which is better is just a waste of time IMHO.

P.S. The vacumn video is damn funny though.

Yes - we all look for self validation, to different degrees.

If I had to "advise" someone on what car to get it would be:

a. Fun weekend car for thrills = 991.1
b. Daily drivability with no fuss = 991.2

And before someone else says it... yes you can easily commute in a .1 and yes your can get much thrill from a .2 as a weekend car. Though, the personalities are very different. (Even though one sounds like a vacuum cleaner)
Old 04-18-2017, 05:04 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Have never heard one, but that's what everyone says.

Is it NA or Turbo?? Turbo I assume?

The Jaaaaag FTYPE ..
Noisy as hell, and the exhaust popping sounds like someone is banging a tin can under the car.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I came from a jag with that engine... EPIC engine. Had BMW, honda or a popular brand come out with that engine it would have been in every magazine everywhere. The engine is one of the best on the planet. 5.0 Blown V8 that gets upper 20's MPG. The F type chassis is finally getting to be able to handle the power plant. Its a luxury hotrod though and not a sports car. Think REALLY nice muscle/pony car.

Jag = jackhammer
911 = surgical knife
Old 04-18-2017, 05:24 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

I will also add the interior is waaay too small. Not enough leg room for me, and the seat bolsters really stick it to your kidneys. No luggage space to speak of. Makes the 911 almost into a practical car.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:24 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I came from a jag with that engine... EPIC engine. Had BMW, honda or a popular brand come out with that engine it would have been in every magazine everywhere. The engine is one of the best on the planet. 5.0 Blown V8 that gets upper 20's MPG. The F type chassis is finally getting to be able to handle the power plant. Its a luxury hotrod though and not a sports car. Think REALLY nice muscle/pony car.

Jag = jackhammer
911 = surgical knife
Agree 100%. The AWD is pretty nice too.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:26 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Is the JAAAAAG Turbo or NA??
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by STG
Is the JAAAAAG Turbo or NA??
Twin screw.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:34 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Agree 100%. The AWD is pretty nice too.
Much needed to put the massive tq to use in that pig... also very heavy.

If not for traffic laws... those pesky pieces of legislation... the jag would perhaps be more fun to go hooning around in. But you'll feel UNSAFE tackling and mountain roads in one.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RCD
I own a 2013 base and it is a great 911. I am sure the 991.2 is even better. There are those who have personal preferences that outweigh pure performance numbers, though, such as the 993 lovers. It really is subjective.

The fact that your response is the rudest and most obnoxious on this thread, however, is not.
Rudest and most obnoxious? I guess you didn't read the OP.

The fact of the matter is if you really are all about the naturally aspirated motor, revs, and response, you are in a GT3. Not in some tiny motor designed for the Boxster.

Nobody is in a 991.1 3.4 over any 991.2 because they like it. It's because they have to be.

The 991.2 offers things the 3.4 can only dream about. While we're talking about the revs and response the 9A2 motor offers incredible spool and a fairly flat curve. It also revs out to 7500 rpm.

My theory is Porsche tuned it this way specifically to address those who would whine about the switch. As a diehard naturally aspirated engine fan this motor is not much of a transition.

What it does though is it offers numerous benefits the 3.4 can only dream about. I already picked up 21 horses at the wheels with just a freaking plenum change. I haven't even touched the tune and that is coming up next. I'm going to have another 100+ horses without even touching the turbos and performance from a roll that I suspect will match the 991.1 Turbo or be close enough that people rethink spending the money on that model.

You know what you have to do with the 3.4 to more power out of it once you are bored (which is basically instantly)? Trade it in for a 991.2.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned

Twin screw.
It's a roots actually.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:50 PM
bogdan_p
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky

Nobody is in a 991.1 3.4 over any 991.2 because they like it. It's because they have to be.
You're not driving a .2 over a Turbo S because you like it. It's because you have to be.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bogdan_p
You're not driving a .2 over a Turbo S because you like it. It's because you have to be.
True. That $100k saved was too much to ignore.

Unlike most though I bought mine specifically as a modification platform. The 3.0 is new, the 3.8 isn't. Some people might see an opportunity to make money...
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Rudest and most obnoxious? I guess you didn't read the OP.

The fact of the matter is if you really are all about the naturally aspirated motor, revs, and response, you are in a GT3. Not in some tiny motor designed for the Boxster.

The 991.2 offers things the 3.4 can only dream about. While we're talking about the revs and response the 9A2 motor offers incredible spool and a fairly flat curve. It also revs out to 7500 rpm.

My theory is Porsche tuned it this way specifically to address those who would whine about the switch. As a diehard naturally aspirated engine fan this motor is not much of a transition.

What it does though is it offers numerous benefits the 3.4 can only dream about. I already picked up 21 horses at the wheels with just a freaking plenum change. I haven't even touched the tune and that is coming up next. I'm going to have another 100+ horses without even touching the turbos and performance from a roll that I suspect will match the 991.1 Turbo or be close enough that people rethink spending the money on that model.

You know what you have to do with the 3.4 to more power out of it once you are bored (which is basically instantly)? Trade it in for a 991.2.
So untrue. There is a reason a Miata has such a cult following... and it's not because it makes big power. Wringing out the 3.4 991 is beautiful. Making that little engine work for each turn in such a capable car is bliss.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Banned

So untrue. There is a reason a Miata has such a cult following... and it's not because it makes big power. Wringing out the 3.4 991 is beautiful. Making that little engine work for each turn in such a capable car is bliss.
Just so we're clear we're equating the 3.4 to a Miata now? You're making the argument for me.

Have you actually revved out the 9A2 and looked at the torque curve? Because I'm getting the feeling with some of these comments we're comparing a turbo diesel to the 3.4.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Just so we're clear we're equating the 3.4 to a Miata now? You're making the argument for me.

Have you actually revved out the 9A2 and looked at the torque curve? Because I'm getting the feeling with some of these comments we're comparing a turbo diesel to the 3.4.
Yes. I loved it and second guessed getting my C2S since my intent was to decrease HP to something I could push closer to limits on the street.

A 991.2 is unquestionably more advanced than a 991.1 - and faster. That does not make it more fun or enjoyable.

Modern music is more sophisticated and advanced. Does that mean old music now sucks?

Quick Reply: I am not going with the new 991.2