Sponsored by:

Show us your base C2!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 PM
CarreraJimmy
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Don't think I've thrown my car into this thread so here goes - a few non-professional glamour shots and a few working shots. Almost 24K flawless miles but I need to find some new back roads to run on. Only mods made are a sharkwerks muffler delete and custom made front grills (I removed the louvers).

Looks great.

Question: where do you put the track/wheels tires that don't fit on the roof? backseat?
The following users liked this post:
stout (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraJimmy
Looks great.

Question: where do you put the track/wheels tires that don't fit on the roof? backseat?
Yep - back seats. I have also put my jack on the roof rack but I am at the max weight limit allowed for the roof. Got the idea from forum member Arter.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:55 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
What a great looking 991.2 Carrera. Sometimes, simple is really really appealing. This is one of those times. Black, 19s, plain center caps. Needs nothing.

I might have gone with 19s had PCCB been available with them, as I think the design is the nicest factory offering for the 991.2 Carrera, and among the nicest factory designs offered on any 991.2. Had the design been available as a 20-inch wheel, I definitely would have ordered them. I wonder if Augment Wheel Company could do a set in 20x9 and 20x11.5 or 20x12…

Anyway, thanks for posting a pic!
Thanks Pete, I agree ..although I think we might be in the minority of those rims. When I was trying to build a 2019, a few sales guys told me whatever you do don't spec the 19's because no one will want it after. My lot find actually came with the Carrera Sport Wheels, which I also love based on their deep dish.

When I had to pick winter wheels I definitely knew which ones I was going for. I love the absolute pure classic look of the 19s. You have the iconic 911 shape with just a perfect spot on 5 spoke simple design. Funny, I also somehow had to pay more for the black centre caps than colour ones, but only wanted them. Does not need colour caps. I am very happy with the look of my first Porsche after 50 years(it was just off the lot in the end) and all winter when I approach it I am still amazed how much I love those 19s. Good minds think a like, because just last month I was thinking if I needed new rims, I would first thing check with AWC about somehow mirroring my winters in a 20. Those might even be more dreamy LOL.

PS. My avatar in full size for what it is worth, I think really captures the 19's.

And the Carrera Sports....

The following 3 users liked this post by nicholascanada:
Boulder Mike (04-02-2020), stout (04-02-2020), TennisGuy (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

^looks great with either wheel set. The std 19's are great looking wheels. When I was shopping for a 911, base cars with manual transmissions were rare. One of the choices was a base black car with 2 options, heated seats and sunroof. If it weren't for my desire for the Bose, that would have been the chosen car, 19s and all.

Last edited by PJ Cayenne; 04-03-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 613 Posts

Don't think I've thrown my car into this thread so here goes - a few non-professional glamour shots and a few working shots. Almost 24K flawless miles but I need to find some new back roads to run on. Only mods made are a sharkwerks muffler delete and custom made front grills (I removed the louvers).

Looks like you're running 991.1 19s on your 991.2—and like the rear offsets still fit within the rear fenders? That makes sense, as the 991.2 with 19s seems to position its rears and 295 tires a bit inboard compared to the 20s with 305s. Either way, nice looking base Carrera...silver is another color that works on these cars.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:12 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Looks like you're running 991.1 19s on your 991.2—and like the rear offsets still fit within the rear fenders? That makes sense, as the 991.2 with 19s seems to position its rears and 295 tires a bit inboard compared to the 20s with 305s. Either way, nice looking base Carrera...silver is another color that works on these cars.
Thanks, yes. I got a smoking deal on used 991.1 rims and R888R tires with life on them on Rennlist that I could not pass up. Saw from reading on the forum that others have done it successfully so I went for it. Fits fine and I am not good enough on the track to notice a difference one way or the other. Over time it should save me a few bucks as the 19's are a few hundred cheaper.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:22 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Thanks Pete, I agree ..although I think we might be in the minority of those rims. When I was trying to build a 2019, a few sales guys told me whatever you do don't spec the 19's because no one will want it after.
We may indeed be! And sales would suggest as much—and how very interesting on the dealer sales feedback re: 19s. On the one hand, they have more knowledge of what buyers want than anyone this side of the computer banks at PCNA or PAG. On the other, they have a vested interest in driving the price up as well as quick sales. A dealer once argued with an acquaintance who was ordering a 996 Turbo with X50 and no sunroof that the lack of a sunroof would be a killer on resale, and the buyer caved and kept a sunroof. Dealer's logic probably held for relatively new car on trade in. Seventeen years later, that 996 Turbo is still in new condition with the original owner, and I have to think it would be worth more today without the sunroof than with it.

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
just last month I was thinking if I needed new rims, I would first thing check with AWC about somehow mirroring my winters in a 20. Those might even be more dreamy LOL.

PS. My avatar in full size for what it is worth, I think really captures the 19's.
Nice to see that pic bigger. Thank you Seems like the 19-inch 991.2 rears sit in just a bit, but they're also wearing 295s, right? If scaling them up, I'd be tempted to ask AWC to do 20-inch rears that match dimensions/offset of the factory 20s, but add 0.5-inch width and/or account for a 5mm spacer to 20-inch fronts to eliminate the slight convexity of their faces. I think. Messing with "perfection" is risky!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:42 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

We may indeed be! And sales would suggest as much—and how very interesting on the dealer sales feedback re: 19s. On the one hand, they have more knowledge of what buyers want than anyone this side of the computer banks at PCNA or PAG. On the other, they have a vested interest in driving the price up as well as quick sales. A dealer once argued with an acquaintance who was ordering a 996 Turbo with X50 and no sunroof that the lack of a sunroof would be a killer on resale, and the buyer caved and kept a sunroof. Dealer's logic probably held for relatively new car on trade in. Seventeen years later, that 996 Turbo is still in new condition with the original owner, and I have to think it would be worth more today without the sunroof than with it.

I think they are "trying" to help buyers so that when you trade it in eventually, you get the most value for the car. Possibly also if they know they are likely to take it in, then better specd car will be easier for them to sell. Lastly, the 19's and steel roof are free, so certainly better to push sunroofs and bigger wheels.

Nice to see that pic bigger. Thank you Seems like the 19-inch 991.2 rears sit in just a bit, but they're also wearing 295s, right? If scaling them up, I'd be tempted to ask AWC to do 20-inch rears that match dimensions/offset of the factory 20s, but add 0.5-inch width and/or account for a 5mm spacer to 20-inch fronts to eliminate the slight convexity of their faces. I think. Messing with "perfection" is risky!
Correct, winter tire package is 295s. They have been surprisingly good in winter and glad I didn't buy into the aesthetics of 20s for winter rims...because these 19s also handle winter bumps very well over what a lower profile 20 would.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:35 AM
David Pflug
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Would love to hear more about the custom grills and see how they look without the louvers.

​​​​​​Any additional pictures of the front or how you did it works be great.

Did you do a center radiator?

Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2020, 03:58 AM
CarreraJimmy
Advanced

Just wanted to share more base Carrera goodness, recently paint corrected and PPFed.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

When i saw the first pic of your car with the 19's, I thought to myself, dang, those 19's looks really good. They look vintage and somehow really work with this car. If I had to do it all over again, I would get the 19's instead of the 20's.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:42 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraJimmy
Just wanted to share more base Carrera goodness, recently paint corrected and PPFed.
These 19s were also really good looking wheels, and black wears them well. I also love seeing a bit of sidewall, particularly at the rear. Of all the 991.1 press cars that came through, one of my favorites was a silver base Carrera coupe configured on the 19s with a 7MT and not much else. You had to work it pretty hard to access its speed, but I actually liked that on back roads.

Originally Posted by Thinc2
When i saw the first pic of your car with the 19's, I thought to myself, dang, those 19's looks really good. They look vintage and somehow really work with this car. If I had to do it all over again, I would get the 19's instead of the 20's.
And you still can—would be interesting to see if your dealer has any wheel/tire sets, or if you can find a set used, and then sell your 20s to offset the cost. Or keep them, and switch back and forth. These 19s aren't in demand, but they are fairly rare. So few dealers and customers spec'd them.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:46 AM
CarreraJimmy
Advanced

Thanks. Appreciate it. I consider getting the Turbo or Carrera Classics pretty often, but I get so many compliments on these I wonder if I should just save the money.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:03 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Me too, but we are lucky, the 20's ride very nicely. (Kudos to Porsche for the right calibrations) The base wheel on the 991 does not look "low rent" and if I DD'd my 911 in the NYC area, it would be my wheel of choice.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:44 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Me too, but we are lucky, the 20's ride very nicely. (Kudos to Porsche for the right calibrations) The base wheel on the 991 does not look "low rent" and if I DD'd my 911 in the NYC area, it would be my wheel of choice.
I DD mine as well, on crappy roads (especially in winter) and even that is enough of a reason to run the 19s..the fact that I adore their look is a bonus.
The following users liked this post:
PJ Cayenne (04-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Show us your base C2!