Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

OMG. That is awful. Really sorry to see what this hack did to your car.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:24 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
"Authorized" is what links Xpel to the deviate installer. Had Xpel not authorized the installer, there'd be no reason to reach to them. But once they've blessed the installer's abilities, they're invited to the mess too!

Good luck to you OP, I'll stick with some touch-up paint down the road.
Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
OMG. That is awful. Really sorry to see what this hack did to your car.
Thank you for the support guys
Old 07-22-2016, 05:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
The installer cut thru the paint with his razor blade leaving it loose and pushed his finger in the aluminum section below.

I'm still having a hard understanding what happened here. They scored the hood with the knife, but what in the hell kind of pressure would it take to break though the aluminum?? Holy sh*t. Get a LAWYER ASAP like mentioned. This is a first class train wreck.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Most expensive PPF install ever.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Most expensive PPF install ever.
I thought earlier this thread was getting out of hand and didn't belong here, but this damage is taking it to a whole new level. Very educational to the masses of what can go WRONG
Old 07-22-2016, 05:44 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm still having a hard understanding what happened here. They scored the hood with the knife, but what in the hell kind of pressure would it take to break though the aluminum?? Holy sh*t. Get a LAWYER ASAP like mentioned. This is a first class train wreck.

There are 2 razor cuts as if he cut the film one time and then decided to cut it next to it, cut thru the aluminum and push down...

Originally Posted by STG
I thought earlier this thread was getting out of hand and didn't belong here, but this damage is taking it to a whole new level. Very educational to the masses of what can go WRONG
It's sad that I was attacked for exaggerating or not accepting Xpel offer to take the car back to the installer but the pictures speak for themselves.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:44 PM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbelievable.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:54 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

That's the paint coming off the sticker under the badge. There is a sticker under every 991 Porsche emblem (no idea why) that gets painted over when they spray the car. Fairly often the paint comes off the sticker if put film over it and then pull it off. Not making excuses, just explaining what you are seeing.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

That's a hole through the metal! Holy s**t! I only put condom because of you guys. I like it raw. I should count my blessings for having my dealer pick the condom installer in house. I would've flipped if this happened to me! And the prices they charge! Ridiculous! Condom should be cheap.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:14 PM
STG
Race Director

PPF installers should be regulated somehow. You know how many hacks are out there, and how many hack jobs exist and the owners have no clue??

There's one hack in my town that the dealers continue to use who cuts up paint like its a fetish. Many won't see the true damage until the film has to be removed for replacement.

Someone should come up with a better product and one that takes much less skill to install. These PPF films look great with the right installer, but like I said..... Only like 10 guys nationwide I'd trust my car to. Not very good odds. Any hack can take up the profession. Razor blade, and a roll of film and you're a PPF installer working on $100K+++ cars.

I applaud XPEL for their training and trying to legitimize their network, but still way too much progress to be made.

BTW, my local hack isn't a certified XPEL installer
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 PM
jhbturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like you have the manufacturer making a pretty clear offer for you to bring the car to one of a few shops, remove and re-install the clear bra at no further expense to you. Will almost certainly look at this badge issue at the same time.

As a lawyer, that seems like a good offer to me. It's immediate, the relief is about the most one would reasonably expect to receive if having to go to court to fight for it, and you got the offer without having to incur any legal expenses nor the delay of filing a lawsuit.

No doubt emotions were/are in play to one degree or another on all sides. But if you were my client, I'd recommend you take it off line, call the COO and move forward with getting the car to an acceptable shop and one step closer to getting to enjoy that beautiful car again.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:26 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Thank you for the support guys

I am absolutely sick over what happened here. For the first time in my life I ordered a car (my 2016) and I am over 60. If this happened to me, I don't know how I would have reacted, but to be sure it would't have been pretty.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Cannot tell you how sorry I am for your ordeal. It is really a big decision to put a protective seal over your beloved Porsche both financially and emotionally as you try to network to find the best possible installer. Your ordeal is mind numbing.

I took a different route by asking the top body shop in my area who did the best job applying film to high end cars and then reaching out to local Porsche owners at our local C&C. I chose RDS in the West Chester Pa area and they turned out to be fantastic. They were very sensitive to my apprehensions and opened the shop up to me so I could see the facility and talk to the installers. Great group did a great job. Had them do my wife's Macan S too.

Hope you sort this out and get a positive resolution. Owning theses cars is supposed to be a pleasure not an anxiety filled ordeal.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Cannot tell you how sorry I am for your ordeal. It is really a big decision to put a protective seal over your beloved Porsche both financially and emotionally as you try to network to find the best possible installer. Your ordeal is mind numbing. I took a different route by asking the top body shop in my area who did the best job applying film to high end cars and then reaching out to local Porsche owners at our local C&C. I chose RDS in the West Chester Pa area and they turned out to be fantastic. They were very sensitive to my apprehensions and opened the shop up to me so I could see the facility and talk to the installers. Great group did a great job. Had them do my wife's Macan S too. Hope you sort this out and get a positive resolution. Owning theses cars is supposed to be a pleasure not an anxiety filled ordeal.
It's funny because RDS did my car too and the condom came out great...
Old 07-22-2016, 07:02 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car isn't even here yet. I've never used these products on any of my other cars, but you guys have just about convinced me to do it to my C2S when it gets in. My dealer even said the only people at their dealership who don't use PPF are leasers.

Having seen this, I'm leaning back to going bareback.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.