Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 04:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by inverterman
...removal of quarter windows, lights, and many other body parts to ensure an invisible application of the material.
I didn't see this discussed in this thread. When we talk about an install job being good or bad and about seeing film edges or not, it's important to note that wrapping the film around various edges involves cutting the film with a razor on the car and removing parts off the car. There are very good and detail-oriented installers that only work with pre-cut films (no cutting with razors) and don't get involved with taking cars apart (removing bumper, lights, or, as mentioned above, windows). Razor cuts may be hidden under the film even on jobs "well done" and are only observed 7 years later when the film is removed/replaced. Parts also get broken, missing, or not re-installed properly.

The fact that using pre-cut film, not dismantling the car, and showing some edges is usually cheaper doesn't in itself mean that the installer is bad or that he lacks attention to detail. Personally, I wasn't comfortable with the risks of razor cuts and dismantling parts off the car so I chose the less intrusive and less risky pre-cut film route for my last three PPF installs. A good installer will minimize edges seen within these constrains but some edges will still be seen. Doesn't bother me one bit. That said, OP's install was really sub-par and he was right to be upset.

On the question whether to PPF or not. The low nose and raked front of sports cars exposes not only the bumper but the whole frunk and front fenders to high-speed debris. So when anti-PPF folks say they prefer respraying the bumper every 5-10 years, they overlook the frunk and front fenders too. Not sure I'd be comfortable re-painting half the car every 5-10yrs. Others may differ. Plus, PPF tech has advanced. Self-healing Xpel is much more resilient to scratches, dents, chips, and swirls than naked clear-coat so a covered car will look much nicer and cleaner after 5 years vs an uncovered car with chips and swirls all over the bumper, frunk, and fenders. Especially for a car that sees the track even just a few days a year, a front-half PPF would be a no-brainer.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:35 AM
lstoker
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hf1
I didn't see this discussed in this thread. When we talk about an install job being good or bad and about seeing film edges or not, it's important to note that wrapping the film around various edges involves cutting the film with a razor on the car and removing parts off the car. There are very good and detail-oriented installers that only work with pre-cut films (no cutting with razors) and don't get involved with taking cars apart (removing bumper, lights, or, as mentioned above, windows). Razor cuts may be hidden under the film even on jobs "well done" and are only observed 7 years later when the film is removed/replaced. Parts also get broken, missing, or not re-installed properly.

The fact that using pre-cut film, not dismantling the car, and showing some edges is usually cheaper doesn't in itself mean that the installer is bad or that he lacks attention to detail. Personally, I wasn't comfortable with the risks of razor cuts and dismantling parts off the car so I chose the less intrusive and less risky pre-cut film route for my last three PPF installs. A good installer will minimize edges seen within these constrains but some edges will still be seen. Doesn't bother me one bit. That said, OP's install was really sub-par and he was right to be upset.

On the question whether to PPF or not. The low nose and raked front of sports cars exposes not only the bumper but the whole frunk and front fenders to high-speed debris. So when anti-PPF folks say they prefer respraying the bumper every 5-10 years, they overlook the frunk and front fenders too. Not sure I'd be comfortable re-painting half the car every 5-10yrs. Others may differ. Plus, PPF tech has advanced. Self-healing Xpel is much more resilient to scratches, dents, chips, and swirls than naked clear-coat so a covered car will look much nicer and cleaner after 5 years vs an uncovered car with chips and swirls all over the bumper, frunk, and fenders. Especially for a car that sees the track even just a few days a year, a front-half PPF would be a no-brainer.
@hf1 That's a good point and is a crucial discussion when "interviewing" PPF installers. At one time cutting the film made me extremely anxious as well, but after having more than a dozen cars with PPF I'm more comfortable asking questions with the installers and examining their technique. While you are correct that for many custom pieces the film is cut on the car, a good installer should never cut all the way through the film. For thicker films like Suntek and Xpel there are actually layers within the film itself and they should score the top before going all the way through the adhesive layer. I once had an installer have me hold a piece of film on the back of my hand and he cut a straight line without me ever feeling anything. As many have said on here, it's an art and you don't always get what you pay for. Ask around, look at installs, and talk to the installer. Most of the good ones will understand the concerns and actually enjoy showing you how they do it and why you shouldn't worry with them. Just my 2 cents!
Old 11-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Each dealer has an installer they work with. They could be the worst in the area or the best. So of course people's experiences at different dealerships will vary.
That is absolutely correct. The first dealership that did my 2018 718 CS did a horrible job X2 using Llumar Ultimate. I then purchased a 3RS from a different dealership and they didn't have an in house installer but recommended a few. I chose from the recommended installers based upon published reviews and word of mouth and had full Suntek Ultra coverage on my 3RS to include headlights and illuminated carbon fiber door sills and the installer did an incredible job. I have over 3K miles on my 2019 3RS and it is chip free.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:53 AM
JeanzC8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPEL Istall

I literally just went through this same scenario with one of XPEL installers. It is a nightmare to say the least! I have emailed them and then spoke with an XPEL rep Who did actually email me prep procedures and sealant procedure for the edges. When I showed this to their installer, Tops & Stripes Inc. tells me that their XPEL reps Don’t know what they’re talking about. They just answer the phones. They told me this Because they did not prepare the car before insulation properly. They also power washed my vehicle, which is not to be power washed on a mid engine. We discussed this at the time I put the deposit down for Excel installer acting as if he knew that it could not be power washed, I was in shock when I went and picked up my vehicle. I have spent thousands of dollars and they still cannot make it right. I have asked them if I can make an appointment to take it off and I will even pay them. They will not make me an appointment I believe because they have scuffed my clearcoat up on the front of my brand new 70 anniversary Corvette. I could’ve done a better job at home than what they have done. XPEL does not have reputable installers. They need to double check their installers and School them a lot better.

Attached Images   

Last edited by JeanzC8; 07-03-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:37 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

I purchased my car new from a dealer in 2012. They or their subcontractor installed plastic over the bumper, front of fenders, headlights. The first try was not really very good and the second attempt was poor. I gave up. It was a new car, the work was passable at 10 feet and I just didn't want to argue on my behalf (I'm a lawyer, retired now and I do not like to represent myself). Looking back on the incident, no amount of complaining would have worked at the installer was not up to the job.

seamless, smooth, and properly edge wrapped.

I recently had the entire car repainted (there is a thread) and after curing the paint it was wrapped in Xpel and they did a great job - Modern Elix https://modernelix.com/?gad_source=1...xoCDxYQAvD_BwE.

- Full hood, headlights, fenders, roof to beginning of sunroof, windshield pillars
- rocker panels to rear fenders around rear wheel wells and behind rear wheels.

There are good and bad practitioners in every field.

The following 2 users liked this post by rnl:
Watson (07-06-2024), XPEL (07-08-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 09:05 AM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paid by credit card?? Dispute and see what happens

chuck
Old 07-04-2024, 09:25 AM
bill edwards
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black and dark colors are hard to solution as good as lighter colors as i have seen. To me and what i have observed folks here around Atlanta get information from PCA members mostly before using the shop. Some may aslk product reps . As we have 4000 members , our internal FB almost always has recommendations for anything based on many members experiences.
i see some of the issues that would be hard to support as being “normal”. Especially the creases . Those under the intake air way down low where pieces of material are matched together are normal as i have seen from other cars. The light on pictures made it difficult to see most . Black reflection of light os tough with pictures. Seems as many in Va area having Porsches, the local PCA club would have excellent recommendations.

hope you get it all sorted out. My car being black metallic was tough .
Old 07-04-2024, 11:14 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,171 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by JeanzC8
I literally just went through this same scenario with one of XPEL installers. It is a nightmare to say the least! I have emailed them and then spoke with an XPEL rep Who did actually email me prep procedures and sealant procedure for the edges. When I showed this to their installer, Tops & Stripes Inc. tells me that their XPEL reps Don’t know what they’re talking about. They just answer the phones. They told me this Because they did not prepare the car before insulation properly. They also power washed my vehicle, which is not to be power washed on a mid engine. We discussed this at the time I put the deposit down for Excel installer acting as if he knew that it could not be power washed, I was in shock when I went and picked up my vehicle. I have spent thousands of dollars and they still cannot make it right. I have asked them if I can make an appointment to take it off and I will even pay them. They will not make me an appointment I believe because they have scuffed my clearcoat up on the front of my brand new 70 anniversary Corvette. I could’ve done a better job at home than what they have done. XPEL does not have reputable installers. They need to double check their installers and School them a lot better.
first post is resurrection of a 6 year dead zombie post, to post problems with a Corvette … I think you’re a bit lost, but you’re in good company
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
K996 (07-04-2024), wkearney99 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 12:01 AM
JeanzC8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
first post is resurrection of a 6 year dead zombie post, to post problems with a Corvette … I think you’re a bit lost, but you’re in good company
I am sorry I am a bit lost to say the least about this XPEL PPF. Thank you for understanding though and letting me know I am in good company as I also have been looking into getting the new 2024 Porsche 911. Very kind of you to be nice about this. Thanks
Old 07-06-2024, 07:29 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl

I recently had the entire car repainted (there is a thread) and after curing the paint it was wrapped in Xpel and they did a great job - Modern Elix https://modernelix.com/?gad_source=1...xoCDxYQAvD_BwE.

- Full hood, headlights, fenders, roof to beginning of sunroof, windshield pillars
- rocker panels to rear fenders around rear wheel wells and behind rear wheels.

There are good and bad practitioners in every field.
nice to see a modern 911 get fully repainted! can you share the link to your thread about your car repaint? Thanks!
Old 07-06-2024, 08:59 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
nice to see a modern 911 get fully repainted! can you share the link to your thread about your car repaint? Thanks!
Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1408...p-in-road.html

not a planned endeavor - a result of a stone storm from a gravel truck.

I believe that the result is better than factory delivered - certainly, the bumpers were fitted better.
Old 07-06-2024, 10:08 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,176 Likes on 708 Posts

The best product in the world is crap if not installed properly.
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 04:35 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
The best product in the world is crap if not installed properly.
1000% Truth! I always tell people the same...I'm an enthusiast first. I'd absolutely tell anyone go for the technician first, film second.

-Chris

Old 07-08-2024, 04:41 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JeanzC8
I am sorry I am a bit lost to say the least about this XPEL PPF. Thank you for understanding though and letting me know I am in good company as I also have been looking into getting the new 2024 Porsche 911. Very kind of you to be nice about this. Thanks
Hiya JeanzC8! I understand a Rep has reached out to you and is actively working on rectifying your situation. I run our original corporate installation market so if there's anything I can assist with on my end please let me know. I've been using these products since 2000 and started working for XPEL Corporate in 2015.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.