Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I get some of your opinion on Xpel? The install was completed about two days ago. Should I still see the lines all over the car after the installation?

Any feedback/opinion is helpful.

Last edited by MinMay; 08-07-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:34 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine had some squeegee marks on the day I picked it up. The installer recommended I polish with the wax/polish of my choice. I used Zaino and they went away.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:29 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Mine had some squeegee marks on the day I picked it up. The installer recommended I polish with the wax/polish of my choice. I used Zaino and they went away.
Thanks for the info. Installer makes you polish the car after?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:09 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier
Seams are normal for precut patterns, especially when it comes to the front bumper, hood corners, fender edges, etc.

Getting an experienced custom applicator would eliminate most of these seams; however, custom application is far more difficult to do...so finding one capable of doing a better job than a precut applier is an uphill battle.

Below are photos of how a custom app looks like (do note that not all custom installers are equal)

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/pre....jpg.html?o=23

Curious, what's the name of this paint color?
Old 08-06-2016, 07:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Geiss
Curious, what's the name of this paint color?
Maybe Fashion Grey??
Old 08-06-2016, 11:38 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MinMay
Thanks for the info. Installer makes you polish the car after?
Make me? No. Advise me to do so? Yes.

I wouldn't expect a paint film installer to do it for me any more than I'd expect a dentist to do a physical.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Make me? No. Advise me to do so? Yes.

I wouldn't expect a paint film installer to do it for me any more than I'd expect a dentist to do a physical.
They've started recording BP and pulse at my dentist's office over the last year or so. I can't think of a worse place to acquire that sort of data, but that's just me...
Old 08-06-2016, 10:49 PM
daedae
Intermediate

I just got my car back from having Xpel and c-quartz finest applied. I had the pre-cut put on as the person who I wanted to do the custom job is away for another month.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my dealer do the install - Porsche of the Main Line in Newtown Square, PA. Their installers have been trained and certified by XPEL and it shows. I never even think about it except when cleaning the car - it's virtually undetectable, as it should be. The job that was done on the OP's car is just unacceptable. I like Chuck V's suggestion of disputing the credit card charge.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:11 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I had my dealer do the install - Porsche of the Main Line in Newtown Square, PA. Their installers have been trained and certified by XPEL and it shows. I never even think about it except when cleaning the car - it's virtually undetectable, as it should be. The job that was done on the OP's car is just unacceptable. I like Chuck V's suggestion of disputing the credit card charge.
I had mine done here as well and I think they did a pretty good job, but clearly not perfect. I have my entire car covered at this point, and I have come to the conclusion that nothing is perfect. For the most part it looks really good. Perfect? No.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosell
I would too, but in that scenario I just don't think I would make Porsche the title/focus of my thread. I would be hammering the dealership. I probably would make mention of Porsche's failure to step in and resolve, but my beef would be with the installer. This may be a pointless debate, as the OP is saying the film itself is defective.

I'd like to educate myself on the defect(s). Did I miss a post? Given the butcher job done by the installer, it seems at least plausible that he also didn't recognize the material he was installing was defective. But then again it seems at least plausible that he damaged the material himself during the botched install, and it wasn't defective originally. It probably makes no difference which is true to GiusuppeM and his particular situation, but I would like to know which is correct.

And to the members tossing backhanded insults at each other: Please consider restraint. Lobbing insults on the internet is a common behavior, and I suspect we are all more interested in that which is uncommon.
I see how other analogies may not fit this situation, Xpel COO's post made it a little confusing, however it's Xpel that refers to its authorized installers as "Partners". The butcher job was performed by the installer that works on Xpel account manager's cars (he wrapped his 3 or 4 cars) and he's still being recommended as the top installer in the area.

When I told Xpel sales manager that I didn't want to take my car to the same installer to have the film removed (you can imagine why) he instructed me to go to the other local authorized installer (no need to name it). So I stopped by and found out that the same guy works there also. I emailed Xpel and asked him if he knew and he said yes.

I've been asking for their insurance agent info unsuccessfully for 3 weeks, and to answer your question about the material, they didn't provide anything in writing and Xpel won't say, they did get it shipped back thought.

The moral of the story is that If you call Xpel today and gave them my zip code they'll send you there as a highly recommended shop and tell you their local rep takes his cars there, like nothing ever happened.

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I was about to file a dispute but got a refund 2 days ago, but no news on the other issues.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

So OP, what are you next steps? Are you planning to get your car paint protected by trying another product, or you going au naturale? I will say the clear bra does a great jot of protecting the paint.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:14 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,425 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
I was about to file a dispute but got a refund 2 days ago, but no news on the other issues.
Glad you got the refund. Please keep us posted on remaining issues. Also interested to know what you decide on whether to have paint protection applied elsewhere, or skip it.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:48 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
So OP, what are you next steps? Are you planning to get your car paint protected by trying another product, or you going au naturale? I will say the clear bra does a great jot of protecting the paint.
Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Glad you got the refund. Please keep us posted on remaining issues. Also interested to know what you decide on whether to have paint protection applied elsewhere, or skip it.
Thanks guys, to be completely honest if I knew this was a possible risk I would have never done it...
I've seen really good installation jobs on 4 cars this past month and I've been thinking about it but haven't made up my mind. It's definitely not going to be Xpel...
I saw Suntek on a black GT4 and UV RS and it looked way better than Xpel, and saw another one called Clear Guard Nano on a white R8 and red Model X, the R8 had part of the film removed because of an accident and my impression is that Clear Guard was kind of milky compared to the original paint.

But as a word of advice, I wouldn't pick a company over another because of the 7 years vs 10 years warranty, even if it was 5 vs 10, it all comes down to the way the manufacturer handles the claim.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 PM
tahiles
Track Day

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Yep. Same with BBB.
Some BBB's....

They are franchises and some will make your bad news go away for a fee. Very shady.

My local BBB doesn't do anything that could be construed as unethical....

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.