Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My trouble free streak of 911 ownership is over. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:26 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts
Default My trouble free streak of 911 ownership is over. Any ideas?

Car is a 2016 GTS, 2500 miles on the clock. Normal, not hard city/country road driving, engine warm perfect day and I got these 3 error messages. Car runs fine otherwise. Ready to call P roadside assistance but figured my friends on RL are probably a better source of info. I stopped, locked the car to allow a reset, let it cool a bit than drove again, about a mile, ok and then same warnings re-appeared so I think probably not just a computer fart. One of the things that always amazed me with my previous 05 997 C2S-never a glitch. Never a warning requiring a trip to my dealer, who is about 80 miles away.
Jim
Attached Images    
Old 06-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

you know what it looks like? what happens when you flash the ECU... PASM, engine fan and parking brake fault, not related to each other except... I am *GUESSING* you have some form of ECU/electrical fault ...
Old 06-18-2016, 06:44 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry. Car has been fine since I picked it up 10/15. I have never done a 'flash' to the ECU. Dry CA weather, no moisture. Car is on a battery tender most of the week. Got through to roadside assistance after a short delay. Agent was nice and recommended flatbed to dealer tomorrow even though says driving permitted.
Jim
Old 06-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Thanks Larry. Car has been fine since I picked it up 10/15. I have never done a 'flash' to the ECU. Dry CA weather, no moisture. Car is on a battery tender most of the week. Got through to roadside assistance after a short delay. Agent was nice and recommended flatbed to dealer tomorrow even though says driving permitted.
Jim
yeah I wasn't suggesting that you had flashed the ECU, what I was suggesting was that since you got an engine fault, pasm fault, and brake fault, that it is a central (control) component at fault since its the ECU which is effectively the "only" common component here ... you see a similar set of messages displayed
during an ECU re-flash ... again the common component under effect.

let us know when they diagnose ...

do you have a durametric or other OBD-II reader tool (you can get them for your smartphone with a bluetooth dongle) that will read the error codes?
Old 06-18-2016, 09:56 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Thanks again Larry. No I don't have a durametric. Can you get messages that are more specific than these as to what the problem is? Its too bad Porsche can't 'log in' remotely to diagnose the way they can for example to unlock a door.
Jim
Old 06-18-2016, 10:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks again Larry. No I don't have a durametric. Can you get messages that are more specific than these as to what the problem is? Its too bad Porsche can't 'log in' remotely to diagnose the way they can for example to unlock a door.
Jim
The obd-ii codes probably aren't too much more descriptive ... but it's worth investing n a Bluetooth obd-ii dongle and an app for your phone
Old 06-18-2016, 10:59 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Jim
have u owned this car since new? if not it is possible prior owner flashed it

anyways it shd be covered under warranty

dealers can also reflash a car from ground zero if requested, to make sure it is not a software fault

there are famous well documented stories of 991 models with e-glitches, unfortunately...
Old 06-19-2016, 12:50 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
have u owned this car since new? if not it is possible prior owner flashed it

anyways it shd be covered under warranty

dealers can also reflash a car from ground zero if requested, to make sure it is not a software fault

there are famous well documented stories of 991 models with e-glitches, unfortunately...
Hi Golfnut. Yes. I am the original owner. I debated waiting until Mon to speak with the service advisor, but I am sure they would want to see the car and its knid of a pain to coordinate the shipping while I am working during the week.
Jim
Old 06-19-2016, 05:10 AM
telerice
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm willing to bet it's battery issue. Probably unstable voltage supplied to those components throwing faults.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:50 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

Car is a 2016 GTS, 2500 miles on the clock. Normal, not hard city/country road driving, engine warm perfect day and I got these 3 error messages. Car runs fine otherwise. Ready to call P roadside assistance but figured my friends on RL are probably a better source of info. I stopped, locked the car to allow a reset, let it cool a bit than drove again, about a mile, ok and then same warnings re-appeared so I think probably not just a computer fart. One of the things that always amazed me with my previous 05 997 C2S-never a glitch. Never a warning requiring a trip to my dealer, who is about 80 miles away.
Jim
I had 2 of your 3 warning come up when i had my rear rotors replace. but not the Control unit (ECU warning). otherwise drive it to the dealer, if the warranty covers the flatbed pickup, go for it.
My problem was the gap for emergency brake pads was out of alignment.
Good luck
Old 06-19-2016, 01:22 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I agree Porsche OEM batteries do not seem to be of the highest quality. I kind of hope they don't just reflash/reset it and send it back b/c I will be paranoid about it happening again. There really is no reason it should have happened on a new car and nothing I have done to the car as far as mods, wheels off etc. Interestingly with the warning lights, the parking brake function is fine but the PSM button does not illuminate when pushed. I guess I better take some pictures of the front bumper before they put it on the flatbed
Jim
Old 06-19-2016, 01:33 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you bait your garage? Any chance of rodents chewing harnesses?
Old 06-19-2016, 03:02 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My money is on battery as the root cause. Unstable voltage might have killed some computer or other, though.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by telerice
I'm willing to bet it's battery issue. Probably unstable voltage supplied to those components throwing faults.
Possible; this happened to me w/ an E92 M3. Odd, seemingly unrelated codes.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I agree Porsche OEM batteries do not seem to be of the highest quality. I kind of hope they don't just reflash/reset it and send it back b/c I will be paranoid about it happening again. There really is no reason it should have happened on a new car and nothing I have done to the car as far as mods, wheels off etc. Interestingly with the warning lights, the parking brake function is fine but the PSM button does not illuminate when pushed. I guess I better take some pictures of the front bumper before they put it on the flatbed
Jim
H'mmm PSM/ABS fault is probably a "serious" fault, so the ECU will disable it
until reset at the dealer.

Let us know what the outcome is, I tend to agree its electrical, either voltage fluctuation or ECU issue...

Quick Reply: My trouble free streak of 911 ownership is over. Any ideas?