Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My trouble free streak of 911 ownership is over. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 375 Likes on 225 Posts

All the faults are related to the same issue. If I were to be doing the diagnostic on this one,I'd concentrate on the ABS/PSM fault. Fix that and most likely everything else will be fixed with it.
Sounds to me like your dealership is on the right track. If a wheel speed sensor is bad,or the bearing has play,it can throw off the calibration of the sensor. The DME will automatically disable ABS/PASM and the parking brake follows along it seems. The engine control fault is most likely triggered to alert that there are input faults in the DME triggered through the CAN bus system by other modules...like the ABS/PASM control module. I don't have a wiring diagram,but I can almost bet that the parking brake is controlled by the same module.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:25 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
All the faults are related to the same issue. If I were to be doing the diagnostic on this one,I'd concentrate on the ABS/PSM fault. Fix that and most likely everything else will be fixed with it.
Sounds to me like your dealership is on the right track. If a wheel speed sensor is bad,or the bearing has play,it can throw off the calibration of the sensor. The DME will automatically disable ABS/PASM and the parking brake follows along it seems. The engine control fault is most likely triggered to alert that there are input faults in the DME triggered through the CAN bus system by other modules...like the ABS/PASM control module. I don't have a wiring diagram,but I can almost bet that the parking brake is controlled by the same module.
Maybe the most plausible explanation I have heard so far. I asked him if they could examine the bearing assembly to see if it was defective but he said something about a series of magnets and acted like all they could do was bolt in a new one and see if that works. I am always interested in the mechanicals and wish I could talk to the mechanic, er I guess they are all technicians now, and not always have to relay messages through the service advisor. I got the distinct feeling they don't do this procedure everyday on these cars. Thanks everyone for the continued input.
Jim
Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Maybe the most plausible explanation I have heard so far. I asked him if they could examine the bearing assembly to see if it was defective but he said something about a series of magnets and acted like all they could do was bolt in a new one and see if that works. I am always interested in the mechanicals and wish I could talk to the mechanic, er I guess they are all technicians now, and not always have to relay messages through the service advisor. I got the distinct feeling, they don't do this procedure everyday on these cars. Thanks everyone for the continues input. Jim
You can always request to speak with the technician. It's your right. There's no dealership policy against it. Most technicians would be actually glad to speak and get to know the customer.
The speed sensor is magnetic. It reads off a toe ring inside the bearing hub. Of course it can be tested. You take the car for a test drive and pull the data PID for the speed sensor inside the ABS module. You pull the graph for all 4 sensors and monitor which one drops out. But in reality,just so that everyone knows how things really work inside the dealership : WARRANTY WORK DOES NOT pay well. Technicians are not interested in doing a proper diagnostic,so they swap parts until they find the problem. It's sad but true. As long as PCNA or PAG don't have a problem paying for unnecessary parts while the car is under warranty,myself as a customer don't have a problem either,besides the hassle of bringing the car in 3-4 times. BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PARTS SWAPPING AFTER WARRANTY,WHEN THE TECHNICIANS PRACTICE CONTINUES ON MY DIME,INSTEAD OF PROPER DIAGNOSTIC.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

+1
Old 06-21-2016, 03:05 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

You can always request to speak with the technician. It's your right. There's no dealership policy against it. Most technicians would be actually glad to speak and get to know the customer.
The speed sensor is magnetic. It reads off a toe ring inside the bearing hub. Of course it can be tested. You take the car for a test drive and pull the data PID for the speed sensor inside the ABS module. You pull the graph for all 4 sensors and monitor which one drops out. But in reality,just so that everyone knows how things really work inside the dealership : WARRANTY WORK DOES NOT pay well. Technicians are not interested in doing a proper diagnostic,so they swap parts until they find the problem. It's sad but true. As long as PCNA or PAG don't have a problem paying for unnecessary parts while the car is under warranty,myself as a customer don't have a problem either,besides the hassle of bringing the car in 3-4 times. BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PARTS SWAPPING AFTER WARRANTY,WHEN THE TECHNICIANS PRACTICE CONTINUES ON MY DIME,INSTEAD OF PROPER DIAGNOSTIC.
You would think Porsche should be concerned about accurate diagnoses not just because of parts cost but customer satisfaction, especially for folks like me who have to take a day off of work and spend 4 hrs driving to and from the dealer. I think they are so overwhelmed doing oil changes for lovely women in their Cayennes and Macans and keeping the cappuccino machine refilled!
J
Old 06-21-2016, 03:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

You would think Porsche should be concerned about accurate diagnoses not just because of parts cost but customer satisfaction, especially for folks like me who have to take a day off of work and spend 4 hrs driving to and from the dealer. I think they are so overwhelmed doing oil changes for lovely women in their Cayennes and Macans and keeping the cappuccino machine refilled! J
Dealership technicians work on a system called FLAT RATE. Which means,every job has a book time. Experienced technicians make good money using the flat rate system. Others do not.
Let's say the diagnostic only(not the actual repair) pays 2 hours book time. The technician takes a fat guess and straight changes the hub assembly,which comes with the sensor and everything BTW...and fixes the problem. He had just fixed the car in 40 min,got payed for 2 hours of diagnostic and used the remaining 1 hr and 20 min to do an oil change and a brake job. Done.
On the other hand,just like I said warranty work does not pay the same,so technicians hate it because they don't make money.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:14 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Dealership technicians work on a system called FLAT RATE. Which means,every job has a book time. Experienced technicians make good money using the flat rate system. Others do not.
Let's say the diagnostic only(not the actual repair) pays 2 hours book time. The technician takes a fat guess and straight changes the hub assembly,which comes with the sensor and everything BTW...and fixes the problem. He had just fixed the car in 40 min,got payed for 2 hours of diagnostic and used the remaining 1 hr and 20 min to do an oil change and a brake job. Done.
On the other hand,just like I said warranty work does not pay the same,so technicians hate it because they don't make money.
Interesting how that works. I wondered how they charge Porsche b/c it seemed like they spent way over 2 hrs trying to figure it out.
J
Old 06-21-2016, 09:34 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Default Update 2

After 2 full days and not hearing anything from them (I have to call to get an update) got word that the bearing has arrived and will be installed tomorrow. I guess I have moved up the food chain a little and get to talk with the shop foreman directly tomorrow afternoon. Fortunately I have a reliable 2nd car to drive till it is sorted.
J
Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

After 2 full days and not hearing anything from them (I have to call to get an update) got word that the bearing has arrived and will be installed tomorrow. I guess I have moved up the food chain a little and get to talk with the shop foreman directly tomorrow afternoon. Fortunately I have a reliable 2nd car to drive till it is sorted.
J
lets hope that cures it!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:07 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Default Update 3

For anyone still interested in this thread, here is the latest. I tagged the above helpful comment b/c this is exactly what the technicians are doing although the shop foreman says they are now doing exactly what Porsche is telling them to do next. They swapped out the wheel bearing assembly and same error code came up. Next step is to replace the wheel sub-harness and if that doesn't work they will replace the PSM computer which is one of 30 computers, he says, which control our cars. I was worried about my car sitting around all week after being fixed but now it looks like I may not even have by Fri (5 working days)
Jim

Last edited by 96redLT4; 06-22-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

For anyone still interested in this thread, here is the latest. I tagged the above helpful comment b/c this is exactly what the technicians are doing although the shop foreman says they are now doing exactly what Porsche is telling them to do next. They swapped out the wheel bearing assembly and same error code came up. Next step is to replace the wheel sub-harness and if that doesn't work they will replace the PSM computer which is one of 30 computers, he says, which control our cars. I was worried about my car sitting around all week after being fixed but now it looks like I may not even have be Fri (5 working days) Jim
Sorry to hear...

They will eventually swap out the right part and fix the problem. I just feel bad for you,because you'll be out of a car for so long when a proper diagnostic would've fixed your car in a day or two.

Good luck and let us know which part actually fixed it!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:27 PM
jumpshowhigh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd think the dumb-f*cks at Porsche could use the on-board monitor to display the codes in order to give the driver a general sense of the problem.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:55 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

The shop foreman was nice and I think really trying to be helpful, but he acted like his hands were tied and he was just doing what Porsche told him to do. I asked his opinion on a couple of other things that are oft debated here. He says he would not change oil more frequently than Porsche recommends including the first change. Says Porsche bench runs all engines and circulates fluid through them to wash out any manufacturing debris. I think I will still opt to change mine in the next few thousand miles however. The other thing I asked was if he has seen any issues with carbon buildup on the intakes of 9A1 engines and he said no.
Jim
Old 06-23-2016, 11:05 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I assume there is no chance that they simply tried a new battery?
Old 06-23-2016, 12:59 PM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is not showing faulty, they will not do that. I went through the same discussion with that even though it was fairly obvious to me.

Quick Reply: My trouble free streak of 911 ownership is over. Any ideas?