Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My trouble free streak of 911 ownership is over. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have to say. BMW service is probably the best in the industry. They also serve Starbucks Coffee in the waiting area. My local Ferrari dealer has Keurig. Pitty.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
BMW's included (not free) maintenance is OK. The major drawback is that except for M vehicles they put the oil change interval at 10,000 miles - even the first one (WTF?). I pay for extra ones myself. Overall this is nice to have from a predictability standpoint, too. You lease price is your lease price. You take care of tires and wheels but everything else is covered by warranty, or included in maintenance or your insurance.

Re: the 991 in this thread:

You shook my confidence in the battery default theory when going on about the wheel sensors. I admit that. It even made sense-ish that a general Check Engine light came on.

But that has been tried and exchanged and you are back to instable electric power messing up computer operations.

Say about BMW what you want but they are pretty quick to blame batteries and put a new one. See the N63 not-a-recall recall. Also, then now put 2 batteries into the 7-series. And they didn't do that because people couldn't start the car because of empty batteries. They did that because the cars went into hard to diagnose random code throwing when feeding the low power computers off the same battery as the high-power stressors.
The issue with BMW and batteries is due to turbos being placed in the bank of the V8 requiring extra cooling after the car is shut off. This combined with new battery charging mechanism, only happening while coasting, has resulted in batteries running out and causing all kinds of issues in the electronically overwhelmed cars of today.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:18 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Rezus
The issue with BMW and batteries is due to turbos being placed in the bank of the V8 requiring extra cooling after the car is shut off. This combined with new battery charging mechanism, only happening while coasting, has resulted in batteries running out and causing all kinds of issues in the electronically overwhelmed cars of today.
Don't know if you heard but the 911 is also FI now.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Rezus
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Noooo, seriously???

Clearly OP's car is not FI and flat 6 turbos have not had the same issue as far as I know. Turbos being in the middle of the V are a great idea for reducing lag and improve responsiveness but they tend to run hotter for clear reasons requiring longer active cooling after engine is shut off.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:03 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Noooo, seriously???

Clearly OP's car is not FI and flat 6 turbos have not had the same issue as far as I know. Turbos being in the middle of the V are a great idea for reducing lag and improve responsiveness but they tend to run hotter for clear reasons requiring longer active cooling after engine is shut off.
Not disagreeing with you. Just a note as to the future of porsche.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Rezus
Racer

Not disagreeing with you. Just a note as to the future of porsche.
I hear you, I picked up my 16 GTS after the announcment
Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I hear you, I picked up my 16 GTS after the announcment
Me too!
Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Woah no way! Do they sound as good?
Old 06-24-2016, 01:58 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Update 4

I guess when they swapped the wheel sub-harness that did the trick. He says car is ready for pick up tomorrow. I asked if he was surprised this was the problem and he said yes. It sounds like the repair was directed by Porsche which I guess is good. I had readied myself to be really pissed that I would not get the car till next week but we lucked out with the second try and I guess what has happened is reasonable so far. I still have to make it home, so I'll let you guys know if it stays together.
Jim
Old 06-24-2016, 11:11 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Great news. Hope it is a permanent fix.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:54 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Update 5- My car is fixed....Maybe

Or maybe not. Now when I engage the parking brake at the end of a drive, exit the vehicle and lock the door with the remote I hear a small noise that sounds like the brake engaging or disengaging a little followed by the brake indicator light and light on the ebrake button flashing repeatedly before going off. It has never done this before. Normally when the parking brake is engaged, the dash and button light are on solid red, not flashing. Anyone know the meaning of this? I called the shop foreman back over and we played around with it a couple of times, scratched our heads and his assessment....maybe we're confusing the car. Huh?? He says he's sure its ok and that if there was a major parking brake issue the big warning fault would come on as it did on page one of this thread. I guess we will see what happens.
Jim

Quick Reply: My trouble free streak of 911 ownership is over. Any ideas?