Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport is Freaky

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 04:22 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 307 Posts

Thanks Tom. It's been a pleasure discussing this stuff with you. I don't mean to be an armchair quarterback expressing premature opinion, which i'm sure I am.
I look forward to driving more and thank you for mentioning the other available files. It's very cool stuff. The roads are pretty bad by me so I think the normal mode could be a good thing.
I do have the Porsche space saver spare in the frunk, which is pretty darn heavy. It makes the ride feel a little better with the stock suspension for some reason but might not be ideal for the DSC driven suspension. Regardless It's a really cool product you're offering. Thanks again. -Chris
The following users liked this post:
Tom@TPC Racing (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 05:14 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Carrera T. Narrow body, 305 rear p zero tire. Pressures are a bit high, got up to 32 front and 36 rear while driving only a little. All suspension is stock.

Edit, after driving a little more I like it more. There is benefit to the two ends of the spectrum being more fused, or having both ends of the spectrum happening in one mode. On top of the other dynamic improvements. Again, initial thoughts are with very little driving time.
I also used to run these low pressures at first, until I got to a Porsche Experience training (my third one now) where the tech explained that the chassis is designed to operate with super hard tires so it can control all the rest.

Have a try at some street driving with cold pressures set to F35 R45 and see how the car feels after a few days.

If you drive hard, remember, this car is build for late braking (more than an M3) that's when you really feel like you can quickly pivot it at the apex and punch out.

After getting acquainted with your new chassis, let me know you find it to understeer too much, just right for your taste and or you always loose the rear and can help you with further adjustments.

Obviously, these pressures would not work for the track because you'd build and maintain much more internal heat so I suggest we keep track talk out of this conversation.

Don't knock it til you tried it.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Wow, 35/45 cold seems really high, but I will give some higher pressures a go. Did some more driving this morning with the weight (spare) out of the frunk which I think helps. Also I ran in sport suspension the whole time which seems like the only mode you need with the DSC. After only two sessions of driving I'd say the car feels closer to a GT suspension, in that GT balance of aggressive fused with compliance. I've often thought the GT cars ride smoother and soak up bump better than their Carrera siblings. I still need to get used to the slightly more progressive feel of the suspension loading up, but I think I will. Really cool stuff to be able to feel such changes while not changing mechanical suspension components.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.
ZerOG (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:06 AM
ZerOG
Racer

Wow, 35/45 cold seems really high, but I will give some higher pressures a go. Did some more driving this morning with the weight (spare) out of the frunk which I think helps. Also I ran in sport suspension the whole time which seems like the only mode you need with the DSC. After only two sessions of driving I'd say the car feels closer to a GT suspension, in that GT balance of aggressive fused with compliance. I've often thought the GT cars ride smoother and soak up bump better than their Carrera siblings. I still need to get used to the slightly more progressive feel of the suspension loading up, but I think I will. Really cool stuff to be able to feel such changes while not changing mechanical suspension components.
Yep, I really didn’t want to try that either but when I was handed a car setup that way, I realized that I had to try it on mine. And it worked. i also suddenly hated my P-Zeros a little less. I still changed them for PS4S though.

My next upgrade is the KW HAS coilovers. Since the ratio between the front and rear spring rates are going to be completely different (ratio gap makes a bigger difference than spring rate itself) so I will have to start from scratch to RE-balance the car.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:53 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts

The question is - Would you buy it again? Is it worth the money?
Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

If it was hard to access in the vehicle, or overwrote information as an ECU tune does, it might be a tougher call. Factoring the location of the controller on the 991, how seamless the product inserts, and the parameters and capability it unlocks or better exploits, it's certainly a worthy modification to explore. Assuming one feels suspension limitations and wants to explore changes. I've only driven the car twice since installing it, but I think it's already impressive and would likely buy it again. Tom is also very helpful. I had a question after my first drive with the product, Tom picked up on the first ring and answered the question. Good operation, good support.
jimmymoO (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 10:41 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

If it was hard to access in the vehicle, or overwrote information as an ECU tune does, it might be a tougher call. Factoring the location of the controller on the 991, how seamless the product inserts, and the parameters and capability it unlocks or better exploits, it's certainly a worthy modification to explore. Assuming one feels suspension limitations and wants to explore changes. I've only driven the car twice since installing it, but I think it's already impressive and would likely buy it again. Tom is also very helpful. I had a question after my first drive with the product, Tom picked up on the first ring and answered the question. Good operation, good support.
Nice. This just moved up to the list of To-Get over Soul Sports Cat once tax season is over.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:57 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,881 Likes on 931 Posts

For me, after having done a few mods over the winter, Numeric Short Shift Kit>Soul hi flow cats>Cobb>Kline headers>DSC

DSC last place of the mods
Old 03-30-2020, 12:32 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
For me, after having done a few mods over the winter, Numeric Short Shift Kit>Soul hi flow cats>Cobb>Kline headers>DSC

DSC last place of the mods
Interesting. The T luckily have a short shifter already. I was debating between Soul Sports cat vs DSC but I think stock PSE is pretty decent already. Would love the car the handle a bit tigher in the backroad.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 965 Likes on 534 Posts

Did some more driving this morning with the weight (spare) out of the frunk which I think helps. Also I ran in sport suspension the whole time which seems like the only mode you need with the DSC. After only two sessions of driving I'd say the car feels closer to a GT suspension, in that GT balance of aggressive fused with compliance. I've often thought the GT cars ride smoother and soak up bump better than their Carrera siblings. I still need to get used to the slightly more progressive feel of the suspension loading up, but I think I will. Really cool stuff to be able to feel such changes while not changing mechanical suspension components.
Awesome! I imagine the weight of the spare tire is like 40 lb. Which is close to the weight of another half tank of gas at the nose of the car.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 03-30-2020, 11:14 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

How does this react to progressive springs?
Old 03-30-2020, 11:48 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by garfunkle
How does this react to progressive springs?
Short answer is DSC Sport V3 controller pairs very well with progressive springs. Most OEM springs are progressive.

The longer answer is DSC Sport V3 controller varies the damping commands to each damper to the driver's input to optimize vehicle weight transfer regardless of the type of spring on the car(progressive-rate coil springs, linear-rate coil springs, and even leaf springs!), as long as the spring rate is within the operating window of the dampers, which all OEM springs are.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:30 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Hi Ceepe,
Thanks for your initial feedback. Yeah, it takes a little bit of driving to get a feel of the active suspension because we have memory of the stock suspension feel and we're expecting the static suspension resistance from what we felt before. The DSC active suspension algorithm is start soft and then stiffen up to the G-force. The harder you drive the stiffer the suspension commands get in real time. If you find yourself liking the DSC Sport mode and think the DSC Normal mode starts out too soft for your personal preference I can help you custom tune Normal mode. Or you can try the different calibration files from the DSC website. The two I suggest trying is the GT3 "Tour" and GT3/RS. Definitely drive more to find out what you prefer. Cheers!
Tom does this mean it's possible to map GT3 "Tour" to DSC Normal, and GT3/RS to DSC Sport?
Old 03-30-2020, 09:14 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Originally Posted by marinb
Tom does this mean it's possible to map GT3 "Tour" to DSC Normal, and GT3/RS to DSC Sport?
If you’re looking for real GT3 handling, I have the full OEM coil-overs from a GT3RS or a GT2RS and they’ll also work with the DSC but the spring rates are for serious track use.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by marinb
That is exactly what the DSC GT3 "Tour" calibration file already is! Softer in Normal mode, track optimized in Sport mode! I made this file because that's what I'd want if I own a 991.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport is Freaky