DSC Sport is Freaky

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Good point!
when you compare the DSC price to other suspension components such as coilovers (even the relatively cheap Damptronics), springs, H.A.S, or swaybar
kits $12xx is not ridiculous for the transformative capabilities of the device.

Seriously, an aftermarket swaybar kit incl droplinks will set you back about
$14xx-$17xx or more, coilovers well even he B16's start at around $28xx ...

get your wallets out, DSC is great functionality for the $'s ... much better value than pretty much any suspension mod I can think of off the top of my head
Old 09-14-2016, 04:27 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you hit the nail on the head wrt PDCC vs non, effectively the sways on a PDCC car should be "decoupled" when driving in a straight line, so any vertical movement of the suspension that would normally be 'opposed' by the swaybar, thus increasing the effective spring rate, is not applicable ... so a PDCC car will feel "softer" than a traditional (non PDCC) car over bumpy roads...
So the key is to skip PDCC? I'm going back to test drive again and will report on findings. I have test driven 4 different 991.2s: C2, C2S, C4 and C4S. None of the cars that I've driven had PDCC and only one didn't have sport suspension. Felt the suspension was brilliant in all of them.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
So the key is to skip PDCC? I'm going back to test drive again and will report on findings. I have test driven 4 different 991.2s: C2, C2S, C4 and C4S. None of the cars that I've driven had PDCC and only one didn't have sport suspension. Felt the suspension was brilliant in all of them.
Nope, I am saying that with a PDCC car, when the swaybar are decoupled (usually when there is no lateral load on the car) the swaybars (unlike in a
non PDCC car) will not contribute to the effective spring rate thus the ride
should be softer than a non-PDCC car all other things being equal.

This in fact is the whole/sole purpose of PDCC to provide the advantage of
swaybars/ARB (flatten body roll in cornering) while also avoiding the disadvantage of such in striaght line driving... that is additional spring rate (stiffer)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:38 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, I am saying that with a PDCC car, when the swaybar are decoupled (usually when there is no lateral load on the car) the swaybars (unlike in a
non PDCC car) will not contribute to the effective spring rate thus the ride
should be softer than a non-PDCC car all other things being equal.

This in fact is the whole/sole purpose of PDCC to provide the advantage of
swaybars/ARB (flatten body roll in cornering) while also avoiding the disadvantage of such in striaght line driving... that is additional spring rate (stiffer)
I can tell you wholeheartedly that DSC + PDCC is great. There doesn't feel to be that much difference between normal and sport modes but both are outstanding. Also, I just had my front wheels set to 1.5 degrees negative camber. Seems to have helped turn-in a bit and I can feel the whole car in a nice way mid-corner.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I can tell you wholeheartedly that DSC + PDCC is great. There doesn't feel to be that much difference between normal and sport modes but both are outstanding. Also, I just had my front wheels set to 1.5 degrees negative camber. Seems to have helped turn-in a bit and I can feel the whole car in a nice way mid-corner.
worth noting though that PDCC and PASM (and thus DSC) are separate suspension functions and are individually controlled by distinct controllers.

DSC in fact subsumes some of the function of PDCC in as much as the DSC deferentially stiffens the outside shocks in a corner, similar to the effect of
PDCC coupling the swaybars and transferring the outside compression to the
inside effectively reducing lateral roll.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:01 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

given that a single (new) swaybar is about $3xx (never mind droplinks) I think the price of the DSC is pretty reasonable given a subjective effect/$ ...
The sway likely cost very little less to manufacture yet is 3x less to buy.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:02 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Geiss
you actually get nauseous from driving over bumpy roads?
Yes, particularly when the car is jostling, jumping and skipping everywhere.

happy to share my map which is about 10% "stiffer" ...
Thanks Larry! PM Sent.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well I have a .1 SPASM Carrera with PDCC and I don't find it overly harsh at all on even really bad roads. I'm amazed at how comfortable and composed it is, while still offering incredible cornering performance. Perhaps the softer sway bars in the PDCC equipped car is the key, relative to a SPASM car.
My characterization is it's not harsh but it doesn't feel composed to me at all stock. With DSC it's much improved and my thinking is with a little suspension tuning, it will be perfect. Now the problem is going to be convincing myself to NOT get the tractive DDA R/T setup.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:08 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
OK, had to dig this up and add my enthusiastic support for the DSC Sport PASM module.

Finally installed mine in my Sport Pasm Sport Chrono 991-S - many of you know I've not been a 100% fan of sports Pasm not because of ride height (which I love) or scraping (which can happen even when you're careful in hilly areas like San Francisco) but because the ride on sh***y streets that our mayor refuses to repair despite economic boot time and our tax bonanza (don't get me started on impeaching d***head Mayor Lee!!) is terrible. The car is jiggly, crashes over potholes (with 20" CS wheels) and in general can cast a shadow on one's love for the 911 with its roughness (and I like a stiff ride in general)

Well, DSC all but fixes the harshness and ride issues with Sports PASM in cities or areas with un-maintained beat up roads!! Mixed driving around some of my normal roads - it's the same experience but 15-20% better in harshness - like you put on a great pair of hiking socks - not cushy but mutes the negative aspects of road feel.

I haven't had too much experience at/near the limit as my 911 is a weekend/fun run car, so I don't have a before/after to comment on the DSC in hard cornering or track work - but a little play on some twisties near me reveal the car stays planted and balanced. I believe what I've read elesewhere since the module is intended to improve handling at speed.

Hearty thank you to the DSC Sport team - makes you wonder why Porsche left so much in PASM for the aftermarket to tune/fix but hey, I am a very happy customer so I am glad they did!
Chris- You have precisely explained here how I feel about the suspension on my 2016 GTS (SPASM+PDCC). It's not that it's too firm but how it handles bumps in the road both in a straight line and around corners.

I was ready to swap the car for a non-SPASM until I was turned onto potential solution that is DSC. Plan on buying the Sport V2 Controller today and will report back my findings. If this works (and they get my sunroof to stop wiggling around) I will keep this car for a long time.

It should be noted that Porsche seems to have worked out suspension/chassis on 991.2 in such a way that it handles rough roads with ease, same firmness but with none of the issues described above, at least that's been my experience after a few test drives.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:47 AM
b1st
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Chris- You have precisely explained here how I feel about the suspension on my 2016 GTS (SPASM+PDCC). It's not that it's too firm but how it handles bumps in the road both in a straight line and around corners.

I was ready to swap the car for a non-SPASM until I was turned onto potential solution that is DSC. Plan on buying the Sport V2 Controller today and will report back my findings. If this works (and they get my sunroof to stop wiggling around) I will keep this car for a long time.

It should be noted that Porsche seems to have worked out suspension/chassis on 991.2 in such a way that it handles rough roads with ease, same firmness but with none of the issues described above, at least that's been my experience after a few test drives.
Bringing back from the dead... Did you ever install DSC and how much did it improve the ride quality on the 2016 GTS SPASM + PDCC?
Old 03-04-2020, 05:59 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

On 19 C4GTS without PDCC, I find the standard spasm to be very compliant on less than ideal roads. I am always pleasantly surprised when going over some road surfaces that would have jostled me if I was driving in another car.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Beezztie
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Agreed, have the same setup (besides the 1.5 degrees neg. camber) and love it.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by b1st
Bringing back from the dead... Did you ever install DSC and how much did it improve the ride quality on the 2016 GTS SPASM + PDCC?
It makes a noticeable difference and worth the $$ according to all our past customers.

Let us know if you would like pricing on one!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 03-05-2020, 12:01 AM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
It makes a noticeable difference and worth the $$ according to all our past customers.

Let us know if you would like pricing on one!

-Josh
I’m starting to become interested in a DSC. I know it’s a very complex controller and it’s a bit hard to imagine it could be better than what Porsche did but I’m listening.

i have a 991.2 S and, while it’s a fantastic car, I’m always looking for that little extra bit of handling and compliance on bad roads.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:01 AM
ugotgrossed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Formerly Known As: 2008whitegt3

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Would DSC work on 2016 GT3Rs?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:24 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ZerOG
I’m starting to become interested in a DSC. I know it’s a very complex controller and it’s a bit hard to imagine it could be better than what Porsche did but I’m listening.

Its not as complex as people make it seem. For the regular user, just swap suspension modules and done, boom, results right away. For the track heads and technical guys they start to play with settings and thats when it gets complicated..

i have a 991.2 S and, while it’s a fantastic car, I’m always looking for that little extra bit of handling and compliance on bad roads.
Originally Posted by 2008whitegt3
Would DSC work on 2016 GT3Rs?
Yes it would!

-Josh

Quick Reply: DSC Sport is Freaky