Sponsored by:

DSC Sport is Freaky

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 10:52 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

Quick Question

Would this device work with aftermarket PASM shocks if and when the OEM units start to fail?
Old 03-07-2020, 02:06 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Quick Question

Would this device work with aftermarket PASM shocks if and when the OEM units start to fail?
Do you mean like Bilstein shocks that utilize PASM. (Something non-OEM but uses PASM?)

Yes it should, might just need different type of calibrations.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 08:53 PM
PDNA
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will DSC fix rubbing tires on a lowered 991.1 C2S?

It rubs in the back. HRE FF04 are on Michelin Sport 4S 305s. Lowered on TechArts. Will DSC help reduce/eliminate rubbing?

Last edited by PDNA; 03-07-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:18 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by PDNA
It rubs in the back. HRE FF04 are on Michelin Sport 4S 305s. Lowered on TechArts. Will DSC help reduce/eliminate rubbing?

Possibly, for example in my vehicle with active suspension in comfort mode I rub on bumps on the road & hard turns in the rear right. When I put it in sport it does not rub because the suspension stiffens making it not rub. So I believe the DSC would help it as well with PASM.

-Josh
Old 03-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 965 Likes on 534 Posts

My opinion is no for eliminating rubbing, because according to the first image the rear wheel/tire is too wide for the quarter panel. The only way to possible stop rubbing with this wheel/tire combo is to basically lock the suspension, which isn't right in my opinion
In order for any suspension to work well it must have sufficient travel(stroke). Looks like this wheel/tire combo can limit the suspension's travel during moments of contact.
I wish can give you a simple favorable answer but I have to tell it like it is.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 03-09-2020, 11:59 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

HRE FF04 rears stick out too far, -2.0 camber makes them look better and I have had no rubbing
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1159...eck-pic-2.html
Old 03-10-2020, 02:13 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 307 Posts

Just ordered a DSC sport controller. You guys sold me. Excited to try the Carrera T map, which I just learned involved feedback from a Porsche driver who has a Carrera T as his personal car.
I have a feeling it's going to be just what the doctor ordered for this factory suspension.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:24 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Just ordered a DSC sport controller. You guys sold me. Excited to try the Carrera T map, which I just learned involved feedback from a Porsche driver who has a Carrera T as his personal car.
I have a feeling it's going to be just what the doctor ordered for this factory suspension.
Installed last week on my T. Really like it. Makes non sport more comfortable on the street. Sport is more composed when hitting the back roads.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:42 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wbrownie
Installed last week on my T. Really like it. Makes non sport more comfortable on the street. Sport is more composed when hitting the back roads.
Nice! Looks like I'll have to wait for mine. You guys bought em all up. Inventory showed 5 units while I was talking to Tom on the phone, but in fact they called back to tell me they're sold out. I'll get one next month.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-10-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:29 AM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

For those of you who have installed the dsc unit on a 991.2 car with spasm (-20mm) have you noticed a significant increase in riding comfort?

I understand from reading the forms that the 991.2 suspension re-fresh (dampers) significantly improved the normal setting and stiffened up the sport so in other words made normal more comfy/ compliant and sport more sporty/ firm.

I am looking for a noticeable change in comfort as my car is an everyday driver but still want the insane Corning ability when the moment calls for.

Many have described the dsc unit providing this but I cannot tell if they are referring to their 991.1 or 991.2 cars?
Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Lots of guys running it on 991.2. Will make a .2 more compliant, yes. They're sold out at the moment I believe. Waiting to get one when they come back in stock in April.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:58 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

First drive this morning with the DSC controller in. Slightly confused if this is for me. I need to drive it more.
Initial thoughts are it seems to get better as you push harder. At lower thresholds it feels a little choppier than stock to me. Normal mode feels like there is more bounce albeit more dampening. Sport suspension mode unites the two ends of the spectrum for sure, but there was some rear end behavior that felt funny in a couple turns. Less stable to me, more rotational in terms of rear weight, almost top heavy. Part or this might be tires and pressures and maybe this a good thing dynamically when closer to limits. etc. At moderate limit it felt less secure in the rear. Maybe DSC sport with and without rear axle steering performs a little differently. I don't have RAS and my rear end feels a little more clunky than how it feels stock, but maybe not. It was not a lot of test driving.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-27-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:47 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
First drive this morning with the DSC controller in. Slightly confused if this is for me. I need to drive it more.
Initial thoughts are it seems to get better as you push harder. At lower thresholds it feels a little choppier than stock to me. Normal mode feels like there is more bounce albeit more dampening. Sport suspension mode unites the two ends of the spectrum for sure, but there was some rear end behavior that felt funny in a couple turns. Less stable to me, more rotational in terms of rear weight, almost top heavy. Part or this might be tires and pressures and maybe this a good thing dynamically when closer to limits. etc. At moderate limit it felt less secure in the rear. Maybe DSC sport with and without rear axle steering performs a little differently. I don't have RAS and my rear end feels a little more clunky than how it feels stock, but maybe not. It was not a lot of test driving.
You bring up a few good points and i'd like to ask you for a few more data points to contextualize your feedback.

You mention that you don't have RAS, that's relevant.

Is your car RWD or AWD?
If RWD, is it narrow or wide body?

Which tires are you using?

Which tire pressures are you using?

Do you have any other suspension modifications? (lowering, spherical or OEM top mounts, camber settings, etc.)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Carrera T. Narrow body, 305 rear p zero tire. Pressures are a bit high, got up to 32 front and 36 rear while driving only a little. All suspension is stock.

Edit, after driving a little more I like it more. There is benefit to the two ends of the spectrum being more fused, or having both ends of the spectrum happening in one mode. On top of the other dynamic improvements. Again, initial thoughts are with very little driving time.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-27-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 965 Likes on 534 Posts

Hi Ceepe,
Thanks for your initial feedback. Yeah, it takes a little bit of driving to get a feel of the active suspension because we have memory of the stock suspension feel and we're expecting the static suspension resistance from what we felt before. The DSC active suspension algorithm is start soft and then stiffen up to the G-force. The harder you drive the stiffer the suspension commands get in real time. If you find yourself liking the DSC Sport mode and think the DSC Normal mode starts out too soft for your personal preference I can help you custom tune Normal mode. Or you can try the different calibration files from the DSC website. The two I suggest trying is the GT3 "Tour" and GT3/RS. Definitely drive more to find out what you prefer. Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
Ceepe (03-27-2020), Nathan_ (03-27-2020)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport is Freaky