Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi All,

I’ve tried to search the forum (and have now spent entirely too much on seats that have not worked thus far), but still looking for a good booster seat to fit my tall(ish) 7 year old. I’m hoping to retain something with some head support given the lack of headrests in the 991. I tried the Maxi Cosi Rodifix, but the 991 seat back does not reach my child’s ear level. I’m moving toward the Porsche branded Plus booster and looking for a good picture of the seat installed.

If anyone has this installed and have a quick picture, would you mind posting it up here? I’m accumulating too many seats...haha

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2021, 04:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1
Hi All,

I’ve tried to search the forum (and have now spent entirely too much on seats that have not worked thus far), but still looking for a good booster seat to fit my tall(ish) 7 year old. I’m hoping to retain something with some head support given the lack of headrests in the 991. I tried the Maxi Cosi Rodifix, but the 991 seat back does not reach my child’s ear level. I’m moving toward the Porsche branded Plus booster and looking for a good picture of the seat installed.

If anyone has this installed and have a quick picture, would you mind posting it up here? I’m accumulating too many seats...haha

Thanks!
Have had similar concerns about the transition from car seat to just the rear seat of the 991. Volvo makes/made a "center" car seat with a tall and narrow back, which can be purchased with or without the base. Might be worth looking at?

https://www.volvocars.com/za/buy/pur...he-child-seats

"Designed for children aged 4–10 years, or who weigh approx. 15–36 kg, our booster cushion with backrest ensures the safety belt always sits correctly to provide children with the same high level of comfort and safety as they grow. The booster cushion and backrest features off black charcoal upholstery, which is machine washable at 40°C, while the backrest can be adjusted for improved rest/sleep position and features five different height settings. The booster cushion with backrest weighs 3 kg. Volvo recommends children travel facing the rear until they are at least 4 years of age."

Looks like it's $95~ here.
https://www.bostonvolvocarsparts.com...yABEgKbgPD_BwE

Might be worthy of consideration, at least?
Old 01-08-2021, 05:38 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are using a full booster with LATCH support, I'd also suggest looking at removing the rear seatback where you are installing the child seat. You get a lot more depth, and a more secure connection (at least in my view) without being braced against a moveable seatback.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

Thanks both for the replies - I’ll take compare some measurements on the Volvo seat. It looks like it could offer some headrest support and is slim in shape. I think you have to
purchase both the base and back separately, so the cost is pretty close to the Porsche Plus seat in total, but the Volvo seat may actually be a better shape to raise the seat back in the 991. Would like to hear if any other 991 owners have installed the Plus seat to confirm it is a good option (despite the tequipment site confirming it should fit in the 991).

Hoping to avoid removing the back seat cushions (my wife is for some reason not on board), but may have to go that route as was planning for the occasional trip with kids to enjoy the car.

Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2021, 10:33 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Schoi78
If you are looking for a high back booster, the hi-fold booster is perfect for the 991.2

It has so many ways to adjust!

Thanks both for the replies - I’ll take compare some measurements on the Volvo seat. It looks like it could offer some headrest support and is slim in shape. I think you have to
purchase both the base and back separately, so the cost is pretty close to the Porsche Plus seat in total, but the Volvo seat may actually be a better shape to raise the seat back in the 991. Would like to hear if any other 991 owners have installed the Plus seat to confirm it is a good option (despite the tequipment site confirming it should fit in the 991).

Hoping to avoid removing the back seat cushions (my wife is for some reason not on board), but may have to go that route as was planning for the occasional trip with kids to enjoy the car.

Thanks again!
Have you tried this Hi-Fold Booster? Can't see how this wouldn't be perfect for your needs, it's what I plan on buying when I purchase my 991.

Amazon Amazon

It's a bit pricey for a booster but looks like it's worth it.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by uphoto
Have you tried this Hi-Fold Booster? Can't see how this wouldn't be perfect for your needs, it's what I plan on buying when I purchase my 991.

https://www.amazon.com/hifold-fold-h...0159536&sr=8-1

It's a bit pricey for a booster but looks like it's worth it.
Thanks, checked that one out too, problem is that I need the back of the booster seat to extend beyond the back of the car seat (same problem for many of the others I’ve identified). I think it could work for a smaller child, but my son is too tall now...

Old 01-08-2021, 11:20 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Is his head above the back of the seat when sitting without a booster? That would be a REALLY tall kid.........

I think the reason this works well is the seat base isn't really thick, so they don't sit up as high.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by uphoto
Is his head above the back of the seat when sitting without a booster? That would be a REALLY tall kid.........

I think the reason this works well is the seat base isn't really thick, so they don't sit up as high.
He is getting close without a booster. I definitely think the thinnest booster would have the best chance of success in my case though unless the booster has independent neck support that doesn’t require a headrest directly behind it (this caused the Rodifix to not work for us). I’ve got the base only version of the above (mifold) too that I’ll try for measurement. It is truly absurd how many car seats we own for two children....

Planning to do some experimenting over the weekend and will report back on any findings. I feel like I’m headed toward the Porsche Plus seat which may end up a temporary solution.

Thanks again everyone for the input.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:33 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I wish they had head rests in the rear seats. Feels a bit risky to not have them, and I'm not sure why extend/retract style ones like in 3rd row seats couldn't be engineered in there.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:42 AM
churros
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks again!
I'm in the same situation, 8 year kid about 50" tall, didn't feel safe with just a backless booster because no neck/head protection. Tried the maxi-cosi rodifix which fit very securely, but the top was already hitting the pillar and the shoulder belt clip was already touching the kid's shoulder. He probably would not fit in it 6 months from now.

I found a recommendation on another thread for the Mifold Hifold and it's pretty much perfect. Last I checked, it was on Amazon for $112. It works because there is no base, so it sits low and the headrest doesn't touch the pillar or extend higher than the seat back. My only wish was that it was a "latched" booster, but once the kid is in it, it's pretty secure. He's tall enough that his feet rest on the floor. It's a little bit lacking in cushioning, so I slipped a carwash mitt underneath the bottom cushion. Also placed a Diono foam bar (pool noodle would work too) behind the bottom to give it a bit of an angle so it's not completely upright since I removed the lower seat cover to fit a protective mat.

Don't forget the cup holder, it fits perfectly on the left side of the seat, and will run you another $10. After going through countless of boosters, I realized that what I was really looking for was proper seating position for seatbelts (across the lap and shoulder) and a headrest for neck protection (and naps). The hifold was perfect for these, and should grow with him for a couple more years until he doesn't need to be in a booster anymore.

Maxi-cosi rodifix too big

Mifold Hifold headrest does not extend past seat back

Plenty of headroom to grow

Cupholder fits perfectly

Last edited by churros; 01-11-2021 at 04:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by churros:
edirtaynine (01-12-2021), westcoastj (01-14-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 10:56 PM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is very reassuring! I was in the process of getting a 911 (997.1) and discovered we will welcome a new (first) addition to our family this year
I debated passing on a 911 (or getting a Cayenne to scratch the P itch, although not the same ofc).

I am 6.2 210 and my wife is only 5.3 so it seems like I'll be able to have the seat fit nicely behind the passenger seat and she'll still have sufficient legroom. Thanks everyone for all the pics and insights!
Old 01-12-2021, 01:29 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by contentmuffin7
This thread is very reassuring! I was in the process of getting a 911 (997.1) and discovered we will welcome a new (first) addition to our family this year
I debated passing on a 911 (or getting a Cayenne to scratch the P itch, although not the same ofc).

I am 6.2 210 and my wife is only 5.3 so it seems like I'll be able to have the seat fit nicely behind the passenger seat and she'll still have sufficient legroom. Thanks everyone for all the pics and insights!
The only problem, as I am in the same boat, is your new addition won't be able to go in the 911 for at least 3 years, as a reverse facing seat won't work.
The following users liked this post:
contentmuffin7 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 03:26 PM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't aware thanks (I know nothing about this, need to read up).

Last edited by contentmuffin7; 01-12-2021 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Edit: shortened answer + typo
Old 01-12-2021, 03:28 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by contentmuffin7
I wasn't aware thanks (I know nothing about this, need to read up). Are you in the same boat as in you're considering getting a 911?
I have a 991 already, and a 5 month old. Can't wait for the day I can take him in it if I keep it that long.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:09 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

@AdamSanta85 the big guy will be forward facing in no time!!! I take mine and she is just about to turn two

(yes, she doesn’t like to keep the belt on properly-this was just around the block)

Last edited by polobai; 01-12-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat