Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 12:49 AM
Bassman79
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 39 Posts

Besides the Wayb, has anyone had success with a forward facing seat that provides maximum room for the passenger sitting in front? My wife is on the taller side (almost 5'10") and the Graco Extend2fit we have now positions our daughter too far forward, which means the front passenger seat has to scoot up too far. We have a 991.1 C4S. My wife isn't thrilled about the Wayb because it looks more like a "travel seat" to her and she's wanting something that looks more like other car seats. I also just removed the seatback in the back seat and it does not help - the car seat has nothing to push against and it tips backward. I can't get the seat to install in a way that it doesn't wiggle around.

Any tips are appreciated!
Old 07-28-2020, 01:57 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,391 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassman79
Besides the Wayb, has anyone had success with a forward facing seat that provides maximum room for the passenger sitting in front? My wife is on the taller side (almost 5'10") and the Graco Extend2fit we have now positions our daughter too far forward, which means the front passenger seat has to scoot up too far. We have a 991.1 C4S. My wife isn't thrilled about the Wayb because it looks more like a "travel seat" to her and she's wanting something that looks more like other car seats. I also just removed the seatback in the back seat and it does not help - the car seat has nothing to push against and it tips backward. I can't get the seat to install in a way that it doesn't wiggle around.

Any tips are appreciated!
My wife is on the shorter side (5’2” on a good day lol)... the Graco slimfit works great. Not only does it not rub on either side (door side & tran tunnel) it doesn’t stick out too far and our son fits well in it with room to spare. She does move the seat forward at least halfway.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:53 PM
Bassman79
Instructor

Originally Posted by smiles11
My wife is on the shorter side (5’2” on a good day lol)... the Graco slimfit works great. Not only does it not rub on either side (door side & tran tunnel) it doesn’t stick out too far and our son fits well in it with room to spare. She does move the seat forward at least halfway.
Thanks! I may give that one a try. Moving the seat up halfway may be more or less the same issue we’re having with our current Graco, though. I’ll see if I can find one locally to try.

Also - two more updates for those that have thought about it:
- Even when removing the rear seat back, the metal stud to which the seat attaches gets in the way of the two seats I tried (the Graco and also a 2016 Diono Radian rxt). Removing the stud is easy, just needs a Torx t-30, but I still ran into the problem of the seats tipping too far back and no longer retaining enough contact with the seat bottom. So that was a no-go.
- Speaking of the Diono, we had that seat in our other car (Forester) and I thought I’d give it a go in the 991. As others have said it does hit the roof liner. But there is a lot of padding, so I’m ok with it short-term while I look for a better solution. If there were a slightly shorter Diono it would probably work. Mine was about 28” tall, and I think the current Radian models are the same height.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:31 AM
good2bgreek
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Burn Meter
Lil Update

Pico Wayb - I've been running it regularly for 5 months now. It's been fabulous. My wife is 5"10 and has ample room in the front seat with my son behind her. Take out the rear seat back, prop up the front of the PIck with a towel. Perfect recline...put in sport mode....night night toddler. I have looked into the Graco 4ever (based on thread history) and will give that a shot as the as my son will outgrow the seat soon...it's a very short crotch buckle.

Maxo Cosi Rodifix - I see quite a few members run this with near perfect fit. But there's always been the wish it had 5 pt harness for younger kids (under 4).....well there may be a solution for that: https://www.especialneeds.com/e-z-on...caAp1CEALw_wcB

Immigoseat - this is possible option for the curious
I have a Pico on order for my car. Did anybody with Pico pull out seat bottoms or just the seat backs? I know it can fit with the seats in there too, but I will have 2 car seats back there. Planning Pico for my 2yr old. Debating if I go booster for the 4 yr old.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:20 AM
omaralt
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by good2bgreek
I have a Pico on order for my car. Did anybody with Pico pull out seat bottoms or just the seat backs? I know it can fit with the seats in there too, but I will have 2 car seats back there. Planning Pico for my 2yr old. Debating if I go booster for the 4 yr old.

i just pulled out the seat back.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:33 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 63 Posts

what is the width of the rear seat on the bottom? Wondering if the Uppa Baby Alta or Nuna Aace would work?

Has anyone tried these? What about the actual Porsche seat? Does anyone like these?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:13 PM
Bassman79
Instructor

Thanks! I may give that one a try. Moving the seat up halfway may be more or less the same issue we’re having with our current Graco, though. I’ll see if I can find one locally to try.

Also - two more updates for those that have thought about it:
- Even when removing the rear seat back, the metal stud to which the seat attaches gets in the way of the two seats I tried (the Graco and also a 2016 Diono Radian rxt). Removing the stud is easy, just needs a Torx t-30, but I still ran into the problem of the seats tipping too far back and no longer retaining enough contact with the seat bottom. So that was a no-go.
- Speaking of the Diono, we had that seat in our other car (Forester) and I thought I’d give it a go in the 991. As others have said it does hit the roof liner. But there is a lot of padding, so I’m ok with it short-term while I look for a better solution. If there were a slightly shorter Diono it would probably work. Mine was about 28” tall, and I think the current Radian models are the same height.
A few more updates to my above post.

Tried the Maxi Cosi Pria 85 Max and Graco Slimfit and while both fit fine, they don’t really offer the front passenger seat occupant any more meaningful room than the Graco Extend2fit I already had, so they are both going back. The Pria does not stick out as far forward, which means the child’s knees do not go as far forward, but the seat itself is taller, so that negates some of the benefits. The Graco Slimfit sits lower which is good, but also sticks out further forward than the Pria, so that also sort of negated its benefits.

I’d say the ideal car seat from a legroom standpoint would be a Diono with a shorter back. The diono seats sit low, and do not stick out very far. But since the back is so tall they hit the headliner and cause the seat to sit at a weird angle, which isn’t too safe. I called diono and confirmed all of their convertible seats are the same height.

Maxi Cosi Pria 85 Max.

Graco Slimfit.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:22 AM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kj71109
Pico WAYB fits extremely well, with a ton of room. My almost 3yr old daughter said it was comfortable, although I didn't feel like she looked like she was(sits more straight up). Anyway, she fell asleep on the 20min cruise the other day. I want to have her get some more ride time in this seat before I make a commitment to buy another one for my other daughter. She is currently in a Britax Marathon Clicktight, which I cannot recommend enough. (I own 8 of these total) This fits well, but the passenger seat does get a little tight on legroom.
Sorry to revive an old post, but how does the Marathon fit? We have a Britax Pinnacle and I tried it out at a Porsche dealer. I didn’t want to mess with the car too much, but it seemed to be an ok fit. With my daughter’s (4.5 y/o) legs straddling the seat, I (5’9”) was able to sit comfortably in front of her.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Hoping to end 2020 on a high note, I've got a free Maxi Cosi in black from my 991 to the first Bay Area 991 or 992 driver who can pick it up and promises to put it to good use. This dad certainly did.

It's in storage now, but it's pretty mint IIRC. (It was in my 991 for about 10,000 miles—and more often stowed in the front trunk than the back seat.) Will also throw in a seat protector/shoe keeper in black to protect those back seats.

Only caveat: You have to show up in the 911 you'll use it in.
The following 4 users liked this post by stout:
Bassman79 (12-31-2020), churros (01-11-2021), edirtaynine (01-04-2021), polobai (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:29 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Hoping to end 2020 on a high note, I've got a free Maxi Cosi in black from my 991 to the first Bay Area 991 or 992 driver who can pick it up and promises to put it to good use. This dad certainly did.

It's in storage now, but it's pretty mint IIRC. (It was in my 991 for about 10,000 miles—and more often stowed in the front trunk than the back seat.) Will also throw in a seat protector/shoe keeper in black to protect those back seats.

Only caveat: You have to show up in the 911 you'll use it in.
Thats nice of you, I like your style. Happy 2021
The following users liked this post:
stout (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 84 Posts

The clek liing fits rear facing even with the latch base.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:37 AM
Bassman79
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy515
The clek liing fits rear facing even with the latch base.
The front seat looks like it’s angled forward and scooted up pretty far. Would anyone be able to sit in that seat?

Also, is there any amount of the car seat base that extends in front of the seat cushion? The rear seats are so shallow that I haven’t seen any rear facing seat bases that sit fully in the seat cushion.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:51 AM
Andy515
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 84 Posts

The front seat looks like it’s angled forward and scooted up pretty far. Would anyone be able to sit in that seat?

Also, is there any amount of the car seat base that extends in front of the seat cushion? The rear seats are so shallow that I haven’t seen any rear facing seat bases that sit fully in the seat cushion.
yeah, the front seat is pretty far forward but if I strap the car seat in without the base using the seat belts (this model has the option) I can get a bit more room and my wife (5’3”) can fit up front. The base extends a little bit but this one is designed to do that as it has a leg that goes down to the footwell for support. Still a very tight fit- not arguing that... not a daily driver so it’s nice to at least be able to take the little one out with me once in a while.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:39 PM
Bassman79
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy515
yeah, the front seat is pretty far forward but if I strap the car seat in without the base using the seat belts (this model has the option) I can get a bit more room and my wife (5’3”) can fit up front. The base extends a little bit but this one is designed to do that as it has a leg that goes down to the footwell for support. Still a very tight fit- not arguing that... not a daily driver so it’s nice to at least be able to take the little one out with me once in a while.
Sounds like a great option. I'll add it to my list if we have kid #2. My wife is 5'10" so ain't no way she's sitting up front even with our 4 year old sitting in a front facing seat!
Old 01-05-2021, 04:20 PM
Furrry
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm using the Cosco from walmart, its nice a light and fits well but I removed the seatback and it leans back quiet a bit. So I put some spare wood behind it and gained back some incline, but its not perfect. I tried my graco 4ever and its just too big and clunky. Should also mention the graco left a dent in the seat that I couldn't remove with steam or leather conditioner.....doh!

Quick Reply: Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat