Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:04 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What's a HFS price for this offering?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

'15 GTS, nice color combo and build, 1 owner, clean carfax, high mileage but CPO'd by dealer and looks clean from the pictures. What would be a good offer for this one?
Old 06-27-2018, 11:21 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

I just texted with a Porsche of San Diego used car salesman about the '15 GTS- who offered me $23K less than MSRP on a 2018 Macan GTS as a partial trade for it.
I sensed ignorance or arrogance- hard to tell in a text.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:05 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I just texted with a Porsche of San Diego used car salesman about the '15 GTS- who offered me $23K less than MSRP on a 2018 Macan GTS as a partial trade for it.
Unfortunately, if they are like many other P-car dealers I have encountered, I am pretty sure it's both.

I understand it's a business, but since when is rape and pillage a good business strategy?
Old 06-28-2018, 01:45 AM
driIve
Instructor

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Unfortunately, if they are like many other P-car dealers I have encountered, I am pretty sure it's both.

I understand it's a business, but since when is rape and pillage a good business strategy?
So what would be a fair offer and purchase price for this particular car? I am semi interested and just want to toss out an offer.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:53 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by r00t61
I'll chime in here and say that this thread also helped me with my 911. Without the ability to pull build sheets, I would have probably bought something else.
I completely agree. Even though my purchases have not been "HFS" posts specifically, the knowledge gained here allowed me to jump on cars when they came up for sale online, as I knew what to look for and what to avoid. Without the thread, I would have wasted a bunch of time calling dealers, inquiring about mediocre builds. The knowledge here allowed us to grab our ridiculously spec'd 26,000 mile, manual 991 C2S cab (probably the most performance-oriented cab I have ever seen) from a dealer for 49% of MSRP, who probably thought they had a 997. I saw the pics and started mentally checking boxes: full leather, burmester, 18-ways, SC, 7MT, PSE, PDCC....I have to buy this car unless the car is misrepresented!

Had this thread not been in existence, I likely would have passed over it, thinking it was just another $112k build, instead of a $138k one. I pity the guy who accepted $56k on trade for it; boy did he get the shaft!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:17 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU

It is not a good business model. The sales manager came up with the quote/vauation. He then voice-called me after I texted the underling that their offer was an insult. The stereotypical shyster flim flam man image of used car salesman is alive and well at Porsche of San Diego.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM
driIve
Instructor

It is not a good business model. The sales manager came up with the quote/vauation. He then voice-called me after I texted the underling that their offer was an insult. The stereotypical shyster flim flam man image of used car salesman is alive and well at Porsche of San Diego.
What was the offer? They told me $95800 was the e-price special. I asked if that was their bottom line and they didn't respond.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:10 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AHnNC
I'm looking for a Jetta for my son to take to college and the VW VIN search has also been down for a couple of days.
GTI >>> Jetta

We have a base GTI and no way to find a better all-around car for $20k!

Not sure why the bid is a surprise. My mother bought a loaded Macan GTS for 10%+ off MSRP (she could have purchased a Turbo for 20% off), so of course a dealer would bid low knowing they do not sell for MSRP.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by driIve
What was the offer? They told me $95800 was the e-price special. I asked if that was their bottom line and they didn't respond.
We never got that far, since they offered me $23K less than MSRP trade value for my 2018 Macan GTS. That is a 25% reduction on a perfect condition current model year vehicle.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid

Not sure why the bid is a surprise. My mother bought a loaded Macan GTS for 10%+ off MSRP (she could have purchased a Turbo for 20% off), so of course a dealer would bid low knowing they do not sell for MSRP.
If what you say is true, your mother paid less than invoice. The TOTAL dealer profit is 9% at full MSRP. If they are dumping excess inventory to make room for newer cars, then perhaps that 10% (or 20%) may have occurred. It is an anomaly. Dealers rarely sell below their cost.

Mine was a Euro Delivery, which costs the dealer 3% of MSRP, but they get another allocation to replace the ED car. I negotiated with two dealers about the remaining 6%, and how we would split it- so I am familiar with the margin.

If the MSRP for my 2018 Macan GTS was $230K, then your "10%+ off MSRP" story would explain the $23K depreciation in 9 months that Porsche of San Diego thinks is "market rate". As I stated in another post: Their Sales GM is ignorant or arrogant, probably a bit of both.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

If what you say is true, your mother paid less than invoice. The TOTAL dealer profit is 9% at full MSRP. If they are dumping excess inventory to make room for newer cars, then perhaps that 10% (or 20%) may have occurred. It is an anomaly. Dealers rarely sell below their cost.

Mine was a Euro Delivery, which costs the dealer 3% of MSRP, but they get another allocation to replace the ED car. I negotiated with two dealers about the remaining 6%, and how we would split it- so I am familiar with the margin.

If you don't like the deal, negotiate on the car alone and move on. Sell the Macan on your own. You think you'd get any less than $15K off MSRP FSBO?? Doubt it. It better have less than 2K miles.

So a new Macan is 5%-7% off MSRP. Turbos/GTS are more because some dealers are stuck with them. So he gives you 25% off MSRP and will probably sell for 15% off MSRP. Any surprise?? What the heck do you expect?? All these cars do have serious deprecation.

Dealers get incentive kick backs, etc on their costs. Bemo finds those deals and has gotten some great buys. Read up on his GTS purchase someday.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Joseesq
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 911 Carrera S Cabriolet $74k and 13,749 Miles

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=0&cspheader=1

WP0CB2A94DS155998

Since we don’t have the build sheets I can only go by pictures. This car has PDK, SC, PSE, 14 or 18 way, Bose, ventilated and heated seats, SD steering wheel, keyless entry, maybe PDCC(?), etc. MSRP should be at least $125k. Need to look at car fax to make sure it’s clean but this appears to be a great deal with a low mileage car. This is at the Ferrari dealership in San Francisco.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
If you don't like the deal, negotiate on the car alone and move on. Sell the Macan on your own. You think you'd get any less than $15K off MSRP FSBO?? Doubt it. It better have less than 2K miles.

So a new Macan is 5%-7% off MSRP. Turbos/GTS are more because some dealers are stuck with them. So he gives you 25% off MSRP and will probably sell for 15% off MSRP. Any surprise?? What the heck do you expect?? All these cars do have serious deprecation.

Dealers get incentive kick backs, etc on their costs. Bemo finds those deals and has gotten some great buys. Read up on his GTS purchase someday.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by driIve
So what would be a fair offer and purchase price for this particular car? I am semi interested and just want to toss out an offer.

I was commenting on the trade offer, not the sale offer. I don't know the target car.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Overall what really matters is getting a price that you're happy with for a car. Speculating on what the dealer is making on it is irrelevant.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991