Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2S vs C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:56 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It isn't so much torque steer as the unnatural sensation of steering with something else attached to the wheels, making them do something other than what the steering wheel is commanding them to do. This is one of the reasons I got rid of the GT-R. It never had torque steer, just unnatural steering. Same reason I don't like the Gallardo and the R8. 110 extra pounds is never a good thing, either.

As for better in rain and snow, I say rubbish to AWD. Rain should never be a problem if there is tread on the tires. Snow is best handled with proper snow tires, not AWD. I never have any issues with RWD cars equipped with winter tires in snow, in fact they are fun to drive. A 911, with the rear weight bias, ought to be a phenomenal snow machine in RWD with good winter tires.
The following users liked this post:
d-- (04-18-2022)
Old 10-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yep. LOL! A P-Zero in 305/30/20 ($426) cost $7.00 more than a 295/30/20 ($419). $14.00 total. That's less than 3 Starbuck's Jamaican Blue Mountain Grande Clovers, double cup. 991 owners are seeing great tires wear, well above 10,000 miles. Heck, my car with just under 12,000 miles still has 5/32's on the rear and 7's up front. Michelin Super Sports has a $53/tire spread ($428 vs $375). *all Tire Rack pricing
I think you're sarcasm was lost in the crossfire Lex... Made me smile though
Old 10-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Presumably a rear mounted engine with front steering is less susceptible to torque steer in the first place?

I am astonished we're now debating C4 v C2... I bought the C4 predominantly for the same reasons as Lex but wouldn't think twice about questioning someone who chose c2 for the opposite reason.... I'd still look and admire... It's what men do every day lol.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

That's nice but the subject here is the Porsche 911, nothing to do with anyone else's stab at trying to make a car.

Usually when comparing cars they are far apart. The one time I was able to drive back-to-back was a 997 GTS and C4S. Differences in terms of steering feel were surprisingly small. Yes the GTS had a bit more responsive or lively feel to it, but really when you think about it most of that is not truly steering it is more due to balance. Any 911 for example, will feel different with a full tank of gas compared to nearly empty. The difference of around 80 lbs is only about half what AWD adds, but the tank is all one place while AWD weight is spread around more, I'd guess around 50 of the extra 150 lbs up front. Anyway, this is for people who've never driven these variants to compare (and maybe never will) just to give everyone some idea of the magnitude of what we're talking about. Go back far enough (or talk about anything other than a Porsche) and these differences are likely a lot bigger. Today they are vanishingly small, down to the difference in how much gas is in the tank- which in case anyone doubts this please read one of the many reviews saying the C4S steering might even feel a little better than the C2S.

Also anyone saying 110 lbs is never a good thing, you have no argument with me. But you might want to talk a bit with Andreas Preuninger or Dr. Franz-Steffen Walliser, the lead guys behind the GT3 and 918 respectively. Both cars are widely regarded as state-of-the art driver's and performance cars. The GT3 uses PDK and RAS, both of which added significant weight. The 918 weighs 3,620 lbs, and that's the lightweight Weissach version. It would seem that there is weight… and then there is weight.

And, come to think of it, the 918 is all wheel drive.
tcal765 (02-12-2022)
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Presumably a rear mounted engine with front steering is less susceptible to torque steer in the first place?

I am astonished we're now debating C4 v C2... I bought the C4 predominantly for the same reasons as Lex but wouldn't think twice about questioning someone who chose c2 for the opposite reason.... I'd still look and admire... It's what men do every day lol.
I hope nobody's debating in terms of which is better. That one can only be answered in terms of what you want from your car. But there are differences. Just exactly what those differences are, that to me (obviously!) is a terrific subject well worth talking about!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

You are right of course... I'm just getting protective in my old age... That and the fact I loved the look of the 991 'period' before I'd ever driven one or knew what the differences were (read 12 months ago)...
Old 10-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
<<<@!1!@>>>

That's because there hasn't been noticeable torque steer on any 911 since at least the 993's. I have driven 993 C4S & TT, 996 Turbo, all of them on street, track and autocross, and 997 C4S on the street. None of them exhibited any torque steer at all. By the way I wasn't picking on anyone in particular. That would be unfair, since nobody got it right. All the same, I get what people are trying to describe.

Now given that Porsche had (assuming it was ever there to begin with) eliminated torque steer as far back as those earlier generations, well then to me it is inconceivable for it to now appear in the 991.

Inconceivable! High Quality - YouTube

Perhaps this is question of symantics....let's not use the phrase "torque steer".

Let's simply say the steering is" less pure" in AWD because of the uneven front-wheel turning upon acceleration due to different grip factors on each individual wheel because of omnipresent surface irregularities. Each front wheel behaves in a unique manner in terms of applying the front-drive force. That is consequently a more complex response than no drive on the front wheels. How's that?
d-- (04-18-2022)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:51 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For me, living in a warm environment, the choice was C2S. It costs less which is a big deal. I prefer the C4S wide body. The deal breaker however was the light strip, which I don't like, but that's just personal choice. If GTS was around when I bought my car, maybe I would've picked that.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 PM
K1600GT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Having driven both the C2S feels lighter, but the *** got me.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Some say the driving feel between the two is a pull (C4S) versus a push (C2S) sensation.

Having driven both, I have yet to discern such a nuance.
Unless the conditions are less than ideal, I'm not sure how one would feel much of a pull in a C4S, since the front wheels would not be as actively involved. I've owned two C4S's and I have not experienced this sensation either. I can't remember a time, in fact, that the front wheels (pull) were more actively involved than the rear wheels (push).

As to the weight issue, yes the C4S comes with additional weight. But it's all in the front, which is not the worst place for it.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Nukleuz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about thread Revival!

Sitting in a predicment myself. I am looking at getting into a 991.1 , I love the fat ***, but the rear wheel drive i think would
be more fun, and the GTS is just out of my budget.

I see the last posts were around 2014. Obviously now the 991.1 has been around a lot longer. Any more opinions?
Old 10-19-2017, 12:19 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nukleuz

Sitting in a predicment myself. I am looking at getting into a 991.1 , I love the fat ***, but the rear wheel drive i think would

I see the last posts were around 2014. Obviously now the 991.1 has been around a lot longer. Any more opinions?
Everyone has opinions. Some want it, some don't.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:32 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

delete.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:45 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

There is no difference in performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUkX...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKP...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Nukleuz

When I was shopping, I thought for sure I was going to get a 991.1 4S. I liked the idea of the wider rear and the AWD for the half of the year of bad weather we have in Chicago (granted I don't really drive the 911 in the snow).

When I did my shopping, I was fortunate to be able to line up both a S and 4S next to each other. The added rear width of the 4S is almost unnoticeable. I was expecting more of an obvious difference similar to C7 corvette narrow and wide body models. But I will say the difference between the S and Turbo/GT3 RS rear width is very noticeable.

The S being RWD had me a little concerned but after several spirited drives in fairly cold and slightly wet weather (I did my shopping in Feb), I was really surprised how well the S handled. It never felt unsafe but granted I was driving on a good all season performance tires.

Since neither of the primary factors (extra width and concern about RWD in poor conditions) turned out to be all that important, I just included the S in my searching.

At the time of my decision, it just turned out that the better deal and spec available was on the S. Had the circumstances been reversed, I would have been happy to take the 4S.
PatrickBateman (04-19-2022)

Quick Reply: C2S vs C4S