Sponsored by:

C2S vs C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:25 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
When I was shopping, I thought for sure I was going to get a 991.1 4S. I liked the idea of the wider rear and the AWD for the half of the year of bad weather we have in Chicago (granted I don't really drive the 911 in the snow).

When I did my shopping, I was fortunate to be able to line up both a S and 4S next to each other. The added rear width of the 4S is almost unnoticeable. I was expecting more of an obvious difference similar to C7 corvette narrow and wide body models. But I will say the difference between the S and Turbo/GT3 RS rear width is very noticeable.

The S being RWD had me a little concerned but after several spirited drives in fairly cold and slightly wet weather (I did my shopping in Feb), I was really surprised how well the S handled. It never felt unsafe but granted I was driving on a good all season performance tires.

Since neither of the primary factors (extra width and concern about RWD in poor conditions) turned out to be all that important, I just included the S in my searching.

At the time of my decision, it just turned out that the better deal and spec available was on the S. Had the circumstances been reversed, I would have been happy to take the 4S.
Same for me except I live in the south and don't care about inclement weather since I won't drive this car on the 3 days a year we might get snow/frost...

There is a premium on AWD cars and I was in the hunt for a low mileage car for a deal. I'll also echo your comment that the wideness isn't as differentiated as previous models.

FWIW.... at Treffen, I was able to take turns much faster than a RUF Cayman who squeaked his tires a lot.... me with the top down and enjoying a cigar (thanks PDK) if that tells you how much I was pushing. in all Fairness the Cayman was also supercharged(RUF & 400bhp) but he had the full RUF suspension and brakes installed at RUF so I don't know if it was because of his power that he squealed his tires so much.

I've also been to the mountains with a 991.2 base AWD and was much faster while not crossing the center line(big pet peeve of mine) but I think this was a lot to do with the driver mod.

These are all very non scientific testimonies but even Randy Pobst can't get a better lap time out of the 4S!
Old 10-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Good video comparison here.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:30 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I loath these comparisons with different transmissions when they are measuring by lap times. AND, one has the powerkit. Edit, they both have the powerkit but it's cold and wet and they're comparing 2wd to Awd...
Old 10-19-2017, 05:40 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I too would have been happy with an S or 4S, just so happened the S I found had better options and value.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I loath these comparisons with different transmissions when they are measuring by lap times. AND, one has the powerkit. Edit, they both have the powerkit but it's cold and wet and they're comparing 2wd to Awd...
Lap time is irrelevant IMO, but the handling comments are still meaningful. And both cars are gorgeous, so it's an easy video to watch.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:09 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Lap time is irrelevant IMO, but the handling comments are still meaningful. And both cars are gorgeous, so it's an easy video to watch.
I love my C2S dearly and have learned how to drive it... for anyone new to 911's though - playing devil's advocate - the extra weight over the front alone doesn't hurt. That being said - there is just so much traction in these cars inherently....

I've typed this so many times... but for anyone looking, we knit every option here on the forum. A base; no option 911, gets you 98% there and the remaining 2% is comprised of trim levels and options. So for 90K you get 98% the car of a 170K highly optioned S/GTS. Is that 80K spread worth it? To some yes and to others it's worse and the base stripper manual is the car to get.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:29 AM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through this debate myself between the C2S vs C4S vs GTS. I like the look of the widebody, but it is so subtle that only true enthusiasts can tell the difference. The difference is 1.7" in width and 1.5" in total track. If you were to look on either side of the car, you are trying to differentiate .85" of additional width. Take out a ruler and see if you can differentiate from a distance. The C4S / GTS side skirts are the one thing that makes the car look wider. Not necessarily the light bar IMO. There's a thread here where a C2S owner retrofitted the widebody side skirts to his car which instantly accentuated the rear hips.

I decided on the C2S for the following reasons:
  1. I live in sunny California
  2. C2S is much lighter than the C4S and GTS. C4S weighs over 100lbs more for the wider body and AWD drivetrain. GTS weighs a little more due to larger turbos, wide body; extra power offset by additional weight - negligible
  3. Extra $$$ saved was spent on more options
  4. Larger frunk
  5. I purchased my car, but the C2 and C2S have the highest residual of the standard lineup.
Get the AWD version if you live in 4 season climate and plan to drive it year round. If you must have the wide body, get the standard GTS and stick to RWD.

Created an Instagram account for my ride: https://www.instagram.com/nine91.2/
Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Couple of things made the decision easy for me.
1. I owned two BMW E60s (5 series). I so much preferred the handling of the RWD version versus the AWD version. Hands down better in steering feel.
2. I kind of agree that rain shouldn't affect the handling too much. Using a new 911 on snowy days just makes me a bit queasy. So my plan is use alternative transportation on those days. By the way, you can break a RWD loose in the wet with leaves around, until the nannies kick in. You have to bring out your worst driving style to do that.
3. Price- you just have to choose your options to your budget.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking for a 2S and ended up with a 4S because it had a configuration closer to my ideal one. Both are great cars.

The 4s should be faster in wet/snow conditions all other things being equal. The 4s should be more forgiving with the driver in wet/snow conditions all other things being equal.

The 2S should be "more fun" if you want to play with the rear end on the track / back roads.

The rear end difference is definitely noticeable!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by coxswain
I've heard that most professional racers and veteran trackies prefer C2S, as it feels sportier and slightly lighter; by contrast, causal drivers prefer C4S, as it has this perceived surefootedness and an advantage in a foul weather.
This is precisely the best way to describe the difference. It is subtle, but noticeable depending on your driving skills.

I would never want a C4S personally, but it’s a great car for many.

If you can’t tell the difference after driving them back to back and don’t live in Socal/or the American Southwest, (where rain/snow is very rare), then you should go with C4S, unless price difference is important to you.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:54 AM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Revival of the thread again. Sorry to ask a practical question...

Does the smaller C4S front truck fit a roll-aboard (overhead luggage bag). Two bags?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Revival of the thread again. Sorry to ask a practical question...

Does the smaller C4S front truck fit a roll-aboard (overhead luggage bag). Two bags?
One...yes.

Two...doubtful, unless they are very small ones.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Newb 4S owner here. Regarding the luggage, I recently picked up my car in LA and drove up 101 / 1 up the coast back to Oregon. The frunk is marginally smaller due to more parts associated with the AWD, but I was able to get both of my check in bags to JUST fit with a few souvenirs up there as well.

Back to the 2 vs 4, I think especially in the first few years 12.5-13/14, they were still sorting out the electronic steering. I'm no pro, they all feel about the same within reason to me especially when not comparing back to back. A bunch of the online reviews said that the AWD helps the steering feel (see Motortrend 44 min mark)
. Randy Probst described the AWD as invisible and the car won the Drivers Car of the Year that year.

That all being said, if you're feeling the extra weight, and AWD dynamics (I've never seen my torque split send more that say 15% to the front) hinder your experience, then go with the 2, but I think the vast majority wont feel a major difference. I think usage and climate are more of the deciding factors. But that booty tho......
Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

A little payoff for the revival, Nice read, if you have not seen it.
https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/blog/norwegian-nomad/

Have driven an AWDs and 4WDs in the climate if not as severe, but sure comparable at times.

For that type of climate, sure go AWD/4WD, for a warm one like here where I am my choice is RWD.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Porsche Driving Experience has a "2 vs 4" experience, worthwhile IMO to checkout the differences.

Also the Winter Experience which I hope to do someday.

Quick Reply: C2S vs C4S