Sponsored by:

GTS 2015 Built -

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
My porsche dealer SA either didn't know or wouldn't tell me anything related to the GTS. I'm anxiously awaiting anything solid from the news front.
+1

It seems odd to me that porsche didn't use the Paris Motor Show to do the big reveal since it was what they announced the 997 GTS. Also, if they are indeed planning deliveries in Europe for December you would think they would want to give enough lead time.
That's because they are launching it in L.A... doh!

But I agree about the lead time, a 18-20th Nov launch for December builds does not fit the usual pattern ... I was assuming that a Nov launch would mean a Feb/Mar production start, i.e +12wks later ...
Old 10-05-2014, 04:49 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa75
Embargo on the 991 gts Will be lift on wednesday 8 october. We Will get 2 and 4wd at thé same Time and a targa4 gts as well. Delieveries start in déc. 14 for Europe
who is the embargo on exactly? The press, dealers, country orgs (PCNA)?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:51 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Embargo is on official model specific data. If the 8th is correct expect a GTS web special to appear on Porsche website. VW management wanted quicker deliveries after auto show debut to avoid loss of sales. This meant getting cars ready for sale prior to show rather than usual Porsche practice of showing car, gauging interest and taking orders, and only then building cars. Different mentality for different size auto manufacturer with different customer base expectations.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:22 AM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Embargo is on official model specific data. If the 8th is correct expect a GTS web special to appear on Porsche website. VW management wanted quicker deliveries after auto show debut to avoid loss of sales. This meant getting cars ready for sale prior to show rather than usual Porsche practice of showing car, gauging interest and taking orders, and only then building cars. Different mentality for different size auto manufacturer with different customer base expectations.
I hope thats the case I anxiously waiting on the details and being able to secure my allocation and lock my order.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
who is the embargo on exactly? The press, dealers, country orgs (PCNA)?
Yes, all. Specifically, anyone that has been privy to the model (as arranged by PAG) ahead of the official release date. So the automotive press, the photographers & video filmmakers, advertising & public relations firms, etc. Usually dealers know very little in advance...unless told at a specific US dealer meeting like the one coming up in Las Vegas! But dealers do notice if allocations are already handed out for a particular model they don't yet have! That is the information that has been 'leaked' to me. And that is apparently the information Targa 75 obtained since he is apparently affiliated with a US dealer. PCNA, the importer, would be in the know for planning purposes but would obviously not break its own company news embargo on this model.

Originally Posted by Zane S
I always had the full leather, was never a big fan of Alcantara.
Originally Posted by sportscentury
You and the rest of the world.
Alcantara® is offered by the world's leading sport car manufacturers on their sportiest models. That includes Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Porsche. You think these companies don't do market research? Personally I love it. In my opinion, the biggest drawback at the moment is the inability of Porsche yet to create a ventilated seat solution using this grippy material. Alcantara S.p.A.* offers square and round perforation options, but PAG & its seat supplier apparently don't feel comfortable enough with its longevity (resistant to tears due to its perforations on the fabric) to offer a ventilated seat covered in this 'artificial suede' material. I anticipate auto manufacturers will increase their offerings of Alcantara in different colors in the future (PAG has used only charcoal and 'bordello red') and expect alcantara to continue to grow in popularity among sport car aficionados! But, at least at Porsche, a customer can usually opt for leather if that is what he prefers. So no worries, mate!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*Alcantara® is manufactured by a specialized company based in Italy and apparently owned by the Japanese.

http://www.alcantara.com/en/automotive/27/index.do
Old 10-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Targa75
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told that power Will be close to 430hp. So may be a little more of the powerkit...
It should also be a good value for money
Double central exhaust confirmed also
No rear directionnal wheels as the gt3
Old 10-05-2014, 01:41 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

What is double central exhaust? That hideous 350z looking one?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Targa75
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one you see on the prototype. Slightly différent than the gt3
Old 10-05-2014, 03:07 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Alcantara® is offered by the world's leading sport car manufacturers on their sportiest models. That includes Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Porsche. You think these companies don't do market research? Personally I love it. In my opinion, the biggest drawback at the moment is the inability of Porsche yet to create a ventilated seat solution using this grippy material. Alcantara S.p.A.* offers square and round perforation options, but PAG & its seat supplier apparently don't feel comfortable enough with its longevity (resistant to tears due to its perforations on the fabric) to offer a ventilated seat covered in this 'artificial suede' material. I anticipate auto manufacturers will increase their offerings of Alcantara in different colors in the future (PAG has used only charcoal and 'bordello red') and expect alcantara to continue to grow in popularity among sport car aficionados! But, at least at Porsche, a customer can usually opt for leather if that is what he prefers. So no worries, mate!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I was being tongue in cheek. I'm sure enough people like it to justify the mfrs offering it. I'm glad it is an option for those who like it. But I don't find Alcantara even remotely appealing. And (outside of the internet), I don't know anyone who does. I couldn't imagine opting for it over leather, even with a cost difference. But, as with most discussions about options, it's just a matter of personal preference. So who cares what I think? (Yes, I know ... nobody! )
Old 10-05-2014, 03:58 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A preference for Alcantara might be geographic.

I live in Southern California, 50 miles inland from LA. Just last week it hit 112. I work further inland, in the High Desert - where it gets even hotter. Imagine sitting on a leather seat, and grabbing a leather steering wheel, that's been baking in that weather! Alcantara doesn't get as hot, and also doesn't get as cold as leather does.

I do a lot of track and AX events. I've always found leather to be a bit slippery. Alcantara holds better.

Frankly (and I hope Porsche isn't listening) I'd pay extra for Alcantara over leather. I like it that much better. I'll definitely be getting it in my 991 GTS.

DMoore
'13 991S (with leather, dammit)
'13 970GTS (with Alcantara)
Old 10-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,095 Likes on 654 Posts

[QUOTE=DMoore;11699263]A preference for Alcantara might be geographic.

I live in Southern California, 50 miles inland from LA. Just last week it hit 112. I work further inland, in the High Desert - where it gets even hotter. Imagine sitting on a leather seat, and grabbing a leather steering wheel, that's been baking in that weather! Alcantara doesn't get as hot, and also doesn't get as cold as leather does.

I do a lot of track and AX events. I've always found leather to be a bit slippery. Alcantara holds better.

Frankly (and I hope Porsche isn't listening) I'd pay extra for Alcantara over leather. I like it that much better. I'll definitely be getting it in my 991 GTS.

DMoore
'13 991S (with leather, dammit)

'13 970GTS (with Alcantara)[/QUOTE
The ventilated seats worked quite well on my Boxster; I haven't heard of a ventilated steering wheel but there are threads on these ceramic window tints that seem like they help quite a bit in sunny climbs (we had snow and sleet yesterday).
Old 10-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
What is double central exhaust? That hideous 350z looking one?
I'm with you. I prefer the quad exhausts on the current 991 S.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'm with you. I prefer the quad exhausts on the current 991 S.
+1

I guess we will have to wait and see, but I thought those cars with that ctr exhaust were .2 mules (esp since they had camouflaged bumpers, lights and engine cover etc) so in this case 2 + 2 != 4 for me... if this car is a parts bin
.1 and not a facelift ... what's it doing with a new exhaust...
Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djcxxx
you 'know' this or are simply speculating? no offense intended just trying to evaluate the intelligence ...
Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa75
I have been told that power Will be close to 430hp. So may be a little more of the powerkit...
It should also be a good value for money
Double central exhaust confirmed also
No rear directionnal wheels as the gt3
isnt 430 the X51 power anyhoo?

Quick Reply: GTS 2015 Built -