Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pdk or manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 03:24 PM
82Porsche928
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I didn't go on rennlist for 3 days... Look what happened!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

What happened ? Same old stories! Welcome to Jurassic park !
Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Dinosaur in mirror may be closer than it appears. Especially if your Jeep came with a manual.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
ICD9 code - 318.2 ?
ICD 9 318.2. Profound intellectual disability. IQ<20. Now that's harsh. Lol
Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy

Sweet...
I should probably clarify that I don't track it either, so not having cost me any 1st place finishes... well, you know ... But I do get a hell of a lot more enjoyment on the back roads around where I live than I would with the auto, and I'd certainly give up .3 seconds 0-60 again in a heartbeat. Technically, much less than a heartbeat, just to put it into perspective.

To warp another phrase: If shifting my 911 is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Dinosaur in mirror may be closer than it appears. Especially if your Jeep came with a manual.
Jurassic Park- Must Go Faster! - YouTube
But only if the dino didn't stop to munch on the PDK Jeep with 'Transmission Fault' on the multifunction display.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by mrstep
But only if the dino didn't stop to munch on the PDK Jeep with 'Transmission Fault' on the multifunction display.
C'mon, you MT guys were loving those clutch/shifter closeups. Probably got a little wood on. There's probably even a term for it. Just don't expect me to look it up. Especially now we know approving of advanced technology is a psychiatric disorder. Heck, I'm not even sure I speld sigh key akrick rite. Brane all MT now….
Old 06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Steve1788
AutoX

Both are great! I say get one of each. it really depend on your mood of the day (want to be more involved or lay back), where you're going, who you going with, for work or personal...etc. One of each would solve the problem.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" I had the exact same need with my very first car. It was a 1964 Rambler Ambassador"

I had that car. Was yours turquoise? My dad souped up the a/c so that it blew little ice bits. The most important car option during the summers in Houston.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM
jcsv
Track Day

Hopefully some Game of Thrones fans here:
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2014, 02:57 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was talking to my dealer yesterday and they are now paying the same price for a used late model PDK or MT. The reason..... so few MT have been sold these last few years that there is a pent up demand for used MT's because they are they scarce. Go figure.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by petee1997
I was talking to my dealer yesterday and they are now paying the same price for a used late model PDK or MT. The reason..... so few MT have been sold these last few years that there is a pent up demand for used MT's because they are they scarce. Go figure.
And PDK is an option, and options never carry much of their original cost when selling used. If everyone ordered a sunroof, the sunroof premium would collapse. That's pretty much the situation with PDK.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
I read that piece. It was classic. Somewhere in it, he asked the question "would you rather ride to 60 in 3.0 seconds, or drive there in 3.2?", or words to that effect. Succinct, no?
Catchy maybe. But a logical fallacy. Most good drivers would make the 3.0 with the PDK in the above example, but a driver of less than pefect capability might take much longer than the 3.2 secs to 60.

Regardless, there is a sound argument to be made for the virtues of the MT, if those virtues are respected for their own sake. ie: Want a 991, want to shift it myself and have a blast on city streets. Don't care about 0-60 times. I applaud those who get the 991 C2 with the MT for these thrills. I have never understood the the logic behind getting the C2S or C4S (in the more temperate weather zones) or the X51 kit and then add the MT... but I thought you said you did not care about 0-60??? Also the freer-er revving engine of the 3.4 is actually more fun to drive on the streets with the 7MT if "driving" instead of "riding" as defined above is your goal.

OTOH, I absolutely throw up at the thought of turbo of GT3 drivers whining about the lack of a MT. At least Porsche engineers are of a sound mind even if some of their customers are not.

Last edited by rpilot; 06-13-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
Catchy maybe. But a logical fallacy. Most good drivers would make the 3.0 with the PDK in the above example, but a driver of less than pefect capability might take much longer than the 3.2 secs to 60.

Regardless, there is a sound argument to be made for the virtues of the MT, if those virtues are respected for their own sake. ie: Want a 991, want to shift it myself and have a blast on city streets. Don't care about 0-60 times. I applaud those who get the 991 C2 with the MT for these thrills. I have never understood the the logic behind getting the C2S or C4S (in the more temperate weather zones) or the X51 kit and then add the MT... but I thought you said you did not care about 0-60??? Also the freer-er revving engine of the 3.4 is actually more fun to drive on the streets with the 7MT if "driving" instead of "riding" as defined above is your goal.

OTOH, I absolutely throw up at the thought of turbo of GT3 drivers whining about the lack of a MT. At least Porsche engineers are of a sound mind even if some of their customers are not.
Is this the new collective noun for a group of GT3 drivers? - I love it!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot

rpilot, your points are full of fallacy - you assume the choice of a MT is a logical one - typically the only logic to choosing a MT is you enjoy it (or you can't afford a PDK)! Apart from that, the arguments are all emotional ones - do not apply logic to emotion (although it sounds like you have as you are vomiting over some perceived issue)!
I enjoy driving a MT - I don't care if it is in a Yugo or if they were to offer one in a Veyron. Your notion that a GT3 or a Turbo or even a Carrera S with Powerkit should not have a MT because they are all faster than a C2 ONLY makes sense if your metric is limited to a lap time, 0-60 time, 1/4 mile time, etc. There is no reason at all why a person cannot enjoy one of these cars with a MT rather than the PDK.
If I were buying a vehicle for the sole purpose of tracking it, and had to have all the fastest bits to eke out every last second, 10th, or millisecond out on the track, then I would get a PDK-equipped car for sure. I have no desire to turn my car into a dedicated track toy, I enjoy driving a MT, and I do not have to be the fastest away from every stop light, and I willingly accept that a Viper, Corvette, or another 911 with a PDK can and probably will beat me on the street - I don't care!

On the other hand, I have no problem with PDK - it is a great transmission. I applaude those that have gotten one, whatever their reason. However, I cannot agree with you that it is the only "logical" choice!

Quick Reply: Pdk or manual