Pdk or manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 PM
82Porsche928
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pdk or manual

Hello, all!
I am a 928 owner, wanting to buy a nice certified 991 cab s. I am in no hurry, and will find one that is just right for me. The question I have for you:
What are some pros and cons of the pdk/manual?
I have owned one automatic before in my life, and swore I would never buy another! Lately, however, I have been pondering this.
Any feedback greatly appreciated!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Old 06-03-2014, 01:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

just do a search in this forum. You'll find many threads already devoted to that topic
Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a very polarizing topic on the Porsche Forums...I do think the bottom line is that only YOU know the "style" of driving you do and what you "want" out of the car...This would be how I would base my decision.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:14 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

+1

Definitely try to get test drives in both.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

remember that the 7sp MT is essentially the PDK box with a manual shifter, for me at this point, there is little point in the MT unless you truly want/need the 3rd pedal experience (which I do in my GT3):

Last edited by Larry Cable; 06-03-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Manual is the better choice

If you swore you'd never drive an automatic again I'd say get the manual. As others have said it depends on why you're buying the car and how you're driving it. The manual makes driving the car more fun, rewarding, and gives you more control than the PDK auto.

If you're buying the car to sit in 2 hrs of bumper to bumper traffic every day, don't enjoy driving, are obsessed w/fractions of a sec faster sequential gear changes, think it's more fun to have a computer decide gear changes, are concerned the car is too light, or are upset about having $4,000 you don't know what to do with then get the PDK.

When I was looking at cars I had a very open mind, but after 5 minutes of the PDK I found it extremely boring. The gear changes with paddles just isn't fun and as fast as it is I found myself putting it in full auto mode after a while and then playing with the radio. With the manual every time I drive the car it puts a smile on my face. I love when I'm cruising on the highway then downshift multiple gears to the exact one I want. Just the feeling and sound of revving the engine myself and controlling the timing is so rewarding with the manual.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
If you swore you'd never drive an automatic again I'd say get the manual. As others have said it depends on why you're buying the car and how you're driving it. The manual makes driving the car more fun, rewarding, and gives you more control than the PDK auto.

If you're buying the car to sit in 2 hrs of bumper to bumper traffic every day, don't enjoy driving, are obsessed w/fractions of a sec faster sequential gear changes, think it's more fun to have a computer decide gear changes, are concerned the car is too light, or are upset about having $4,000 you don't know what to do with then get the PDK.

When I was looking at cars I had a very open mind, but after 5 minutes of the PDK I found it extremely boring. The gear changes with paddles just isn't fun and as fast as it is I found myself putting it in full auto mode after a while and then playing with the radio. With the manual every time I drive the car it puts a smile on my face. I love when I'm cruising on the highway then downshift multiple gears to the exact one I want. Just the feeling and sound of revving the engine myself and controlling the timing is so rewarding with the manual.
This plus 1000!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately there is no manual box designed for 991, there is however a stick on (or is it bolt on) attachment (no cost option) which provides a manual interface for the user. Funny thing is that Porsche charge extra for the standard PDK box, where as it should really be the opposite. So those of us that use manual are fools and the ones with PDK are idiots. Therefore by buying a 991 you end up in a loose loose situation (as demonstrated in the manual vs PDK threads) but guess what we all have a huge smile on our face so you go figure!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
82Porsche928
Racer

I will go test drive both of them. I live in vegas, so traffic is inevitable. However, this will not be my daily driver, just my blow off some steam, go to a nice dinner car. I have a very open mind going into this, and like I said, will find just the right one.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:08 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had both MT and PDK's. Try driving the PDK in AUTO and loafing along at 55 and nail the gas. Then nail the brakes and see what happens with the rev matching, down shifting. Might open your eyes a wee bit. I am not biased regarding, MT's, I have raced spec racer fords for 20 years.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Weim911
Instructor

I went to the dealer to buy a MT, and after driving the PDK, I bought the PDK.... sigh... I may forget to drive stick now...
Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Brighton, you unwittingly lit the fuse on a common debate in the 991 forum, and I agree wholeheartedly that you should drive both and see which you prefer.

While I am very comfortable driving a stick, and my race car has a manual transmission, I am a lover of the PDK for both street and track use and would personally recommend it highly. However, I understand that there a lot of folks who love their record players and manual transmissions.

Seriously, it is a personal choice, with no wrong answer.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:11 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

For me it's about controlling the engine, I like to control the engine speeds myself. The PDK is amazing but I never feel like I am really controlling the engine.The auto mode is seriously crazy fast and every driving instructor I watched use this mode for lap times The control post in the center console also is reversed from what most would consider standard causing me a lot of confusion, still don't know whay they don't change this. All this makes me go for Manual. Now the 991 GT3 changes all that giving you far more control over the engine with PDK- S and all without a third pedal. Again personal choice no wrong answer.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Here we go again!

Quick Reply: Pdk or manual