lol.

$4 thousand!

I was happy to pay $4.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
In actual fact they should have charged more for manual as they had to put extra resources into modifying the PDK to a manual.
true, and I agree!

it at least should be a $0 option...
Old 06-17-2014, 03:08 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
In actual fact they should have charged more for manual as they had to put extra resources into modifying the PDK to a manual.
Not true, according to my understanding. ZF and Porsche have been collaborating on the design of these gearboxes for >10 years, they were developed in concert with one design principle being to share as many parts as possible (approx 1/3).
So the cost of the PDK is greater in part because of the increased complexity compared to the manual configuration (2 input shafts, 2 clutches, 2 different oil systems [gear lubricant; hydraulic oil to bathe clutches and control shifters], electronic controls and software), and of course in part due to the marketing principle that people will pay more for an auto gearbox.

If I am wrong in this, please point me to a source so I can correct my understanding.

Cheers!
Martin
Old 06-17-2014, 03:40 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might be right, I have not looked into it beyond the superficial and dealer input but when you take economies of scale into consideration it becomes apparent that it is not feasible for porsche to design & develop a proper manual g/box when 85-90% of market share belongs to PDK.

Even if we go by the shared platform scenario would you design the platform based on 50/50 compromise or lean towards the 85% market share. What would you do as the design chief of porsche g/box?

The result is also indicative of the design philosophy as the 7 speed g/box is apparently not on par with the 6 speed of yesteryears where as the PDK is a step forward.

Don't get me wrong i am not anti manual, I understand why some prefer manual but its a decision made by the heart & not the head.

BTW Bart posted a pic of Graphite 50th at Porsche museum and it is manual.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Those aren't anti-manual posts. Those are anti-"I-know-what's-best-for-everyone-else-and-flappy-paddles-are-for-*******" posts. There's a difference.
Oh, OK...my mistake. So, all the posts calling manual drivers slow, backward, tech-fearing luddites are just objective discussions, I suppose.

I honestly do appreciate what the PDK can do, and I understand why some people choose to buy one instead of a manual. I merely suggested that there are probably some PDK owners who are shifting for themselves that, at some level, miss the interaction with the car that a true manual offers...not that they made a mistake...just that they're missing something. Further, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are more PDK buyers who ultimately regret their choice than there are manual buyers who ultimately regret their choice. That doesn't mean that I think either transmission is right or wrong for everybody, and I never said I did.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

I went with a manual because the important options like gauges in Luxor beige and extra interior bits in leather had already pushed the MRSP over $130k and something had to go!
Seriously, I ordered a manual because I can see them as unavailable by the time I'm ready for another new Porsche. I am somewhat of a Luddite, but in this case the fun of shifting with three pedals outweighs the gain in performance for me more than my fear of advancing technology and improvement.
There is no "right" answer as long as both options are available. Why argue?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I agree with you... As do 90% of the posts on here. Unfortunately 10% think there is a factually correct and singular answer ... Or that there is a psychological gap in our lives if we have PDK... I wish I hugged my father more etc...

And I bet there is one **** guy checking those stats right now
Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
I agree with you... As do 90% of the posts on here. Unfortunately 10% think there is a factually correct and singular answer ... Or that there is a psychological gap in our lives if we have PDK... I wish I hugged my father more etc...

And I bet there is one **** guy checking those stats right now
I think for the most part its tribal banter and certainly hope everyone see it for what it is, light hearted banter. There might be the odd overboard remark or someone taking it all too seriously but that's life.

Personally I am not fussed either way, I ended up with PDK but probably would have been just as happy with manual but for different reasons, the former for the sheer performance and the latter for the individuality & classic appeal.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I went with a manual because the important options like gauges in Luxor beige and extra interior bits in leather had already pushed the MRSP over $130k and something had to go!
Seriously, I ordered a manual because I can see them as unavailable by the time I'm ready for another new Porsche. I am somewhat of a Luddite, but in this case the fun of shifting with three pedals outweighs the gain in performance for me more than my fear of advancing technology and improvement.
One of the reasons why I will *never* part with my GT3 ...
Old 06-17-2014, 02:52 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, what else is there to argue about here? transmission, colors (inside and/or outside), extent of optioning, sunroof (or lack thereof) and maybe size of wheels?? i personally enjoy reading about how others maintain their vehicles and of their experiences along with the pictures.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:53 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by 991999R
well, what else is there to argue about here? transmission, colors (inside and/or outside), extent of optioning, sunroof (or lack thereof) and maybe size of wheels?? i personally enjoy reading about how others maintain their vehicles and of their experiences along with the pictures.
Nice try.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
some ideas:

"Loaded" 997.2 vs "Stripped" 991
Base vs Bose vs. Burmester
Xenon vs LED
Red vs Clear Taillights
Standard vs Power Steering Plus
Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THPorsche
some ideas:

Base vs Bose vs. Burmester
Xenon vs LED
Red vs Clear Taillights
i think we're on to something...maybe we can turn this into a prison yard and you mosey on into the block with your affiliations tattooed all over you (think: PDK4 LIFE across your knuckles). this way all the little tribes can congregate into preapproved zones where they merrily scheme away.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
some ideas:

Base vs Bose vs. Burmester vs music by flat-6
Xenon vs LED
Red vs Clear Taillights
Your answers in green.......
Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 PM
2014 Carrera S
1st Gear

Default I went with PDK

I think driving both is sound counsel. But I have but one car with which I must live every day, so getting the PDK for me was a no brainer. The PDK is fast, smart and fun. Since I can control the gear, match revs perfectly on the down shifts and **** faster than a pro, I think the PDK wins hands down over the 3 pedals. But at the end of the day buy the 911 that puts the biggest smile on your face. That is why we drive them; not to put a smile on the face of those who see you, but just on yours. Every time you fire up that flat 6 and drive!

Quick Reply: Pdk or manual