Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Vs 991S

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014 | 01:13 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by promocop
Agreed. Guy up the street has it and rips down the block in the am Abnoxious and totally rude
My '04 VW R32 had a factory exhaust like he's describing the stock 991 S exhaust...quiet until after you nail it and the revs clime above 3500-4000 rpm, when it started screaming to everyone within a half of a mile "I'm over here, officer!"...

Even though that car sounded remarkably like a Porsche (very silky), when it started bellowing like that, it was so embarrassing that I quit exercising it...and ultimately got bored with it as a result...
Old 07-16-2014 | 01:46 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

I like my standard 991.

The stance and grip are wonderful.
Old 07-16-2014 | 09:15 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Jeez...you make the standard S exhaust sound almost exactly like what I'm after (I'd really like it to be quiet all the time), and PSE sound like I should avoid it like the plague. If this is really true, then I'll stop searching for a car with PSE right away, and I can save even more money. Yes, I'm the oddball here in that I like all my cars as quiet as possible. Even with the quietest factory exhaust, I know I'll still be able to hear that sweet Porsche flat six sound...I just don't need everyone else to hear it as well. That way I can enjoy the car's performance more often...
Ditto. This is why I ordered my car - almost everything on the lot has PSE, and to my mind (and ear) it's unnecessary and kind of silly, not to mention outrageously expensive. So I ordered a new 991S with no PSE, no sunroof and no Bose. I saved enough money that I paid only a little bit more than I would have buying a pre-owned with all of that crap on it. Plus I got it in the colors that I wanted that you would never see in dealer inventory. Linkie here.
Old 07-16-2014 | 11:06 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Love it. Gorgeous combination. I'm with you nodded mine w/o all the crap,on it!
Old 07-16-2014 | 11:44 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Sure sounds as though you're describing PSE. If the S already comes standard with something like that, how can they offer PSE as an option? The car can only be so loud before it's in violation of new car noise requirements.
Nope. Guy I got it from was replacing his with a PSE exhaust I believe.
Old 07-16-2014 | 11:59 AM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy that Porsche essentially creates a "hierarchy" of cars within the 911 brand? Let's face it .... most people would be thrilled to drive ANY 911. It just comes down to what price point you feel comfortable with. For me a C2S coupe with a ton of options came out to only 10k more than a CPO base 911 so I decided to spend the extra money, while others may decide to opt for a cab for the same price. As long as you enjoy your car to the fullest extent that's all that matters.
Old 07-16-2014 | 12:10 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy that Porsche essentially creates a "hierarchy" of cars within the 911 brand? Let's face it .... most people would be thrilled to drive ANY 911. It just comes down to what price point you feel comfortable with. For me a C2S coupe with a ton of options came out to only 10k more than a CPO base 911 so I decided to spend the extra money, while others may decide to opt for a cab for the same price. As long as you enjoy your car to the fullest extent that's all that matters.
Every class needs a pecking order it seems. I find it ridiculous, but that's life for you. Any "outsider" who would get a glimpse of these conversations would throw up or laugh... probably both.

Porsche didn't create a hierarchy, they simply offer different models for different purposes and uses (and yes, budgets) - we created the hierarchy.
Old 07-16-2014 | 12:23 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Yep I agree with you Team Plutonium.... I see why they created the GT3 (for the track, but also an amazing road car), but why create a Turbo vs. Turbo S? I mean shouldn't they just create one turbo? Such questions vex the gods.
Old 07-16-2014 | 12:29 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
Yep I agree with you Team Plutonium.... I see why they created the GT3 (for the track, but also an amazing road car), but why create a Turbo vs. Turbo S? I mean shouldn't they just create one turbo? Such questions vex the gods.
To make gobs of money... which they do. Some folks are contend to just drive a 911 to show off... some need a turbo, and some need the most powerful (currently) 911 out there. We keep buying them, they keep making them. And although Porsche didn't create the circle-jerk hierarchy they are fully aware how retarded we are.
Old 07-16-2014 | 03:20 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

HA great post plutonium...and right you are
Old 07-16-2014 | 05:12 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

You are absolutely correct. No manufacturer abuses their clientele, like Porsche. They get us on the simplest of things like a colored centre cap on the wheels. Both caps sell for the same price in the parts dept. Who would think of charging $800.00 for different color thread on seats. I'm surprised the second key is not an option. I should be careful, I don't want to give them any ideas.

That being said, we keep coming back again and again. There is simply no one else who can build a 911. It's the Rolex of cars.
Old 07-31-2014 | 04:36 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Ditto. This is why I ordered my car - almost everything on the lot has PSE, and to my mind (and ear) it's unnecessary and kind of silly, not to mention outrageously expensive. So I ordered a new 991S with no PSE, no sunroof and no Bose. I saved enough money that I paid only a little bit more than I would have buying a pre-owned with all of that crap on it. Plus I got it in the colors that I wanted that you would never see in dealer inventory. Linkie here.
Beautiful car! When I start searching in earnest for a 991, that's my dream interior. As far as your side markers, JMO, but with that color, the standard yellow ones are far less jarring than clear ones would be.
Old 08-01-2014 | 11:37 AM
MaximusNL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by petee1997
You are absolutely correct. No manufacturer abuses their clientele, like Porsche. They get us on the simplest of things like a colored centre cap on the wheels. Both caps sell for the same price in the parts dept. Who would think of charging $800.00 for different color thread on seats. I'm surprised the second key is not an option. I should be careful, I don't want to give them any ideas.

That being said, we keep coming back again and again. There is simply no one else who can build a 911. It's the Rolex of cars.
Porsche sure is a car manufacturer that has expensive options, however take a look at Ferrari when considering expensive options. The total Carbon Fibre options in the 458 Italia amount up to a staggering 20k USD. Not to mention that sport seats are optional in the 458 and are a whopping 5k USD. Colored callipers are 1.5k USD. Special paint jobs which are not in the standard pallet however not a custom color, 10k USD.

Porsche is expensive but not as expensive as say Ferrari is abusing their clientele
Old 08-01-2014 | 11:47 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaximusNL
Porsche sure is a car manufacturer that has expensive options, however take a look at Ferrari when considering expensive options. The total Carbon Fibre options in the 458 Italia amount up to a staggering 20k USD. Not to mention that sport seats are optional in the 458 and are a whopping 5k USD. Colored callipers are 1.5k USD. Special paint jobs which are not in the standard pallet however not a custom color, 10k USD.

Porsche is expensive but not as expensive as say Ferrari is abusing their clientele
...........try a couple of options on a 918.
Old 08-01-2014 | 12:00 PM
MaximusNL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
...........try a couple of options on a 918.
Fair point.

But let's not forget the La Ferrari. Reminds me of a note Jeremy Clarkson made on the F430 Coupe:

"F1 flappy gearbox, 4k GBP. That's a lot of money, but maybe you can bring it up by selling one of your legs since you won't need two when driving a Ferrari with a flappy-paddle-gearbox".

Enough about Ferrari's

Quick Reply: 991 Vs 991S