Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yippee, Meet my new baby! Adding New Photos/Info.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 PM
beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The early models are getting harder and harder to find, but you got a nice turnout there, including even a rare 928. Your car sure looks good. To judge from the photo's it is somehow able to store up sunlight so that it glows in the shade!
Thank you Chuck for your kind words, always appreciate you dropping by
BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 11-04-2014, 07:15 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

I wanted to share an experience I had today with you all. It’s one of those experiences where you hope you inspire a new generation of owners.

Today I had a delivery to my house. The driver had been there before and had seen my previous Porsche. Today he came with his teenage son, not quite old enough yet to drive. It’s election day so school was out. His son jumped out and immediately went over to the 911 and started walking around it asking about it. My hub was dealing with the delivery so he called me over to talk about the car with the boy.

So we talked sports cars for a longggg time. He loved yellow and red sports car. You could just see his eyes light up when I was willing to describe things to him and show him things like the glass roof and frunk. When the delivery was over, and his father and my hub came over, we talked cars for a time. Hub got the keys and opened the car for the teenager to see everything. They never knew what a boxer engine was. So I told my hub to drive up the street so they could hear the difference the engines sounds make.

When he got back they immediately knew that a flat six sounded different than a V6 or V8. So I explained to him what I could. We talked colors, break-in periods, RPMS, etc. Remarkable, this young man seemed surprised to see three pedals but knew what they meant and said he would only buy a manual car when old enough.

I just knew his Dad was proud of him and I thought it was really great that he could see what might be a dying breed, a manual transmission car and to hear the difference the wail of a flat six makes rather than the whoossshh of a turbo.

I’m not trying to make a big deal out of this. Many times when I got gas in my Cayman, guys would ask about the car or make comments. But this was different. It was just so nice to see a young man admiring a sports car and even knowing what a clutch was. I tried to inspire him by telling him to work hard, save your money, and when you’re old enough and financially sound, buy your dream. I think I made a convert out of him but it was probably too easy. I think his dad purposely took him with him today because he knew we had a Porsche.

Another thought that comes to mind that I would like to share is that seeing this young boy and dad so enthusiastic about seeing my car was such a treat. I could see the excitement in the teenager and I was eager to share my excitement and talk about my baby. That’s why I am so glad there is a Rennlist!

Don’t know if you all feel this way but there seems to be few people, other than fellow Porsche sports car owners, that have enthusiasm about Porsches. It is aggravating to hold in all your excitement yet I have to hear about others excitement when someone buys the latest SUV. They even noted that we all live in sea of SUVs yet a bright yellow or red sports car just puts a smile on your face.

After they left I bought some groceries and got to hear my car sing its sweet song ☺

That’s it for now. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Have a great week! Drive carefully.
BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels

Last edited by beebalm; 11-05-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Well let's see, I was a teenager back in the early 70's. Back then everyone I knew seemed to know a lot more about cars than I did. Not only did they know what a clutch is, they knew how to adjust one. In high school quite a few knew how to replace one. Same for spark plugs, points, carbs. Of course we had to know that stuff, since all the cars we could afford back then were bound to require at least some maintenance on a fairly regular basis.

Beyond that though, I recall hardly anyone who knew even the most basic facts of handling- the affects of air pressure for example or spring or roll bar stiffness. (Even today of course a lot of grown up Porsche owners here on RL are still learning, so maybe too high a standard?) Anyway while at least some of them knew these things, none of them knew anything about Porsche. I had precisely ONE friend who knew Porsches- his uncle owned a 67 911S and then a 75 Turbo.

Today I think kids know less, because they don't need to know. Or can get away with not knowing. Cars are so reliable, even old ones run without doing anything. Remove the practical need, throw in killer traffic and a culture that looks down on anything to do with gasoline, and I'm not surprised we get excited when the odd lad shows an interest. Thank God he met you, BeeBalm!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by beebalm
Hello Porsche Friends,

I wanted to share an experience I had today with you all. It’s one of those experiences where you hope you inspire a new generation of owners.

Today I had a delivery to my house. The driver had been there before and had seen my previous Porsche. Today he came with his teenage son, not quite old enough yet to drive. It’s election day so school was out. His son jumped out and immediately went over to the 911 and started walked around it asking about it. My hub was dealing with the delivery so he called me over to talk about the car with the boy.

So we talked sports cars for a longggg time. He loved yellow and red sports car. You could just see his eyes light up when I was willing to describe things to him and show him things like the glass roof and frunk. When the delivery was over, and his father and my hub came over, we talked cars for a time. Hub got the keys and opened the car for the teenager to see everything. They never knew what a boxer engine was. So I told my hub to drive up the street so they could hear the difference the engines sounds make.

When he got back they immediately knew that a flat six sounded different than a V6 or V8. So I explained to him what I could. We talked colors, break-in periods, RPMS, etc. Remarkable, this young man seemed surprised to see three pedals but knew what they meant and said he would only buy a manual car when old enough.

I just knew his Dad was proud of him and I thought it was really great that he could see what might be a dying breed, a manual transmission car and to hear the difference the wail of a flat six makes rather than the whoossshh of a turbo.

I’m not trying to make a big deal out of this. Many times when I got gas in my Cayman, guys would ask about the car or make comments. But this was different. It was just so nice to see a young man admiring a sports car and even knowing what a clutch was. I tried to inspire him by telling him to work hard, save your money, and when you’re old enough and financially sound, buy your dream. I think I made a convert out of him but it was probably too easy. I think his dad purposely took him with him today because he knew we had a Porsche.

Another thought that comes to mind that I would like to share is that seeing this young boy and dad so enthusiastic about seeing my car was such a treat. I could see the excitement in the teenager and I was eager to share my excitement and talk about my baby. That’s why I am so glad there is a Rennlist!

Don’t know if you all feel this way but there seems to be few people, other than fellow Porsche sports car owners, that have enthusiasm about Porsches. It is aggravating to hold in all your excitement yet I have to hear about others excitement when someone buys the latest SUV. They even noted that we all live in sea of SUVs yet a bright yellow or red sports car just puts a smile on your face.

After they left I bought some groceries and got to hear my car sing its sweet song ☺

BeeBalm

very cool!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 PM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Hello BeeBalm;
Terrific story & gorgeous 911. Not many people would make time & be so patient. I’m far older than care to admit & my oldest grandchild recently got her DL. Spent last weekend teaching her to drive the 356. More than a few false starts & chattering gears; but she was able to drive us to get a celebratory ice cream. In another generation 991's like yours will be unusual & manuals only seen in films. Sending your story to my granddaughter so thanks very much for sharing; & putting a small stake in the heart of Prius drivers everywhere.
Cheers!
Old 11-05-2014, 03:13 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story Beebalm!
One of my fathers friends did the same thing for me when I was about 10 yrs old... Not a porsche but a high end BMW... Now there isn't much I can remember about being 10 years old but I do remember every single detail, sound and feel of that car to this day.... And I'm sure your kindness will be equally pervasive and inspirational for that young man...
Old 11-05-2014, 11:13 AM
TheDatanator
Instructor

Oh boy...
... This took me back to 1981 or so when I was treated to a similar conversation about a 1970 914. I was taken for a ride in it and I was hooked. That little car started an obsession within me. My son and I often have these conversations - I am so happy he shares my passion about cars and Porsches!

By the way, Bee, I do indeed have a laundry basket in my man-garage for my microfiber towels.

>grin<
Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Porsche Friends,

Today I had a delivery to my house. The driver had been there before and had seen my previous Porsche. Today he came with his teenage son, not quite old enough yet to drive. It’s election day so school was out. His son jumped out and immediately went over to the 911 and started walking around it asking about it. My hub was dealing with the delivery so he called me over to talk about the car with the boy.

BeeBalm

I wonder what the young man would have done if you took him for a ride in your 911 ..
Old 11-05-2014, 06:10 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

I wanted to add something that I forgot to put in my post from yesterday.

One other thing, I showed the son the 911 key. He was awestruck never having seen a key in the shape of a car before. They both couldn’t get over it. The son held the key and put it up close to his eyes to get a good look and said it really looks just like a 911! The key is unique and I just love it and, of course, the ignition on the left was a novelty but dad knew about Le Mans.

BTW, I started to offer a ride but he was hesitant. Not sure if he didn’t want to impose and was being a young gentlemen or was just nervous. I said everyone should get a ride in a 911 at least once in their life but I think he was just nervous. It worked out anyway because we had another appointment we had to go to and it was getting late.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I always like to hear what you guys think.
BeeBalm

Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Hello Porsche Friends,

I wanted to add something that I forgot to put in my post from yesterday.

One other thing, I showed the son the 911 key. He was awestruck never having seen a key in the shape of a car before. They both couldn’t get over it. The son held the key and put it up close to his eyes to get a good look and said it really looks just like a 911! The key is unique and I just love it and, of course, the ignition on the left was a novelty but dad knew about Le Mans.

BTW, I started to offer a ride but he was hesitant. Not sure if he didn’t want to impose and was being a young gentlemen or was just nervous. I said everyone should get a ride in a 911 at least once in their life but I think he was just nervous. It worked out anyway because we had another appointment we had to go to and it was getting late.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I always like to hear what you guys think.
BeeBalm

Ahh yes this brings back memories of when I was young and .... I could still see things up close! Kid has a lot to learn- first and foremost "carpe Porsche"! Never turn down a chance like that! But you're so nice I'm sure he'll get another. Which I'm sure he'll never forget. I still remember mine like it was yesterday- even though it was 1975! Its a pretty cool gift to be able to give someone. When it finally happens I bet you enjoy it almost as much as he does!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:08 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

he was dying for that ride, he simply didn't know how to say yes ...
Old 11-06-2014, 05:06 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool story! Always great to come across someone who truly appreciates the greatness of these cars . . . and makes us realize how thankful we ought to be.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was about 14 years old around 1961 or 1962 I was walking past an older guy named Russ' house who was home from Stanford and out washing his white 1960 Corvette with bright red interior. He was about 20 or so at the time. His father was a local judge. I stood talking to him, as his younger brother was friends with my older sister, so he recognized who I was. After hanging around watching him while he dried off the Corvette he finally asked me if I wanted a ride to Foster's Freeze, the local hangout where anyone who was anybody spent their free time in our town of 14,000 at the time.
He floored the 4-speed Corvette after the first turn from his house and the six block or so ride was thrilling. I still remember being thrown back in the seat. Never been in such a powerful car.
Flash forward 30 years when I returned to my hometown of Visalia, California . . . and I ended up practicing law for over 16 years with the same nice Corvette driver.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Hello Porsche Friends,

BeeBalm

That's a great story. That kid is going to remember that day for the rest of his life.

No matter how busy or rushed I am, when a kid recognizes a car that I have, I always try to spend a few minutes with them. I believe it's not the pursuit of stuff, but the positive effects of healthy ambition that the desire for a certain car can create. That ambition can lead to something great.

Thank you for the reminder that we should all spend time with the next generation. At times, there can be a negative stigma to owning such an expensive vehicle. It helps me when someone gives me the chance to explain why I have a specific car. Many assume it is to show off. My reasoning goes way back to someone spending a few minutes with me to help me understand and appreciate what a car can mean to someone.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:25 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
Well let's see, I was a teenager back in the early 70's. Back then everyone I knew seemed to know a lot more about cars than I did. Not only did they know what a clutch is, they knew how to adjust one. In high school quite a few knew how to replace one. Same for spark plugs, points, carbs. Of course we had to know that stuff, since all the cars we could afford back then were bound to require at least some maintenance on a fairly regular basis.

Beyond that though, I recall hardly anyone who knew even the most basic facts of handling- the affects of air pressure for example or spring or roll bar stiffness. (Even today of course a lot of grown up Porsche owners here on RL are still learning, so maybe too high a standard?) Anyway while at least some of them knew these things, none of them knew anything about Porsche. I had precisely ONE friend who knew Porsches- his uncle owned a 67 911S and then a 75 Turbo.

Today I think kids know less, because they don't need to know. Or can get away with not knowing. Cars are so reliable, even old ones run without doing anything. Remove the practical need, throw in killer traffic and a culture that looks down on anything to do with gasoline, and I'm not surprised we get excited when the odd lad shows an interest. Thank God he met you, BeeBalm!
Thanks Chuck911 for your kind reply
Have a great weekend!
BeeBalm

Quick Reply: Yippee, Meet my new baby! Adding New Photos/Info.