Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:06 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only ever driven the 997.2tt and in comparison to the 991s I get the point that the OP is making. I get performance when I shout about it, fun yes, but I'd also appreciate some discrete g-forces when I don't want to draw attention to myself.

I think in our heart of hearts many/most Porsche petrolheads would opt for the TT. The only barrier is cost, in the UK the TT is c £30k to £40k more expensive which puts it out of the reach for 99% of the population which is perhaps what is provoking some of the responses. Perhaps on reflection the post was a little insensitive given the "persuasion" of the audience

m33
Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pitty.
I understand how this type of mistake can happen, considering that with most Porsche dealerships they let you test drive the car for such a brief time, generally just around the block.
I'm torn between getting a manual trans or the PDK and I just can't properly evaluate them with a quick test drive around the block. I would need at least a half day to properly evaluate whether I like or dislike the PDK transmission. Driven manuals all my life.
I found a company that rents out Porsche cars so that is an option to test out certain features but it ain't cheap. A 991S PDK costs around $600/day to rent with 100 miles before they charge you by the mile.
Now regarding your comments about the sounds of the 991S engine and with the PSE, I completely disagree with you.
I feel that the engine note of a proper sports car should be loud, and noticeable, that's what a sports car is all about.
Every proper sports car has an aggressive exhaust note, or else they are luxury cars.
If you want quiet then get yourself a BMW or Lexus with lots of power.
I test drove a 911 turbo PDK and loved the brutal acceleration, however it was way, way too quiet for me, and did not sound like a sports car at all, so you might like it.
Porsche needs to do a lot of work on the Turbo to make it sound more sporty. I understand the turbos quiet down the exhaust but it can be done.
So you don't make the same costly mistake again I recommend you find yourself an exotic car rental place so you can take one out for a day to see if you like it, and would want to live with it.
Good Luck.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where the drama is in the 911. I'm sure it's been said but now but if you want low end torque with luxury consider a BMW M car or an Merc AMG. Or even Audi since it sounds like you're a loyal fan.
Probably a repost of what someone else has said
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Pitty.
I understand how this type of mistake can happen, considering that with most Porsche dealerships they let you test drive the car for such a brief time, generally just around the block.
I'm torn between getting a manual trans or the PDK and I just can't properly evaluate them with a quick test drive around the block. I would need at least a half day to properly evaluate whether I like or dislike the PDK transmission. Driven manuals all my life.
I found a company that rents out Porsche cars so that is an option to test out certain features but it ain't cheap. A 991S PDK costs around $600/day to rent with 100 miles before they charge you by the mile.
Now regarding your comments about the sounds of the 991S engine and with the PSE, I completely disagree with you.
I feel that the engine note of a proper sports car should be loud, and noticeable, that's what a sports car is all about.
Every proper sports car has an aggressive exhaust note, or else they are luxury cars.
If you want quiet then get yourself a BMW or Lexus with lots of power.
I test drove a 911 turbo PDK and loved the brutal acceleration, however it was way, way too quiet for me, and did not sound like a sports car at all, so you might like it.
Porsche needs to do a lot of work on the Turbo to make it sound more sporty. I understand the turbos quiet down the exhaust but it can be done.
So you don't make the same costly mistake again I recommend you find yourself an exotic car rental place so you can take one out for a day to see if you like it, and would want to live with it.
Good Luck.
Maverick 1:

I do agree that the rental route is a very good idea if I cannot get an adequate demo ride. I plan offering a lunch at a restaurant to the sales person or better yet sales manager, a few towns away to get to "live" with the car for a bit if I can't get a few hours on my own. I understand that getting an afternoon or over night is not real likely but still if the question is not asked the answer is no, but I will try and persuade them. It would be of course on my insurance and I do not need to run the car at my personal limits, just as I would use it on a daily basis. Again, this is a long shot at best and it may involve multiple dealers I have developed business relationships with in the past few years.

Both of us have driven manuals for a very long time, me exclusively until the 991 C4S. I was sold on the PDK at first drive 2 years ago when the 991 CS came out and then again of a couple other drives in Porsches with them. For me the choice was easy and there are no regrets however it must have the Sport Design wheel and flappy paddles rather than the thumb clackers. I want the "conventional" paddle set up as I know others in the future will be the same (right paddle upshift, left paddle downshift). I tried the other and for me it was awkward, but others prefer it and the other functions available with that wheel so I can understand it's appeal.

I appreciate your taking the time to post your thoughts.

Have a great weekend and be safe.
Patty
Old 01-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get an RS7 and call it a day... probably somebody suggested it already.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:20 AM
m33porsche
Intermediate

That did occur to me but if it drives as most RS Audis do then I think we'd be hearing complaints of it's totally numb and handles like a boat. Best bet for the OP IMO is a less focused, perhaps more GT biased, sports car. I know, what about a 991 tt..

m33
Old 01-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Veyron is the way to go for her. Big W12, 4 turbos, luxury interior, etc. no brainier really.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S:

Originally Posted by MacAna
Have to agree… I can't see any reason why some need to attack the OP - even if this was a fake thread and the OP was a troll, some people allow themselves to get too worked up.

As for the merits of the post itself, hey, people make mistakes, it takes ***** (sic) to own up to the mistake and pay your school fees as the OP clearly has!

Personally, I'm too **** and pedantic, it took me about 2 years to eventually buy my car. Started out looking at a used 997, then almost bought a 997GTS and then eventually bought the 991S - and I'm so glad I waited and considered my decision! One of the best purchases I've ever made - and I've also made my share of mistakes in this regard.

Good luck to you Patty
MacAna:

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. New year, new car shopping safari. There are a great deal of dealers in my state and I think I mentioned that there are a few other states that have dealers readily willing to work on prices. Just a matter of time to figure out which way to go.

Thanks again and enjoy the weekend
Patty
Old 01-04-2014, 04:22 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Thanks. It's a manual, fer sure! As long as I can still bend my left leg, that's going to be my transmission of choice. I had the PDK in my Panamera S, and it is a wonder of technology, but also ended being the primary reason that I got rid of the car.
MBird993:

I understand about the manual transmission preference. I have had several S4's all were manual. It was not till I actually tried the PDK that I was swayed. That and knees that have taken a beating with the years. Heavy rush hour traffic driving is improved for me anyway and the actual gear changes are lightning quick. But I do know where you are coming from about the manuals.

Be safe and enjoy the weekend.
Patty
Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Get an RS7 and call it a day... probably somebody suggested it already.
We would go the route of an RS6 Avant if Audi would just offer it. It would solve the long distance driving car need and most other needs but a 991 TT would fit in well as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle. We tried the S6 a short while after getting the C4S and it was interesting but not quite enough to spur a purchase. Also tried a A6 TDI and enjoyed the low end thrust it had. If it was in a wagon it would be in the driveway today or on order instead of the other daily driver Avant we got upon the sale of the C4S. For some reason the looks of the RS7 don't resonate but I do realize it is an RS6 in fast back form. Pretty much the same car to the b pillar as the RS6. The extra room afforded by the wagon proves very useful through out the year and on long xc trips.

Be safe and have a great weekend
Patty
Old 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by m33porsche
That did occur to me but if it drives as most RS Audis do then I think we'd be hearing complaints of it's totally numb and handles like a boat. Best bet for the OP IMO is a less focused, perhaps more GT biased, sports car. I know, what about a 991 tt..

m33
m33porsche:

The Audi would fit a need and as you rightly observe more GT oriented. Not a bad thing for the epic journey trips that happen a few times a year. I think your last sentence has it though. Time will tell.

Thanks again and have a great day
Patty
Old 01-04-2014, 04:39 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by 008
Veyron is the way to go for her. Big W12, 4 turbos, luxury interior, etc. no brainier really.
008:

I guess I would know I have arrived if the Veyron was a candidate for a daily driver. That would really be something, wouldn't it

Be safe and take the time to enjoy the day
Patty

Quick Reply: Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?