Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual tranny noise engaging gears--your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:12 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default manual tranny noise engaging gears--your thoughts?

I tried searching for a similar thread across RL and didn't quite find the same issue so here goes:

I have noticed over the past 9 months of driving my c2s mt (my13 with about 3k miles) that there is a perceptible but soft thud from the transmission in the engine area as I shift into first gear from a full stop. Doesn't happen every time (1 out of 3 or 4 times), but when it does, it occurs as the shift is being made while the clutch is released (pedal fully down) and the vehicle is at a full stop.

Also, when up or down shifting in gears 1 to 3 in a broad range of rpms (2 to 5k), I notice this same subtle thud sound just as I engage the clutch. You will have to take my word for it, but the revs are generally well-matched and the vehicle DOES NOT shudder or lurch during the shift--absolutely smooth feeling. Except for this soft thud at the time of the clutch re-engaging (happens just as i am lifting up the clutch in the usual manner), i wouldn't think anything is "wrong" with the shifting process or the transmission.

At first I thought it might be my clutch action, so I've been playing around with technique...but only by slowly feathering the clutch (much, much slower than usual, to the point of a bit of clutch slip) can I get it to subside. Also note there is no difficulty shifting with light touch, nor is there any grinding of gears at any point.

So, in your opinion, is this a normal or abnormal sound for a 911 gearbox? Is it a mechanical concern like an engine or tranny mount, cv joint? Or is it a technique problem that needs coaching? Other? thanks for your input in advance.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've also heard that shifting into first sometimes my friend. I've asked but seems its normal or just a characteristic of the setup.

sent with iOS using Rennlist
Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In my various Porsche ownership history, I've heard lots of strange noises, and I suspect that your complaints are "normal". I seem to recall similar noises out of a few cars myself. I wouldn't worry about it - just mention it to the dealer the next time that you bring it in for service so that you have a written record of it. That way if something falls out years later, you'll have documentation to back up a warranty claim.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a flat yesterday, took the car into the dealer, so I'll have them troubleshoot. Hope you guys are right... Any other input appreciated RListers!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
Had a flat yesterday, took the car into the dealer, so I'll have them troubleshoot. Hope you guys are right... Any other input appreciated RListers!
Any follow up on your 7 speed transmission issue?

Saludos,
Eduardo

Quick Reply: manual tranny noise engaging gears--your thoughts?