Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My suspicion is that the OP likes the attention.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:11 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up C4S...

QUOTE=Bacura;11017706]And I hope you don't need my services either because you would also be needing emergency medical services, except I just don't do transport. Still, imho the most useless thread of the year award. 7% by posts/.5% by volume....0% in the future..../shrug[/QUOTE]

So sad to see you go...
You should be so proud to have been such a big part of it...

Be safe
Patty
Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default C4S...

Originally Posted by tangram
My suspicion is that the OP likes the attention.
Naah, I just didn't care for the car. Don't understand why you feel the need to interject your "suspicions" when the topic is an owners thoughts on selling a car after a very short period of time.

However, I surely do wish you a Happy New Year!
Be safe
Patty
Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Did you entertain an engine tune/remap because that can redistribute power to the lower end if that's what you're looking for. Or maybe the powerkit (if it can be retrofitted?) I have a friend who's having buyers remorse over the new M6 and he's thinking of dumping it and eating the loss. ****ty feeling
Old 01-01-2014, 08:04 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default C4S...

Originally Posted by 991999R
Did you entertain an engine tune/remap because that can redistribute power to the lower end if that's what you're looking for. Or maybe the powerkit (if it can be retrofitted?) I have a friend who's having buyers remorse over the new M6 and he's thinking of dumping it and eating the loss. ****ty feeling
991999R:
Understanding that disconcerting feeling but the upside (in a glass half full way) is starting looking again in a few months. If your friend is dead set on moving on, it would be a good time to trade if he is in a place where the sales tax can be washed. I did so partially as we needed an all weather wagon, so that was some help.

I didn't entertain the tune from the poinst of view of the degree of change needed and a tune (if available, not even sure about that) as the probable warranty hassles should work be needed and loss of resale value. To me it would not be acceptable to have a sophisticated automobile without it. The power kit does add power for sure and the PSE and SC packages were in place already but again the power really makes itself known in the higher RPM region rather than down low.

Thank you for your thoughts and have fine evening.
Be safe
Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 01-02-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
IMO, if OP is a guy, there will not be so much flak.
Oh come on. It is because the OP is a woman that I am respectfully silent in this thread !
Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
I think the amount of comments and degree of judgement has more to do with the perception that the OP showed very little of the skill and prowess that she needed to earn the money to be able to purchase such a car when she actually did the buying.
Exactly ! This was what was on my mind, but I did not write !
I'd venture a guess she is either a very young lady that ran into a boatload of money "by accident", or she isn't even of legal age to drive a car and she is just blowing hot air !

Offcourse I could be horribly wrong too ! But then again, I can easily change my opinion on this one without loosing tenthousands of dollars! So no harm done ;-)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there pictures to corroborate this story?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

After reading two pages of this, I'm not going to go through 6 more pages of hate directed to the OP. Some of you guys are way too harsh, IMHO.

Patty, thanks for sharing your experience. I've BTDT with cars - maybe not as quickly as you but I think anyone who is an enthusiast has, at one point or another, had a bit of buyer's remorse. Some of us like to be rid of the remorse as quickly as possible, and others can deal with it for longer. I bought a 997 that I kept for only 5 months. It just wasn't for me. My last M5 was good for about two weeks before it was history. It happens.

I'm thinking of buying a 991, but so far the car hasn't stirred me enough to actually put my name on the dotted line. Insights like yours help folks like me to look out for possible pitfalls as I continue to consider it.

Best,
Michael
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

I always find it interesting when someone posts something contrary to the usual threads. How dare someone post a consenting opinion about my dear car reminds me a bit of Suzi changing her mind over and over about her Audis and Porsches. And I applaud them for sticking around and defending their position.
I share many of Patty's comments and have been guilty of impulse purchases myself; however, feeling the guilt and not wanting to admit my blunder, I choose to wait a year or so to take the maximum hit on depreciation.
I got my '12 CS as a daily driver and enjoy it more as my weekend 'sports car'. On a daily basis it's fine but it does lack low end torque just putting around and the PDK normal mode shifts too soon. I can be in 5th gear doing 35 mph before I even get out of my neighborhood. I got a cayenne diesel as my new DD and love it- the perfect compliment to the 991, I think. I leave my golf clubs and gym bag in back, love the torque and mpg's.
Then when I hop in the 991 it's a treat and I shift it myself, wind it out and think what an absolutely amazing car !!!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:47 AM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default C4S...

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Are there pictures to corroborate this story?

Here you go.

Be safe
Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 01-03-2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add pix
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Solid thread, would read again. B+.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:58 AM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by bccars
Exactly ! This was what was on my mind, but I did not write !
I'd venture a guess she is either a very young lady that ran into a boatload of money "by accident", or she isn't even of legal age to drive a car and she is just blowing hot air !

Offcourse I could be horribly wrong too ! But then again, I can easily change my opinion on this one without loosing tenthousands of dollars! So no harm done ;-)
I wouldn't say you were horribly wrong and I wish I was still "very young". Old enough to be retired early (but not by my choice though, unfortunately :-( )

The lesson didn't have a $10k price of admission but lesson learned...

Be safe and enjoy the day
Patty
Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by Carcam
I always find it interesting when someone posts something contrary to the usual threads. How dare someone post a consenting opinion about my dear car reminds me a bit of Suzi changing her mind over and over about her Audis and Porsches. And I applaud them for sticking around and defending their position.
I share many of Patty's comments and have been guilty of impulse purchases myself; however, feeling the guilt and not wanting to admit my blunder, I choose to wait a year or so to take the maximum hit on depreciation.
I got my '12 CS as a daily driver and enjoy it more as my weekend 'sports car'. On a daily basis it's fine but it does lack low end torque just putting around and the PDK normal mode shifts too soon. I can be in 5th gear doing 35 mph before I even get out of my neighborhood. I got a cayenne diesel as my new DD and love it- the perfect compliment to the 991, I think. I leave my golf clubs and gym bag in back, love the torque and mpg's.
Then when I hop in the 991 it's a treat and I shift it myself, wind it out and think what an absolutely amazing car !!!
Carcam:
Thanks for the post. I mostly ended up putting mine in sport to try and ameliorate the problem as I perceived it, but having to keep the revs higher was not a good solution for me. I mean, yes it is definitely quicker once it is "on the cam" (as much as VVT, digital engine controls and direct injection helps there isn't enough electronic magic yet to have both worlds) but in day to day use it was rather frenetic, rather like a cat after a coffee enema as I would imagine...

Be safe and have a fine day
Patty
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by MJBird993
After reading two pages of this, I'm not going to go through 6 more pages of hate directed to the OP. Some of you guys are way too harsh, IMHO.

Patty, thanks for sharing your experience. I've BTDT with cars - maybe not as quickly as you but I think anyone who is an enthusiast has, at one point or another, had a bit of buyer's remorse. Some of us like to be rid of the remorse as quickly as possible, and others can deal with it for longer. I bought a 997 that I kept for only 5 months. It just wasn't for me. My last M5 was good for about two weeks before it was history. It happens.

I'm thinking of buying a 991, but so far the car hasn't stirred me enough to actually put my name on the dotted line. Insights like yours help folks like me to look out for possible pitfalls as I continue to consider it.

Best,
Michael
Michael:

Thanks for taking the time to post. Exactly the potential 991 owner I would hope reads this. The 991 C4S IS a really fine automobile. It is a great fit for the buyer that enjoys winding it out and enjoying the symphony that the flat 6 provides. Much like the S5 you have there (beautiful color, S-tronic or Manual?) which also has a wonderful sound and driving experience. We love Audi's as well having had 13 in the past and now with the post 991 (partial dealer trade) Audi, that makes 14.

I could liken the driving experience to the difference between S5 and S4 Audis. The NA V8 vs Supercharged V6. Both extremely nice (especially the shape of the S5) and we have owned several S4 's in the past, Avant and Sedan. I mentioned previously that we would buy, today, a RS6 Avant for our long distance car. Still, the 991 Turbo would have a home too though.

Happy hunting and enjoy the day. Give that S5 a little goose of the gas for me if the mood strikes you. That is an intoxicating sound indeed.

Be safe
Patty

Quick Reply: Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?