Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:22 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?

I traded my 2013 C4S PDK in 1 tank of gas! Talk about a splurge purchase.

Lovely as it was it was not the right car. Certainly not bad in any sense but I didn't order it. I bought it with a bit more than 1600 miles on it and sold it with under with less than 2000!

After a test drive (not nearly my first 991 Carrera S or C4S experience either) the sales associate asked "so what do you think? Do you want to buy it?" I said: "Yeah Yeah, Sure, Sure" and that was that after a bit of negotiating.

Random reflective rumination and observations:

As it was a car on the dealers lot, it had an array of options I would ordinarily not consider (PDCC, 18 way seats, Sunroof, Sport Design Wheels, PSE...). The perceived "value" at the time of purchase was decent (MSRP was $131k+).

I don't think I would call it buyers remorse, but I would not have done it all over again. I would and will go for a low mile 991TT in some months hence.

I bought a Silver car when looking at White, Grey and Blue.

While the 991 C4S is certainly not a dog in any sense of the word, it did rather quickly seemed to often feel a bit flat footed. The comparative paucity of torque was quickly evident in daily driving to me. The frenetic acceleration was there for certain and the car was the right "size" for my needs, fit and finish was excellent but still, something basic was not right with the overall performance equation. The dearth of grunt is the key, for me at least.

The car seemed to love the "drama" of revving out to scoot, not a bad thing, but just not quite right for my disposition. Both my girlfriend and I both prefer a relatively drama free world and this also carries over to things automotive. Small doses for frenetic activity on a road course or in rally mode on gravel or tarmac is fine but again in measured doses. For a day to day driver, this doesn't work in our situation.

When doing a demo, insist on a longer drive or better yet, several. If you are lucky enough to have the ability to live with one for a day or few hours before purchase, DO SO! I could have learned and saved myself the whole process in an afternoons worth driving. Next time I will do so.

Also hold to your color choice(s) and option necessities. The silver was beautiful but again not on my radar to begin with and therefore not really special to me, could have stopped right there. Same for the 18 way seats. Really do not like them at all. The 20" Sport Design Wheels, much too busy looking. I would have preferred the Sport techno wheels. PDCC was noticeable and a worthwhile option but not a deal breaker. Still do not want a sunroof. PSE was definitely, as I thought beforehand, not only not needed but not wanted. No appreciable performance gain just a noisy party trick. The engine sound is massively apparent with out it. Same for the Turbo's sound.

The lighting package, keyless entry, heated and ventilated seats are nice luxury touches that are deal breakers if not installed.

I guess what I am saying is the 991TT is the better fit for me. No drama sound wise, lots of urge torque wise. An understated and quiet bad *** sort of automobile.

I have "built" a base 991 TT and the difference between my the very recently acquired and more recently disposed of, reasonably well equipped 991 C4S (stickered at $131k+) was to me narrow at less than a $30k delta.

I too am wanting a 991TT but will wait a bit on the market settling and I too can see a bit of softness in sales as others noted but yet there is also a tightness in the supply as they are doled out sparingly as production ramps up and dealers try to keep pricing up for as long as possible.

My 991 will come. Just in a little while longer. Having owned a great many autos, especially in the past 23 years, this was only eclipsed by beaters from my mid teens in terms of length of ownership.

While I would not think of this purchase as a train wreck, perhaps it may serve as a cautionary tale, a teachable moment for another buyer on the razor like fence. Just my much more than $.02 of experience.

Be safe and an early Happy New Years 2014 to all
Patty
Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..................shoulda got a MT.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:57 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

MerlinsGarage - I have been a manual transmission gal forever but the PDK is the way to go for me. YMMV.

Be safe
Patty
Old 12-27-2013, 03:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm sorry to tell you this,but your " move " was just dumb.
You're not really complaining about anything that makes sense. Read this guy's thread,you 2 match perfectly :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7300...the-991-a.html

His problem was the 991 is too big
Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dumb is harsh. Tbh I almost smell a troll but I'm not sure. Trading back a 991 after 1 tank of gas is suspicious. A C4S is a mighty fast car. What did you drive before that you need a TT to satisfy your torque needs? A vette?R8?Gallardo?458?Vanquish? If you drove any other "normal" car then I am confused. I am used to very fast cars and I drive a non-TT 991. I find the power intoxicating. Yes a TT has huge torque but seriously............
Old 12-27-2013, 03:30 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by achildofthesky
MerlinsGarage - I have been a manual transmission gal forever but the PDK is the way to go for me. YMMV.

Be safe
Patty
Gotta notice the wink ma'am................
Old 12-27-2013, 03:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

If you like low end grunt, which it sounds like you do, you will not love any turbocharged, smaller displacement car, like the 991 Turbo will be. Like the normally aspirated 991, the Turbo tends to deliver thrills at higher RPMs as the engine and turbos come to life.

Also, if you think the 20" wheels look "busy", wait until you see all the scoops, fins and tails that adorn the Turbo. If you like clean lines on a car, the Turbo will disappoint.

It sounds to me like you want a beautiful car with great low end pull. That doesn't sound like a 991 Turbo to me. What it sounds like will satisfy those requirements is a large displacement normally aspirated engined gorgeous car with understated sounds, with ample luxury and style.

For the same money, I suggest you sample a V-12 engined Aston Martin before making another impulse decision. Almost all the performance of a 991 Turbo, but much better looking, much better low end torque and overall linear power delivery, with all the right luxury and engine sounds
Old 12-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

..........or a new Vette?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:36 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

neanicu:

Thanks for your input. I don't really see my comments as complaints but if you see it that way that is what counts for you. I prefer to make change when needed and move on. In this case I settled rather than have something I really DESIRED for the long term.

Be safe
Patty
Old 12-27-2013, 03:44 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default 991C4S...

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Gotta notice the wink ma'am................
I did indeed see the emoticon. Just chose to answer you directly and certainly did not take any offense and knew what you meant. Until I drove a PDK I would have never thought there was another way. I proved myself wrong.

Be safe and have a fine weekend
Patty
Old 12-27-2013, 03:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Patty,maybe I was harsh and I apologize,but I still think your decision was unfortunate and as Bacura pointed out,your thread might be viewed as trolling...
Anyway,I hope you'll move to something to your liking and enjoy...
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Some village is missing it's _______ - well you fill in the blank!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

neanicu:

No problem at all. I did not post with the idea to inflame or slag the 991 but to inform of my opinions and observations. I reckoned my observations and experiences may perhaps help another on the edge of purchase to do that last test drive and really ask themselves the hard truth question of whether this is what I really desire or am I perhaps settling.

I did love the car in most respects save for the lower end (2000-4000k rpm) torque and a couple of optional details. The fit and finish is very nice indeed.

Be safe and hope you have a fine weekend
Patty
Old 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 400 Posts

if this is true, wouldn't you have been better off to keep the 991 in the garage until you found the used turbo and traded your 991 to avoid the sales tax on the turbo? I do realize different states have different rules for taxes on used cars and trade ins but I would think it would have been better to park it and wait, or use it sparingly.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

The depreciation hit would have exceeded the tax benefit in just waiting regardless of the miles added though some of the sales tax was recaptured in getting my gf a daily driver (yet another Audi, 14th for us) for the milk run to work and such. Excellent point though Turbodan.

Be safe
Patty

Quick Reply: Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?