Sponsored by:

Saw my first C7 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by handful
You got off easy....We had to get new bathrooms and hallway cabinets.....
Mine cost me a new kitchen...
Old 11-21-2013, 09:07 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Those quad exhaust tips look ridiculous.
Agreed. I think with all the focus on the tail lights, which although not my preferred look, the grossly overdone look of the 4 trumpet exhausts has been ignored.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 PM
new GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer told me that someone should open a kitchen cabinet store next door to his place, because almost every time he sells a car someone sells a new kitchen. Also I saw a C7 today for the first time on the road; my Mother always told me if you can't say anything nice don't say anything...
Old 11-21-2013, 10:05 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Decepticons assemble!

The rear looks like he stare of an angry Robot.

That's a lot of painted plastic. Shiny black plastic. Red painted plastic. Just Plastic.

Wait, ah, maybe that's the reason for the ridiculous quad exhaust! The exhaust tips are the ONLY non-plastic surfaces visible on the rear end so there has to be a lot of them to balance out all of the plastic.

They're the "token" metal surface.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:44 PM
rocklegend
Advanced

Porsche guys against Vette guys the classic battle. The C7 was named 2014 COTY by automobile magazine. It's a winner maybe not in the face of die hard 911 enthusiasts but in the eye of the general public it will turn heads over a 991 any day.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rocklegend
Porsche guys against Vette guys the classic battle. The C7 was named 2014 COTY by automobile magazine. It's a winner maybe not in the face of die hard 911 enthusiasts but in the eye of the general public it will turn heads over a 991 any day.
Read the current issue of Motor Trend - they picked the 911 over the C7 as the top driver's car. Ferrari F12 came in 3rd......
Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

The C7 was named 2014 COTY by automobile magazine. It's a winner maybe not in the face of die hard 911 enthusiasts but in the eye of the general public it will turn heads over a 991 any day.
Yes but never forget it was the general public who got us the C7 in the first place, when they decided we all had to stop spanking and start praising the fridge scribbler.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yes but never forget it was the general public who got us the C7 in the first place, when they decided we all had to stop spanking and start praising the fridge scribbler.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! and more to the point, let's not forget that 10th place is also rewarded with a trophy. When my son came home with a trophy after his grade school soccer team came in last, we had had a long coversation about fiction vs. reality.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:49 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The racing yellow C2S pictured above attracted quite a few folks that were present at the tuning of the C7. The owner of the C7 commented that the fit and finish and quality of materials of his brand new C7 was average. Then he asked if he could sit in my car. R&T stated that the C7 closed the gap in terms of fit and finish. Based on what we both saw that assertion is false.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

It'll turn heads no doubt - screaming look at me, look at me, I have no taste to speak of, but look at me anyway dammit! If that doesn't do it, fill it with furry dice,get a low-rider "bounce" suspension, and five or six gold teeth and try again. It's easy to turn heads man. I mean a 500 lb woman in micro-mini skirt will turn a lot of heads too
Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
. I mean a 500 lb woman in micro-mini skirt will turn a lot of heads too
They are all mini skirts on a 500 pound women.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:52 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
It'll turn heads no doubt - screaming look at me, look at me, I have no taste to speak of, but look at me anyway dammit! If that doesn't do it, fill it with furry dice,get a low-rider "bounce" suspension, and five or six gold teeth and try again. It's easy to turn heads man. I mean a 500 lb woman in micro-mini skirt will turn a lot of heads too
Its the reason the C7 and so many other lesser cars have designs with lots of extra angles, planes and edges: edges attract attention. Edges are exciting. The eye is drawn to them.

Look at the rear of the C7 above. Just one brake light has 12 edges, plus 6 more for the big black goofy looking frame around them, plus 5 more for whatever they call the horizontal dealie bobbers just outboard of each light. That's 23 edges! And they are all raised, up and down, a miss-mash of contours that serves no aerodynamic or aesthetic purpose. They do however serve the purpose of distracting the first time viewer, giving him so much to see it creates the illusion of complexity enough to keep the mind busy long enough to not have time to think about what a mess it really is.

Problem is, this works about one time, after which people lose interest. They will say it is dated or whatever. In reality it was dated costume jewelry from conception.

Now for contrast consider the 991 brake light. Two edges- one nearly straight arc across the top joined by a more curved one below. The top edge is framed by the natural edge of the rear lid, fender and bumper. Not an edge really but we will go ahead and count it. Below is what Porsche calls the precision edge, where they curve the body panel just sharply enough to create the appearance of an edge. We'll count that one as well. That's 4 edges. All of which by the way sit flush, or nearly so, with the body.

We're talking one tiny little brake light and already its clear the C7 is a crime in design. Honestly, it makes my eyes ache. No, more of a stabbing pain. Like being caught in the shower at the Bates Motel only Norman's going at your skull with an ice pick.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:32 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Agree with you 100% on every word. The GM "designers" must have all just been trained on how to use their kindergarten issue straightedge or something prior to coming up with this abomination. If some people like it, good for them. Seeing something like the C7 makes me appreciate even more every gentle curve on my 991.

Originally Posted by chuck911
We're talking one tiny little brake light and already its clear the C7 is a crime in design. Honestly, it makes my eyes ache. No, more of a stabbing pain. Like being caught in the shower at the Bates Motel only Norman's going at your skull with an ice pick.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So Chuck...is it fair to say the C7 is "edgy?"
Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hammer911
So Chuck...is it fair to say the C7 is "edgy?"
Well it certainly puts me on edge.