Sponsored by:

Saw my first C7 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Ugly to whom? you. Ugly to others? perhaps some and not so to others. Psssst, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I dunno. I like Vettes (and have owned them in the past), and I like almost everything I've heard and read about the C7, so far. But that rear-end treatment (courtesy of the A-list design talent that brought us the Pontiac Aztek) is objectively indefensible.

911s are perhaps the slowest-changing sports cars around, but Corvettes would be a good candidate for second place. GM has been going 5-10 years between design refreshes lately. That means that we're going to be stuck looking at those rear ends for a LONG time... long after the high-school kids who think it's "cool" have grown up, graduated from college, and cultivated some taste. I really wish they had come to their senses before signing off on those drawings.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"Smart" phones don't lend themselves to these tasks.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:48 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

911s are perhaps the slowest-changing sports cars around, but Corvettes would be a good candidate for second place.
Noah, I really think you should review Corvette and 911 designs over the years. I don't see how anyone who does this can conclude anything other than that Porsche has developed the 911 while GM has tried repeatedly to reinvent the Corvette. This is evident not only in the body that Corvette has made complete and wholesale changes to multiple times, but runs right through to the engineering. Early Corvettes had solid rear axles- a technology archaic even at the moment of launching this "new" car. Porsche never going back even to the VW made a car so far behind the times! Corvette also has changed materials, from sheet metal to fiberglass to back to sheet metal.

In one sense though the Corvette has never changed. It has always been a car that tried to accomplish with tires and displacement what it never could with engineering and handling. You almost have to admire the way the car thumbs its nose at those who strive to do it right.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You don't have to..... there are plenty over there already. Just venture on over and observe for yourself if you don't believe me. Just do a search for the names "Guibo" and "Notch". They are the resident Porsche nutswingers over there.
Kick them out ! They have no business there !

I firmly believe when you subscribe to a forum you should at least respect "the topic/content" (don't know how exactly to describe it) and the resident members. If you don't, you are probably just trolling.

I will never ever talk garbage in a C7 forum about the C7 or its owners !

Can't guarantee I won't do it in this forum though ;-)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can like your 911 and others can like their Corvettes. Then there are those of us that aren't badge ****** or snobs and just like cool cars for what they are.
Different opinions should be encouraged in this forum but there is no place for classless name calling. I would prefer if Amerlemans would have stuck to his guns and tried to convince us that the C7 is the better value and that it has an attractive rear end. It was clearly easier to call us badge ******....
Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it!

Corvette trolls are perfect ambassadors for that car ...I know, I owned a coupe and a Z06 before I knew any better.

They do more to highlight the negatives of the Corvette brand then any amount of GM advertising could ever overcome.

Keep posting, boys ...show the world what type of person wants to drive a Corvette!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:23 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's nice that there is at least 1 thread where the PDK and MT people can come together.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but my dad is a GM retiree. This is why I have the Silverado, and my wife has the Camaro.

Every time I see 1, I am so glad I didn't buy that God-awful Corvette. I'll take the heat from my dad.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Noah, I really think you should review Corvette and 911 designs over the years. I don't see how anyone who does this can conclude anything other than that Porsche has developed the 911 while GM has tried repeatedly to reinvent the Corvette. This is evident not only in the body that Corvette has made complete and wholesale changes to multiple times, but runs right through to the engineering. Early Corvettes had solid rear axles- a technology archaic even at the moment of launching this "new" car. Porsche never going back even to the VW made a car so far behind the times! Corvette also has changed materials, from sheet metal to fiberglass to back to sheet metal.
True enough, but I'm specifically talking about the body. GM does not refresh the Corvette body very often, apart from minor changes -- another scoop here, a width increase there. The C5 was around for 7 years, the C6 for 8. The C7 can be expected to last about as long. That calls for a conservative approach in the basic design language. Sleek but not radical. Miata, not Mondrian. Something that will stand the test of time, meaning something the mid-life refresh designers can build on. Can you imagine adding even more gimmicks and gewgaws to that body?

In one sense though the Corvette has never changed. It has always been a car that tried to accomplish with tires and displacement what it never could with engineering and handling. You almost have to admire the way the car thumbs its nose at those who strive to do it right.
In before the Corvette cheering section brings up their definition of the Porsche 911: "The triumph of engineering over design." Trouble is, the rocks they're throwing look like they came out of a 25 cent gumball machine.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:26 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I love it!

Corvette trolls are perfect ambassadors for that car ...I know, I owned a coupe and a Z06 before I knew any better.

They do more to highlight the negatives of the Corvette brand then any amount of GM advertising could ever overcome.

Keep posting, boys ...show the world what type of person wants to drive a Corvette!
Yes, exactly. What he said.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mi650
It's nice that there is at least 1 thread where the PDK and MT people can come together.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but my dad is a GM retiree. This is why I have the Silverado, and my wife has the Camaro.

Every time I see 1, I am so glad I didn't buy that God-awful Corvette. I'll take the heat from my dad.
Name:  Rs5EjsD.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  52.0 KB
Old 11-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Literally laughed out loud at this....
Old 11-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by rocklegend
Just wait till the Z06 comes out next year. The Z06 will destroy the competition including the Porsche 911 Turbo, Nissan GT-R around Laguna Seca. I know you guys don't care about lap times, just how it drives. But that statement is just said because the Porsche is slower but I bet if the Porsche was quicker than the Z06, everyone would be saying look how fast it is.
I doubt the Z06 will destroy a 911 GT3 or 911 GT3RS
Old 11-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I am American, so I've seen the average American at work many times. I've seen many American companies at work as well.

From owning a crappy Mustang back in the 80s to more recently reading the papers during the GM/Chrysler bankruptcies, I've also have seen how the American auto industry makes things and has treated it's customers over the past 30 or so years.

From all that I've learned and experienced from the American auto industry, I could never have any faith in any American auto product.

The C7 might be the best they can do. But they've been making the best they can do for a long time, and it was just never as good as the Europeans in the long run.

Performance numbers are one thing. Making a quality product that lasts for several years without breaking down or falling apart is quite another.
So you're basing your assessment on american vehicles from your experience over 25 years ago? A bit dated don't you think? Sorry to say but in today's world - a lot of high performance American muscle can run circles around your German love. As for quality - i've seen a lot of modern American muscle with great build qualiity The days you're talking about are over i'm afraid.

Oh I almost forgot, think a few in this thread might like to write a poem here lol... https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-porsche.html
Old 11-29-2013, 03:22 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Oh man this thread is seriously off in the weeds and getting wackier by the day And here I am again contributing to more wackiness - can't help myself on this one.

Which American muscle cars are you speaking of? I'm really curious I must say. And by "circles", I'm sure you actually meant to say straight as a razor roads with no twists and turns of any significance.

I've yet to see a modern American production vehicle with great build quality - perhaps maybe Tesla will get there first, but the jury is still out there. Certainly not anything from the "big" three in my lifetime. And quality/build issues are just one issue they're facing - engineering/technical aspects is another. Since this a C7 thread, let's use engine technology as a point of comparison between that archaic neanderthal versus our "German Love" :

-> Corvette : 6.2L V8 engine - suitable for powering a tractor sized vehicle. 460 bhp/460 lb-ft torque.

bhp : 71.2 bhp/liter
torque: 71.2 lb-ft/liter

-> 991 turbo S : 3.8L 6 cylinder. 560 bhp/553 ft-lb torque.

bhp : 147.4 bhp/liter
torque : 145.5 lb-ft/liter

So our "German Love" has a powerplant that produces more than 2x the bhp and torque per liter than the C7 - the "darling" of Chevy. Man, the C7 is a sled right out of the dark ages.

And I picked the turbo S on purpose, as an example of the bhp/torque that can be extracted out of that 3.8L engine platform. If Corvette had offered a more powerful engine for that vehicle, I would have done the same for it. They don't, likely because it would be such a massive engine you'd need your own zip code as you drove down the road.

Originally Posted by Para82
Sorry to say but in today's world - a lot of high performance American muscle can run circles around your German love. As for quality - i've seen a lot of modern American muscle with great build qualiity The days you're talking about are over i'm afraid.
l[/url]

Last edited by CaliforniaZombie; 11-29-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:42 PM
rocklegend
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
Oh man this thread is seriously off in the weeds and getting wackier by the day And here I am again contributing to more wackiness - can't help myself on this one.

Which American muscle cars are you speaking of? I'm really curious I must say. And by "circles", I'm sure you actually meant to say straight as a razor roads with no twists and turns of any significance.

I've yet to see a modern American production vehicle with great build quality - perhaps maybe Tesla will get there first, but the jury is still out there. Certainly not anything from the "big" three in my lifetime. And quality/build issues are just one issue they're facing - engineering/technical aspects is another. Since this a C7 thread, let's use engine technology as a point of comparison between that archaic neanderthal versus our "German Love" :

-> Corvette : 6.2L V8 engine - suitable for powering a tractor sized vehicle. 460 bhp/460 lb-ft torque.

bhp : 71.2 bhp/liter
torque: 71.2 lb-ft/liter

-> 991 turbo S : 3.8L 6 cylinder. 560 bhp/553 ft-lb torque.

bhp : 147.4 bhp/liter
torque : 145.5 lb-ft/liter

So our "German Love" has a powerplant that produces more than 2x the bhp and torque per liter than the C7 - the "darling" of Chevy. Man, the C7 is a sled right out of the dark ages.

And I picked the turbo S on purpose, as an example of the bhp/torque that can be extracted out of that 3.8L engine platform. If Corvette had offered a more powerful engine for that vehicle, I would have done the same for it. They don't, likely because it would be such a massive engine you'd need your own zip code as you drove down the road.
When did bhp and torque per liter mean anything? It's funny when the c7 Z06 comes out beating the turbo s around the Nurburgring, Porsche will be looking at those ugly taillights from a Camaro.

Quick Reply: Saw my first C7 today