Sponsored by:

Saw my first C7 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Interesting that when Top Gear has something negative to say about the 911, everyone says that the show is just for entertainment and can't be taken seriously. Then when they say something negative about the Corvette, their comments are considered to be spot on. Funny how that works.
Mmmmm you are right on this one !

But still, 911 rulez and vette suxxx ;-)
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Doctordel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was cross shopping the C7 with the 991 I decided to buy instead, the 3.4 no less.

Certain angles make the C7 look intriguing, but overall an overwrought design that will age poorly, IMO.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
I saw 3 today at Caffeine & Octane in Alpharetta, GA. Fawking Sweet'
Hey! I was there and saw them too. Pretty nice cars. Did you have your P car there?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
What kind of cars do you rent?
All kinds - I got a Camaro SS when I raced at CoTA earlier this year.....
Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
I drove the C7 at a Corvette Precision event and Palm Beach International speedway. The 7 speed was a blast and the car was absolutely gorgeous. Fit and finish was euro-like, all leather and alcantera, heads up display, rev matching. It's definitely a competitor to Porsche at 60% of the cost.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned 5 Corvettes over the years, and the C7 is such a disappointment design wise. Looks like they designed it for a segment of the population that cannot even afford it, young kids just out of high school. Looks like a slighty more attractive sibling of the Camaro, rear tail lights and all. Why would they take their design cue from a lesser model like that?

The most attractive color is black, only because it helps hide some of the vents. As was said, way too Transformer looking.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I've owned 5 Corvettes over the years, and the C7 is such a disappointment design wise. Looks like they designed it for a segment of the population that cannot even afford it, young kids just out of high school. Looks like a slighty less attractive sibling of the Camaro, rear tail lights and all. Why would they take their design cue from a lesser model like that?

The most attractive color is black, only because it helps hide some of the vents. As was said, way too Transformer looking.

FIFY.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

At this point if I were going to buy Chevy I would go with the new Z28. I actually like the look of the Mustang better though
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctordel
I was cross shopping the C7 with the 991 I decided to buy instead, the 3.4 no less.

Certain angles make the C7 look intriguing, but overall an overwrought design that will age poorly, IMO.
I have to agree with this although I am a Corvette guy having owned a dozen C2's and a couple C3's........so there is brand loyalty.
Seems GM is sculpting the performance segment with the Stealth B2B approach judging by Caddys, Camaros and Corvettes. I dont hate it as I dont dislike the "top-Stealth" Lambo-Tator.
That styling direction either appeals to an individual or not, very little middle ground. I found myself trying to "grow" into the new gen Camaro, has not happened as of yet.
However, continuing on that theme the CTSV coupe is appealing to me. The C7, except for the rear 1/4's this new design was immediately pleasing, to me.

But as Doctordel as posted, I too believe it will age quickly. The design certainly can be freshened once or twice, but then it must move to "the next big" styling change possibly smooth vs chiseled, who knows...?
The 911 has morphed differently, as we all know, and I like that classic styling better............for now. I also don't think it is as risky to "jump in" to Porsche ownership as it is for Corvette. Choosing a car that remains timeless is part luck and part "I'll know it when I see it" kinda things, Ford GT, and Z8, comes to mind. And of course this JMHO.

B.

Last edited by MerlinsGarage; 11-13-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
But as Doctordel as posted, I too believe it will age quickly. The design certainly can be freshened once or twice, but then it must move to "the next big" styling change possibly smooth vs chiseled, who knows...?
Therein lies the problem........the C4, C5, and C6 all had model runs spanning 10 years each or so with no changes to the body, so this is the design for the next decade if they stay true to their past.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:37 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by jlanka
At this point if I were going to buy Chevy I would go with the new Z28. I actually like the look of the Mustang better though
The new Mustang looks like the love child of a current Mustang and a Fusion, to me at least.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Therein lies the problem........the C4, C5, and C6 all had model runs spanning 10 years each or so with no changes to the body, so this is the design for the next decade if they stay true to their past.
Agree with the past, I do think future versions (4-5 years) will come more quickly. And I say that because performance is narrowing to such a high level we are approaching the diminishing return level. "Special" series within the model ie. Anniversary, Pace Car, "427", Grand Sport, etc are getting so passe nobody rushes out to grab a "Limited Edition" anymore. So, I believe either technology and/or design will have to carry the model forward.

Hey...JMHO.

Best, Bret.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:55 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I've owned 5 Corvettes over the years, and the C7 is such a disappointment design wise. Looks like they designed it for a segment of the population that cannot even afford it, young kids just out of high school. Looks like a slighty more attractive sibling of the Camaro, rear tail lights and all. Why would they take their design cue from a lesser model like that?

Styling is of course subjective, but I agree with your perspective. If I bought a C7 I'd expect that most people would say that there goes another guy going through mid-life crisis. Maybe they are thinking the same thing when I drive my Porsche, but I just don't think it screams look at me like the C7 does.

On the other hand here's another perspective:
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ette_stingray/
Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Styling is of course subjective, but I agree with your perspective. If I bought a C7 I'd expect that most people would say that there goes another guy going through mid-life crisis. Maybe they are thinking the same thing when I drive my Porsche, but I just don't think it screams look at me like the C7 does.
Exactly.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1

On the other hand here's another perspective:
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ette_stingray/
I think the under the skin engineering is very admirable, it is the skin I don't like.

Honestly, one thing I do not like at all are the black vent/gill covers all over the car. I couldn't figure out why I liked the car the best in black because it is not even my favorite color, but then realized it was because it hid the vent covers. GM could make an immediate improvement in the car if you could option the car with body colored vent/gill covers. I think it would soften the whole Transformers thing a bit.

Quick Reply: Saw my first C7 today