Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I base my signature on the great role model Andreas Preuninger's comments,head of the GT department.
I think AP sings a different tune nowadays ;-)
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
This was not aimed at you personally Neanicu. It was just a general wondering on my part ! If it came across like a personal attack, I apologize !

No need to apologize,didn't take it personally

Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I just want to share my experience with PDK, do far - just passed 1,000 miles this weekend! need to add that I have been pleasantly surprised that I am not despising the PDK and actually feel that it fits the "personality" of my new TTS rather well -- very, very well thought out and integrated in terms of driving experience. The FUN of driving the car, overall, I find, is not much finished, if at all. (Prior to this car I have only driven stick for 30 years.) I only drive the car in manual mode, unless I am handing it over to a parking attendant, or the like. Some things I am still getting used to: it seems a bit more difficult to actually time the shifts than any MT car I have owned - this may have nothing to do with the PDK, however. Also, even though I currently have the multi-function steering wheel (this will soon be changed to the sport design in alcantara!) I occasionally, look for the upshift paddle and instead wash my front windshield!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 PM
smuoio
Instructor

I meant " not much DIMINISHED, if at all. Fat finger problem going on here...
Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Hudyman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone says its faster in automatic mode. The button shifter/paddle shifter are completely unnecessary and serve as distractions when driving. Let the computers do the work, afterall, you paid extra for it.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Originally Posted by doubleurx
The cayenne GTS doesn't have PDK.
That explains it then... LOL!
You are correct,I've just checked,it's called an 8 speed automatic.
But still,there is a slight delay,even in the 991 PDK,might be less noticeable,but it is there IMO. I understand the new PDK-S in the GT3 is a lot better....
How about if you leave it in Auto,it wants to be in a higher gear as soon as possible...like I was in 7th gear at 45mph...?
Not in sport mode. In standard mode it does this to improve gas mileage.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Well, for the way I drive, which is just generally just fun weekend outings, if I ever start driving in automatic mode, except maybe in horrendous traffic, I promise again that will have a lobotomy! While I will probably be lucky to have a valid license within a year, speed is definitely not what it's all about.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:08 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smuoio
Also, even though I currently have the multi-function steering wheel (this will soon be changed to the sport design in alcantara!) I occasionally, look for the upshift paddle and instead wash my front windshield!
LOL .. I had the exact same thing when I testdrove a car with the MF wheel !
Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hudyman
Everyone says its faster in automatic mode. The button shifter/paddle shifter are completely unnecessary and serve as distractions when driving. Let the computers do the work, afterall, you paid extra for it.
No no no no NO !
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Everyone says its faster in automatic mode.
Who, exactly, is "everyone"? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this before....
Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Of course its faster. In manual the driver has to try and time shifts. Shift too early, leave power on the table. Shift too late, waste time hitting the rev limiter. Guess what? The driver never nails it like PDK will do time after time, all day long, if only you let it.

Oh, and I don't know about "everyone" but one of them is WR.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 PM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I prefer a stick in a sports car. Period. Would never consider an automatic transmission in any sports car. Shifting is great fun and I could care less about the ultimate performance numbers; I leave that kind of stuff to the professional drivers.

A manual challenges me and provides involvement in a way an automatic cannot. Anyone can drive an automatic well; driving a stick well takes a bit of skill, and the simple joy of a well-matched downshift with a manual is one of life's small pleasures.

Just my preference.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought my first new Porsche in 1983 and this year I bought my 7th. This is my first automatic. My old worn out knees have not stopped thanking me since. I now can go on a track day event and some of the people think I know how to drive this thing.

Old worn out enthusiasts like myself and the MT will soon be headed to the bone yard. The new generation of owners will only know PDK. History books will inform them that at one time people drove 90 hp Porsches and manually shifted their 4 speed MT.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My son got his learner's permit today. I pulled over onto our side street, and had him get in the drivers seat of our winter car (Subaru STI). He stalled on the first and second try, then got it on the third and several other starts. This was all on a snow covered road. Big smile on his face.

Great little manual moment.

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?