Sponsored by:

991 50th anniversary model

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlchasen
at the end of the day it looks like Porsche is throwing in the power package, wide hips, new age "Fuchs" and the anniversary touches for basically no extra charge.
that's amazing .. in the UK, 911-50 is about £10,000 extra, and no powerkit, but PSE included.

if US 911-50 is the same price as a C2S, 911-50 is an utter bargain .. which would mostly explain 'no discounts'.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ that is not what he meant. It's been mentioned numerous times that asking price for 50th anniversary in the USA is really a bargain. When you lightly optioned C2S up to 50th specs (leather interior, x51, 14 way seats), the price become at about the same. All other things that come with 50th considered freebies, a lot of freebies.
One may argue it is more expensive since discounts will not be given, but when they only built 1963 examples worldwide with wide body = worth the price of admission and considered lucky enough to have the opportunities to buy it. All other 'normal' model can be bought anytime of the day.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
^^^ that is not what he meant. It's been mentioned numerous times that asking price for 50th anniversary in the USA is really a bargain. When you lightly optioned C2S up to 50th specs (leather interior, x51, 14 way seats), the price become at about the same. All other things that come with 50th considered freebies, a lot of freebies.
One may argue it is more expensive since discounts will not be given, but when they only built 1963 examples worldwide with wide body = worth the price of admission and considered lucky enough to have the opportunities to buy it. All other 'normal' model can be bought anytime of the day.
I could not agree more. The 50th anniversary package gives you a lot of extras for no more cash plus the added exclusivity of only 500 or so coming to the US.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was comparing the prices in switzerland with the ones in the US. And I have to disagree that the anniversary model is a good bargain in the US. Truth is, that every Porsche is. We pay about 55'000$ more for a CS2 in europe. In america, you get three 911 for the price of two in switzerland. Porsche seems to be very eager to sell their cars in the US.

But the 911 50 is not the better bargain than any other model. In the US, it is about 25 percent more expensive than the CS2 ($125k vs. $99k), the cost for the X51 is easily covered. In switzerland, the anniversary model upgraded with X51 would cost chf 177k - also 25 percent more then the CS2 (chf 141k). Percentaged, the surcharge is the same.

On the other hand, I agree that the 911 50 is sold at a reasonable price, from a Porsche point of view at least. It includes options for about chf 17'000 (did not check for the US-prices), such as the seats, leather interior, pdls, pse, sport design steering wheel and lots of deviated stitching. Which means that the wide body, the chrome trim, the wheels, the color, the superb styling of the instruments and limited edition cost my a mere chf 5'000, which I'm more than ready to pay.

I hope this was more or less comprehensible. The subject exceeded the limits of my poor english by far, I'm afraid. Sorry for this.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-50
I was comparing the prices in switzerland with the ones in the US. And I have to disagree that the anniversary model is a good bargain in the US. Truth is, that every Porsche is. We pay about 55'000$ more for a CS2 in europe. In america, you get three 911 for the price of two in switzerland. Porsche seems to be very eager to sell their cars in the US.

But the 911 50 is not the better bargain than any other model. In the US, it is about 25 percent more expensive than the CS2 ($125k vs. $99k), the cost for the X51 is easily covered. In switzerland, the anniversary model upgraded with X51 would cost chf 177k - also 25 percent more then the CS2 (chf 141k). Percentaged, the surcharge is the same.

On the other hand, I agree that the 911 50 is sold at a reasonable price, from a Porsche point of view at least. It includes options for about chf 17'000 (did not check for the US-prices), such as the seats, leather interior, pdls, pse, sport design steering wheel and lots of deviated stitching. Which means that the wide body, the chrome trim, the wheels, the color, the superb styling of the instruments and limited edition cost my a mere chf 5'000, which I'm more than ready to pay.

I hope this was more or less comprehensible. The subject exceeded the limits of my poor english by far, I'm afraid. Sorry for this.
There is nothing wrong with your English It's better than my (Swiss) German haha.

Regarding the 911-50, you're spot on. You get a more exclusive and special edition for about the same price as an equally optioned C2S, with some extra's like you said.
I too, did compare the prices between different countries, but U.S. Is by far the less expensive country to buy a Porsche. It's a good thing to know, because we have something to do business with our salesmen... They could easily give us some better discounts. That said, we have the benefit of the Swiss Package, which is not a bad thing IMO.

Suzy991
Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Douglass1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISUK
I received a spray out of Geysir Grey from my dealer this morning. For anyone familiar with the Ferrari Maserati triple layer colour of Bianco Fuji I'd say it's very close in terms of the physical colour but not as vivid a metallic as it is not a triple layer paint. I think I'm going to switch to it.

Great pics, thanks for going to the trouble. Many of the posted pictures previously made the Geyser grey appear to have a slight yellowish tint. My wife actually called it "egg nog". Can you describe if the pieces you had in front of you did not have that characteristic (which I would not want).

Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't say that Geyser Grey has a yellowish tint. It is more of a cream colour with a hint of grey to it. When I held the spray out panel up against the GT silver paint on my 981 Boxster you could really notice the grey tint but when held against the diamond finish surface of the Carrera Classic wheels it looked much more of a metallic white.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

US prices are quoted without sales tax ..

Are you comparing Swiss pre tax prices?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
US prices are quoted without sales tax ..

Are you comparing Swiss pre tax prices?
Even without the tax, U.S. Prices are by far the cheapest. There's a 15% difference with, for example, Porsche's homemarket Germany (before taxes) and that is the cheapest market here in Europe.

Suzy991
Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 AM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Market price is also influenced by the surrounding competition. Look at the corvette price in the US. Who's gonna buy a Porsche 3 times a corvette's price?

Although the 50th is a relatively good buy in the US, it pales in comparison to the 991 GT3 in the "bang for the buck" comparison.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 AM
dlchasen
Track Day

Perhaps we're all somewhat overly influenced by others' comments on the subject of color, particularly when that's our only source of input. I certainly plead guilty to that. I've noticed that a few people have stated that they started out favoring Graphite and gradually leaned toward Geyser. That was my pattern as well. Honestly, I always thought white cars were a bit on the fem side; dark gray and black macho. Strangely, I've always liked the old Porsche cream color, particularly with the red interior, and never thought of that as being feminine. Now that I've chosen Geyser, I hope I don't have to turn in my man card upon delivery
Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
Market price is also influenced by the surrounding competition. Look at the corvette price in the US. Who's gonna buy a Porsche 3 times a corvette's price?

Although the 50th is a relatively good buy in the US, it pales in comparison to the 991 GT3 in the "bang for the buck" comparison.
This is exactly right. The GT3 is far and away the best value in the 991 lineup. In my opinion, the GT3 is either a bargain or all of the other 991 variants are overpriced.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed 100% on the GT3 point - very similar money to the 911 - 50. Just some of us need back seats.

IMHO, I would buy the car in Germany and import it rather than pay Swiss prices (which are mostly a function of the EUR/CHF FX rate and the Swiss dealers having to keep Swiss prices relatively consistent over time in CHF).

No matter which way you cut it, the Swiss dealer talk, swiss package stuff etc, just doesnt add up. And as for re-sale, well, there are so many non-Swiss cars being offered for sale in Switzerland that that drives the prices down to those levels anyway.

I think I did the math and you can basically either be a good Swiss and buy a C2S at Riesbach (and be made to feel bad for asking about discounts), or you can effectively part with the same amount of money and get a GT3 in Germany and import it into CH.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Douglass1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I have the 40th AE in GT Silver and have always loved that color. I'm lobbying my dealer to get some samples so I can see it in real life. Otherwise it's a coin flip between Graphite and Geyser.

I kind of like the idea of a color that morphs with the light and conditions. So if Geyser does that, it's a plus. I think GT Silver fits that category. Looks really awesome at night. My first Porsche was an "Egg Plant" purple and it morphed too.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

The GT silver would be perfect on the 50th. Not sure that I agree that the GT3 is far more bang for the buck as much as is it "different" bang for the buck. Torque curve in lower RPM's favor the 50th with a power kit over the GT-3. You need the higher RPMs' to appreciate the GT-3's real benefits.

On a related note, I am interested to learn how many US customers have been given formal build/delivery dates. it is my impression that US customers are still waiting to learn this. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 991 50th anniversary model