Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, you get the idea
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 AM
DPC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
At least the people saying these things understand you're talking about a Porsche. Try having someone ask about your Grand Seiko Spring Drive!
Ahh the Grand Seiko Spring Drive, one of my favorite watches in my collection! Also the only watch I've had to have fixed…
I'm waiting on a base 911 MT without sunroof to be delivered in early June. Where I live I only see S's and above with PDK so at least my 911 will be different from the rest...
Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carmmel04
Just say its a Volkswagen!
I like this reply... Or even 'it's a Volkswagen beetle'... It let's people know you bought it for YOU.... Not for anyone else...
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

You drive a car that less than one half of 1% of the entire population on the planet can afford.

The only people that can talk sh*t about what model 911 you own are those that drive a more expensive car than you and most of them would not because those are the only people that can appreciate what owning a new Porsche is like in the first place.

All others can f-off.

Love what you own and drive it like you stole it.

And of course... in good health.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
You drive a car that less than one half of 1% of the entire population on the planet can afford.

The only people that can talk sh*t about what model 911 you own are those that drive a more expensive car than you and most of them would not because those are the only people that can appreciate what owning a new Porsche is like in the first place.

All others can f-off.

Love what you own and drive it like you stole it.

And of course... in good health.
There's a term for this sort of faulty reasoning, the kind that says the only ones who can talk about feminism are women, disabilities are the handicapped, or in this case Porsches are the rich. But I'm too lazy to look it up just now. Now that I think about it however this is even worse. You're not saying the only ones fit to criticize Porsches are Porsche owners, or even those who know anything about Porsches, but only those who could afford to buy a Porsche but bought something more expensive instead. Its like saying the only one who can criticize feminism is the man who could afford a sex change but has so much money he had a species change instead. Which I guess is hard to refute, and may be beside the point anyway, which seems to be, the only ones entitiled to tell people to f-off are those with lots of money. Congratulations! You are now qualified to own a Ferrari!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont not have anything to proove to any one by buying a Turbo or a Rolls. I got a base 991 was sufficient for me. Now days 991 looks classic understated. 90% don't even know what it is.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 AM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You only get that kind of snobbery from Porsche aficionados (like us). To everyone else, every Porsche kind of looks the same.

Funnily enough I was walking home last night and a silver 991 Carrera drove past followed soon after by a white Cayman S 981. Now maybe it was my slight disdain for silver cars (very nineties) but, attempting to look through the eyes of someone who isn't that familiar with Porsche makes and marques, the Cayman looked the far more expensive/flashier car.

I love the styling on the C4 but I'm not a fan of the Turbo at all. In terms of looks, I'd rather have a base Carrera than a Turbo.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
There's a term for this sort of faulty reasoning, the kind that says the only ones who can talk about feminism are women, disabilities are the handicapped, or in this case Porsches are the rich. But I'm too lazy to look it up just now. Now that I think about it however this is even worse. You're not saying the only ones fit to criticize Porsches are Porsche owners, or even those who know anything about Porsches, but only those who could afford to buy a Porsche but bought something more expensive instead. Its like saying the only one who can criticize feminism is the man who could afford a sex change but has so much money he had a species change instead. Which I guess is hard to refute, and may be beside the point anyway, which seems to be, the only ones entitiled to tell people to f-off are those with lots of money. Congratulations! You are now qualified to own a Ferrari!
As always... what?

To the OP: Who gives a f@ck?

Jeez... people are way too sensitive.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

humor for the day: (this actually happened a few weeks ago)

My clueless wife: "Hey that car looks like your Porsche"

The car she was referring to?

Black Hyundai Elantra

Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
humor for the day: (this actually happened a few weeks ago)

My clueless wife: "Hey that car looks like your Porsche"

The car she was referring to?

Black Hyundai Elantra

LOL! Awesome!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:26 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Who cares what other "trolls" think or say-its for you. You liked plain 911, you got one..IMHO most of folks here who buy 911 have pockets to spend a little more and get the highest end beast..but it's not that...it's what you like...I put $50K worth of options because I wanted to and I could on 4S...with that money I could've gotten Turbo S...but I didn't ...why...I don't want turbo or turboS...I want naturally aspirated awd 911...to each his own!! Cheers!
for this post ^^^.

I've owned five 911s over 15 years. Three were C2s and two have been C4Ss. Not once was I ever asked why I didn't get a Turbo (or, in the case of my C2s, a C2S). The reaction from onlookers has always been awe and enjoyment.

I thought it was funny that the X51 power kit was brought up ... as if anyone would really ask: "You got an S but not the X51?" Come on now.

It's ignorant to make assumptions about how full people's pockets are and prescriptions as to how they should spend their money.

Finally, as a three-time C2 owner, I couldn't imagine allowing a few wannabe comments to adversely affect my pcar enjoyment.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:55 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I just tell everyone I drive a BMW.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:53 PM
tangram
Racer

I bet the percentage of base purchasers who are enthusiasts is actually HIGHER than the percentage of S purchasers who are enthusiasts. Sounds counterintuitive but I have bought into the British Porsche mag ethos that for a road car, modern sports cars (which are so capable) in base trim are the better and more fun option. Especially true of the base 991, which is a seriously fast car and gives nothing up to the S in looks. With my 993, the S was wider at the rear and that does, admittedly, add to the appeal.

A friend just purchased a Sapphire Blue/Yachting Blue base model but with 20 inch turbo wheels. Jaw droppingly gorgeous and plenty, plennnnnty fast.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Zohan
Racer

911 lineup explained @ 7:10
Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
Interesting. I am trying to order a straight C4, and even the dealer says - why not a 4S? Only a 4? So it is even the porsche people who have some biases.
same reason dealers ask why no PDK, Bose, sunroof, full leather, Etc....it results in more profit for them and makes for an easier car to re-sell later at trade in ...and again...more profitably

buy for yourself, not for the next owner or helping the sales guy achieve his quarterly metrics

Quick Reply: "Just a 911" (Rant)