Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Just a 911" (Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I'm caught in a paradox, I think. On the one hand, I can't imagine why I might care what someone else thinks about my choice of engine or options. It's my car, not theirs.

On the other hand -- and nothing personal! -- I can't imagine what would possess someone to order a $100K+ performance car and not spend the extra $15K to get the best engine offered. Are there really that many buyers who can afford a base model but not an S?

Obviously the X51 option causes this reasoning to break down somewhat, because now the gap between the base model and best-equipped 'S' model is more like $30K. But X51 wasn't offered when a lot of 991s now on the road were ordered.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have that "S" problem as most people know me as someone who occasionally likes to drive a little faster but most of the time rather cruise around. Therefore, the $$ was spent on a cabriolet rather than a "S" upgrade. So, to each his own. If you get bothered because someone said "oh, just a 911", then you will get bothered when you get a 991S and they will say "why not a GT3 or Turbo or RS or...", you know what I mean. I know deep down, most civilized Porsche owners such as members here will never see the way your buddies do.... simply because your buddies aren't Porsche owners and I bet they are filled of envy.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Tell'em you've got a Carrera - that will likely shut them up!
I agree, that is the perfect solution. The conversation should go something like this:

"What kinda Porsh you drive?" Droopy asked.

"I drive a nine-nine-one Carrera," Noah replied.

Droopy seemed confused. "But I thought the Porsh was a nine-eleven?"

"Yes, that's true. The nine-nine-one is the latest generation nine-eleven."

Droopy seems even more confused. "So then, it's still a nine-eleven ...?

Noah took a patient breath, finally said, "Technically it's still classified as a nine-eleven, but it's actually got ninety-percent different parts than the previous 911s."

Droopy wrinkled his brow while trying to digest the information. He finally ran a hand through his hair and shrugged. "But it's still a Porsh nine-eleven ... right ...?"

Noah gave him a reassuring smile. "Sure, only it handles better and goes faster."

Droopy bobbed his head. "Wow, you really got a cool car, man!"

As far as the wave goes: Corvette guys wave, as do Jeep enthusiasts. I'm still not sure about Porsche people, as I'm only now starting to drive my car.

Last edited by carrerapete; 04-10-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I just told them a base 911 was all I can afforded.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Are there really that many buyers who can afford a base model but not an S?
Affordability is debatable. For someone like me who 95% of the time use only a fraction of what my engine is capable, that 15k would be superfluous and rather be paid towards one of my kids' private school tuition. If it is solely for bragging rights... then I rather go for a Turbo and skip the S.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a 911 and it's one of the best sportscar in the world. S or not. Period.
In my case, because I have the aerokit, people keep asking : 'is it a GT3'?, but it does not bother me. 99.9% of the time just like the car and want to know more.

In my area, I found out that Porsche owners (Boxster, Cayman, 911, not Cayenne or Panamera) mostly wave during the week end... less stress and traffic and enjoying taking their P-cars for a spin.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
In my area, I found out that Porsche owners (Boxster, Cayman, 911, not Cayenne or Panamera) mostly wave during the week end... less stress and traffic and enjoying taking their P-cars for a spin.
I waved to a heavily modded Corvette today and gave him the thumb up. The guy seemed very pleased and waved back. It was a nice sunny day
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
I waved to a heavily modded Corvette today and gave him the thumb up. The guy seemed very pleased and waved back. It was a nice sunny day
I stopped waving at Porsches 8 or 9 Porsches ago. It just seemed snobbish to me.

But if I'm stopped at a light next to a special car, I will nod, smile or give a thumbs up. Likewise, if someone gives me a thumbs up, i will smile and acknowledge. Would be rude not to.

To me, appreciating a nice car is more sincere than waving at an unknown, oncoming car just because it's a Porsche.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Amalgam
Affordability is debatable. For someone like me who 95% of the time use only a fraction of what my engine is capable, that 15k would be superfluous and rather be paid towards one of my kids' private school tuition. If it is solely for bragging rights... then I rather go for a Turbo and skip the S.
AGREED, no kids here but 15k is a LOT of money for the extra power I will never miss for at least 95% of the driving time. Besides the base coupled with PDK and SC narrows it in much closer to the S. The extra 15k can cover tires and maintenance costs until the next model comes out.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 AM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
While I'd like the extra power that comes with an S, I'm not complaining.

What I can't STAND, however, is how every other day someone hears I got a Porsche, and they ask what kind. I tell them it's a 911. Then they ask which one. What am I supposed to say? Just a plain old 911. Sorry folks, it's not a S, it's not a GTS, it's not a Turbo. "Oh" they reply, like they feel sorry for me.

It's really beginning to annoy the hell out of me. Most of the people asking are just trolls anyway, driving Subaru's and occasionally BMW's. I feel like saying "well, what the *#%Q do YOU drive, a-hole?" but I just bite my tongue.

Imagine coming up to Ray Allen, asking what he does, hearing he's in the NBA. Then someone asks him if he was on the all-star team. No. Sorry. Just the all-time 3 point leader, but no, not on the all-star team this year. Just a noob. (Good analogy?)

While I'm ranting, NOBODY around here with a 911 waves. I think I live in a wasteland of non-enthusiats.
I find these useful....
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

You're right, I think I'll go with "991". Really annoying that I have to feel the need to justify my $97k car though.
you dont...i had similar experience after some older generation 911 guys i knew when i told them i ordered the 991 C4S cab.."ohh you went for 4wd" "The GT3 is out" "Really dont like the 991..blah blah blah"

To Hell with the lot of them...we all do our research take advice from members on various forums read the reviews etc..Actually in the uk most reviewers advise to buy a base 991 with just a few options..

You enjoy it buddy ...and just smile as the comments come and think to yourself..
"I got the latest 911..one of the best engineered cars in the world".
Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 AM
luffe
Intermediate

While I'd like the extra power that comes with an S, I'm not complaining.

What I can't STAND, however, is how every other day someone hears I got a Porsche, and they ask what kind. I tell them it's a 911. Then they ask which one. What am I supposed to say? Just a plain old 911. Sorry folks, it's not a S, it's not a GTS, it's not a Turbo. "Oh" they reply, like they feel sorry for me.

It's really beginning to annoy the hell out of me. Most of the people asking are just trolls anyway, driving Subaru's and occasionally BMW's. I feel like saying "well, what the *#%Q do YOU drive, a-hole?" but I just bite my tongue.

Imagine coming up to Ray Allen, asking what he does, hearing he's in the NBA. Then someone asks him if he was on the all-star team. No. Sorry. Just the all-time 3 point leader, but no, not on the all-star team this year. Just a noob. (Good analogy?)

While I'm ranting, NOBODY around here with a 911 waves. I think I live in a wasteland of non-enthusiats.
The title of one of the legendary physicist Richard Feynman's biographies come to mind: What Do You Care What Other People Think?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM
carmmel04
AutoX

You're right, I think I'll go with "991". Really annoying that I have to feel the need to justify my $97k car though.
Just say its a Volkswagen!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Most people only recognize the Turbo as the best 911. Heck, I consider myself a car guy and couldn't tell you if your Vette is a C6, C7, Z06, Z07...Well you get the point. Plus, who cares what other people think. Most people think we're all ****** anyway.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I never have these problems

Quick Reply: "Just a 911" (Rant)