Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Just a 911" (Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think anyone who says something like that has never driven a 911. Even the most bare bones base Carerra is a phenomenal sports car. And besides, anyone who thinks the numbers on paper are what makes a sports car has no clue.

First time you sit in a 911 and fire up the engine, you know you're in something special. There's nothing like unless you spend quite a bit more (sitting in a Ferrari and firing up those engines is ridiculous, but I've never been in the drivers seat for that experience).
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
What I can't STAND, however, is how every other day someone hears I got a Porsche, and they ask what kind. I tell them it's a 911. Then they ask which one. What am I supposed to say? Just a plain old 911. Sorry folks, it's not a S, it's not a GTS, it's not a Turbo. "Oh" they reply, like they feel sorry for me.

It's really beginning to annoy the hell out of me. Most of the people asking are just trolls anyway, driving Subaru's and occasionally BMW's. I feel like saying "well, what the *#%Q do YOU drive, a-hole?" but I just bite my tongue.
Haha, I can relate to this. Used to have this all the time in my Boxster. "Aaaaah matey, I would have gotten a 911 if I were you". Now I'm waiting for my 991 to get delivered and it has allready started and I'm not even driving it yet. "Aaaah matey, I would have gotten a GT3 if I were you" And you should see the cars they drive themselves :-)
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
On the other hand -- and nothing personal! -- I can't imagine what would possess someone to order a $100K+ performance car and not spend the extra $15K to get the best engine offered. Are there really that many buyers who can afford a base model but not an S?
It's all about making choices, setting priorities and getting what's appropriate in ones own use case. It's only 15K to the S. But then its only ?K to the X51. But then it's only ?K to GT3. Then it's only ?K to GT3 RS .. to GT2 RS .. to 918 spyder .. to .. it never ends !

To me, the base C2 is plenty of car ! To me, and the use I have for the car, there is no 15K added value in the S ! I did not choose the C2 because I could not afford the C2S !
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
It's all about making choices, setting priorities and getting what's appropriate in ones own use case. It's only 15K to the S. But then its only ?K to the X51. But then it's only ?K to GT3. Then it's only ?K to GT3 RS .. to GT2 RS .. to 918 spyder .. to .. it never ends !

To me, the base C2 is plenty of car ! To me, and the use I have for the car, there is no 15K added value in the S !
For me it's about usable power. Driving a base 911, its a blast. I don't feel like I need extra power on the road, the vast majority of it I can't use anyway. And it's more fun to push a car closer to the limits (within reason on the street) with less power than something with a ton. B/c something like a turbo or Ferrari, you can't even remotely touch high rpms without exceeding the speed limit excessively. I feel the same about the base Boxster. It's the experience.

But some of us are power junkies so I understand.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
On the other hand -- and nothing personal! -- I can't imagine what would possess someone to order a $100K+ performance car and not spend the extra $15K to get the best engine offered. Are there really that many buyers who can afford a base model but not an S?
Another person who doesn't agree with you at all on this point.
I bought my car off the lot. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's somewhat impulsive and have neither the desire or patience to custom order something and wait months for it. When I went shopping, the only MUST HAVE on my list was manual transmission, and out of some 15 odd 991's on 3 dealer lots in my town at the time, only 3 had it and they were all base Carrera's.
I could have squeezed out more money if a similarly optioned S with manual had been around but it wasn't and my priorities were what they were.
Weirdly, I haven't had the OP's issues in explaining my car. I've only had one person even mention an S while discussing my car and it wasn't said in a manner to disparage my car. I've said in numerous threads, that I've never regretted the decision to get my car at all.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I could have afforded an S, however, I'm not in the "money is no object" category and my priorities continue to be to pay off my mortgage, which I'll do this year, and save for my kids private college, which is almost done also (529). For me, getting a manual transmission true sports car that my 9 and 11 year old kids can go in with me was the highest priority, so the extra $12-15k wasn't worth it to me. I'd rather save it.

Regardless, thanks for all the thoughtful replies. It seems others have had similar experiences, and even with an S there's always the GTS, with the GTS there's the Turbo, and with the Turbo, there's the "why didn't you get a Ferrari"? I'm happy with my raw, pure 911. I just wish I didn't have to hear it from the peanut gallery that exists in South Florida.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

At the end of the game, the pawn & king go back in the same box"

-Italian proverb
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Strangely enough, I often get the "why the hell did you buy a Porsche" question.
Personally I find the whole Base vs. S vs. X51 snobbery quite childish.

Success is getting what you want.. Happiness is wanting what you get...

I'm happy...
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

What to do to anyone who says, 'it's only a 991'

I dare say most all of us could afford the S, but for many, myself included, it would be doing the above to my $.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

This seems like a silly insecurity. It's a 991 911 C2. Period. Who cares what anyone thinks.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait until a maserati driver comes up to you and says...

I got rid of my 991S because it wasn't exclusive enough, you'd think the 911 would be more exclusive for the price it commands
Personally I don't care for the attention at all and would rather have active camo that disguises mine as a Corolla or something
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

I initially orderd C2 with all performance options, but not much else. I then realized with my preference, a C2S would only cost about $5K more, since it comes with many performace options standard.

So I changed my order to C2S and added the "Deletion of Model Designation" option, a free option believe it or not

Seriously though, I have never considered label important in my car selection, wanted the lightest and most fun car always, but now I have ordered the C2S, I do find people more impressed by it, compared to when I told them I ordered a base 911.

So for the extra $5K, I don't mind if it impresses a few people who like to be impressed that way, and for the rest it will not have the badge to show them so they know I don't really care what they think.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

At least the people saying these things understand you're talking about a Porsche. Try having someone ask about your Grand Seiko Spring Drive!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

You should move out here everybody waves some wave and flash lights. As far as those who dismiss the Base, scr*w em. Do you actually care what they say or think. I sure don't.

Dont forget; There is no substitute
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Techart_Dreamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuck911
At least the people saying these things understand you're talking about a Porsche. Try having someone ask about your Grand Seiko Spring Drive!
Haha watch conversations are amazing. I'm a fan of horology, and having a conversation with someone who has no idea of anything outside a Fossil, or Casio, is priceless.

-Markus-

Quick Reply: "Just a 911" (Rant)