Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Carrera engine fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Personally, I suspect rapid oxidation due to excess molecular vibration.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

So, something may have gotten in there. Pretty hard for anything bigger than pine needles to get past all the screens and filters. I would say a tech left or dropped something in there, but a thousand miles ago?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 71 Posts

This is pathetic...you not able to get into the car you paid for and being in freakin american / Japanese/Korean rentals...I feel for you and very sorry for this. You should get compensated big time!! Thanks for sharing your experience and keep us posted please! Good luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 AM
LotF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foreign material = shop towel
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 AM
pilotmcc
Intermediate

Thanks for the uplift. The forensics were done today. I put in two calls to the investigator but have had no response so far. Insurance adjuster has kept me informed. My thumbs are blurred as they twiddle. I'm not really "sitting by the phone" but each ring makes me hopeful. I still MiSS THAT DARN CABRIO as the WX improves in the PNW and I've begun to realize that I may miss a fair percentage of the spring/summer.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotmcc
Thanks for the uplift. The forensics were done today. I put in two calls to the investigator but have had no response so far. Insurance adjuster has kept me informed. My thumbs are blurred as they twiddle. I'm not really "sitting by the phone" but each ring makes me hopeful. I still MiSS THAT DARN CABRIO as the WX improves in the PNW and I've begun to realize that I may miss a fair percentage of the spring/summer.
I really feel your pain and sincerely hope this all gets resolved rather quickly for you: in the correct fashion of course.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotmcc
I'm amazed I had to go to page 2 to find this thread. What's the latest? Just reading about the way you've been treated pisses me off so I can't imagine how you feel.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is making me paranoid: I do smell a bit of burning (rubber?) from the rear of the car every time i shut off the engine after a short drive.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
This thread is making me paranoid: I do smell a bit of burning (rubber?) from the rear of the car every time i shut off the engine after a short drive.
Burning rubber is normal if you're using the car, but for short, quiet drives, not so much. There's almost zero to see in the 991 engine compartment design. You'd have to let a dealer R&R the covers just to get a glimpse of the damn engine these days. I checked with the local dealer service manager and he said there's nothing in the bulletins on compartment fires as product issue. I wouldn't let the power of suggestion poke at your paranoia. If you wanted, you could just run a quiet warm-up drive, then idle while stationary and once the gauges show hot fluids, see if it passes the aroma test or if there's anything suspicious warranting a trip to the dealer.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

A slight burning odor seems to be common on 911s for the first few thousand miles, due to the factory's use of cosmoline on surfaces near/within the engine compartment. When in doubt, though, have someone check it out.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM
pilotmcc
Intermediate

Angry

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I'm amazed I had to go to page 2 to find this thread. What's the latest? Just reading about the way you've been treated pisses me off so I can't imagine how you feel.
I know. You think it pisses you off? It's interesting to note that you guys are living this saga in real time. I understand that these issues have a process and it takes a certain amount of time to unwind the details, but now it's becoming ridiculous.

The forensics lab completed their study last Friday. I was notified by my insurance adjuster that "no foreign material" was identified by the gas chromatograph and microscope. At least in the samples that the investigator collected. In other words, the rag left in the engine space theory was tossed.

So, after those findings the "hot potatoe" is now back into the hands of PCNA. A PCNA Legal representative contacted my insurance and indicated that they were not sure that the proper samples were studied and have scheduled ANOTHER inspection for this Thursday. The PCNA field rep., forensics expert, representative of the oil change dealer, and 2 insurance reps are expected to be on scene. I hope to be there as well, essentially to rattle the cage if nothing else.

Throughout this series of studies and inspections I have tried to remain patient and neutral. Sometimes I pine for the car, others I don't even want it. Now, however, as it approaches a month with the burned car sitting in the dealer's back lot with a Jaguar cover over it, (they don't want it identified as a P car)I'm losing patience.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
A slight burning odor seems to be common on 911s for the first few thousand miles, due to the factory's use of cosmoline on surfaces near/within the engine compartment. When in doubt, though, have someone check it out.
I sure hope that is what explains the burning odor. I gotta say the odor is rather mild and dissipates quite quickly. Nonetheless, it is there. I usually smell it just right after I exit the car, and as I approach the engine to put my nose to it... it would be almost gone.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I sure hope that is what explains the burning odor. I gotta say the odor is rather mild and dissipates quite quickly. Nonetheless, it is there. I usually smell it just right after I exit the car, and as I approach the engine to put my nose to it... it would be almost gone.
My 2013 c2 does the same thing. I assumed it was the tires, as I drive like I am batman regularly, or the oils burning off as someone mentioned before.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
LotF
Advanced

... if you want to rattle the cage, bring a lawyer with you. 30 days should be enough time to resolve this issue. Lacking any substantial evidence as to cause, your insurance company needs to pay. If they want to sue the dealer and/or PCNA that's their problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by LotF
... if you want to rattle the cage, bring a lawyer with you. 30 days should be enough time to resolve this issue. Lacking any substantial evidence as to cause, your insurance company needs to pay. If they want to sue the dealer and/or PCNA that's their problem.
Totally agree with this. Even if you simply have a friend who's a lawyer who can go with you. They need to know you're aware of your options and are running out of patience. Even the presence of a lawyer will send that message, especially if the insurance company thinks they may face a "bad faith" lawsuit...that's scary language to insurance companies.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera engine fire