Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Carrera engine fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I will be shocked if this is not declared a total loss once the engine is pulled. Fire is much more destructive than a collision. It is just a matter of a bit more time...
Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Suppose instead of a fire there was an accident in which culpability was in doubt. I don't know about other Insurance companies, but my Insurance company, GEICO, immediately began repair of my car when I was involved in a serious accident, and the cost of the repair was well over $15K. I had to pay a $250 deductable, but the repairs were completed within four weeks. GEICO and the Insurance company for the other driver than entered into binding arbitration. It took about four months for the issue to be settled, but it was settled in my favor, and GEICO refunded my $250 deductable.

My assertion is that repairs or the totaling of the car should not be delayed while fault is being determined. This could take months. I haven't seen this car but my expectation is that no respectable repair shop would undertake the repair of this car because it will be virtually impossible to repair it to the satisfaction of the owner.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
I think the OP has been patient long enough. I would contact an attorney . I suspect the insurance company is not acting in good faith. The subrogated claim is a red herring to the OP. The insurers can litigate amongst themselves . The Op suffered loss and the idea of repair and all of the issues that go along with it does not make the Op whole. His insurance co. needs to put on notice. So sorry to hear of this.
right on. the OP has mentioned he has other cars. Same insurance co? what about home, life, etc? Use this a leverage w/ your agent. If in the end they dont want to play ball F them and take your biz elsewhere. Plenty of other Inco's around.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
I disagree. If it was in fact a rag left in the engine, how is that Porsche's fault? The dealer should be the one going above and beyond to make this owner happy, not PCNA. Just my humble opinion...
Somebody else was trying to protect PCNA earlier in the thread. A couple of responses to that:

https://rennlist.com/forums/10451001-post121.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/10451309-post122.html
Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Cause and effect! Who caused it? There is definite negligence here, and who was negligent? That is who is to blame. If the settlement is not satisfactory, then you sue who made it that way. I wish you could get a new car, but life isn't always fair.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rnl
Hang in there. I had a client who suffered a theft of a high performance vehicle insured by Flo's team. Flo's teammates "interviewed" my client in my presence "on the record" and asked "on the record" for a number of documents. I provided the documents within 48 hours. They asked for the same documents again and I provided the docs by FEDEX in 24 hours as well as copies of the same documents originally provided. They then wanted bank statements, charge card statements, toll receipts, and a lot of other nonsense requests.

We cooperated and did everything they asked.

After 60 days, I wrote the "you appear to be acting in bad faith letter." Within 2 days my client was hold a check from the insurance company.

You should not care who pays. Who is right and who is wrong means absolutely nothing to you. Look to your insurance company and let them deal with the dealer.

When you get the check shop elsewhere.
Same thing happened to me under the same insurance company after 7 years of no claims and several cars under the same insurance.
One day after 40 days I said this is it, and they approved everything, after going thru the same crap ... too late, I sent all to the lawyer and tried to settle with me, didn't back off and got paid.
Don't be ashamed, lawyer up as soon as you can and get what you deserve.
Took me 3 months to get paid after all, but it was well worth it.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Somebody else was trying to protect PCNA earlier in the thread. A couple of responses to that:

Excellent points!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll take mine to Quickie Oil Change. Seems like a less risky option?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

To be precise, I wasn't trying to white-knight PCNA, but was emphasizing that it appears to be the dealer's responsibility above and beyond anyone else's. Dealers make a lot of money from us for doing what amounts to very little real work, and scenarios like this are their opportunity to earn their place in the food chain.

It seems the only way you can adequately protect yourself from a scenario like this is to retain counsel before the carcass cools off, have them start issuing threats to various parties to put them on notice that they will be held accountable, and be prepared to follow through on the threats. To me, 30 days sounds like more than enough time for the other parties to get their stories straight and cut a check. After that, it's time to go nuclear on the dealer.

PCNA's responsibility to police their dealer network is certainly relevant, but secondary IMHO.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
To be precise, I wasn't trying to white-knight PCNA, but was emphasizing that it appears to be the dealer's responsibility above and beyond anyone else's. Dealers make a lot of money from us for doing what amounts to very little real work, and scenarios like this are their opportunity to earn their place in the food chain.
I agree that everything so far points to the dealer being responsible. Problem is, they don't seem to act as if they are. Going on a month and a half now with not much progress. That doesn't make the brand proud and that's where the captain needs to step in and right the ship which hasn't happened either.

It seems the only way you can adequately protect yourself from a scenario like this is to retain counsel before the carcass cools off, have them start issuing threats to various parties to put them on notice that they will be held accountable, and be prepared to follow through on the threats. To me, 30 days sounds like more than enough time for the other parties to get their stories straight and cut a check. After that, it's time to go nuclear on the dealer.
This dealer is smearing the brand and pissing off a at least one good customer. Probably a lot more than that given the 14,390 views so far of this thread. How about PCNA going nuclear on the dealer for making the brand look bad? Or maybe the dealer is only following instructions from PCNA. That would make sense since consumer relations never seems to be a consideration with PCNA. Between the IMS disaster that culminated with a lost class action law suit after 14 years of refusing responsibilty and this fiasco, the arrogance at work here is well established imo.

PCNA's responsibility to police their dealer network is certainly relevant, but secondary IMHO.
Assuming they're not already involved (doubt it), how long and how much damage before secondary?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Totally agree. The dealers are multi-million dollar operations and, well, sometimes $hit happens. One of your staff writes off someone's car...well it's gonna cost a few bucks to make it right. Case closed.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Pardon my French, but what the OP is going through is utter Bulls**t. He did NOTHING wrong other than drive his car.

A word to the wise - if you ever have an issue with your car, skip the dealer and go straight to PCNA. In most cases (not necessarily this case) the dealer adds very little value.

PCNA is there to protect its brand and the dealers are there to receive their annual allotment of merchandise. The Dealers are there solely to move merchandise and not much else. Sales and Service are two very separate businesses and once that baby is sold, you're pretty much on your own.

Unfortunately nowadays being "nice" is sometimes equated to being weak, so you'll probably end up having to use a lawyer to get anyone to listen.

We all know the Porsche and their sales guys trawl these boards in their pathetic disguises.
Get your s**t together and do the right thing for this customer, whose word of mouth is a powerful medium (14,000+ views and counting).
After all, the pen is far more mighty than the sword...

Last edited by duxsi; 05-16-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by duxsi
Pardon my French, but what the OP is going through is utter Bulls**t. He did NOTHING wrong other than drive his car.

A word to the wise - if you ever have an issue with your car, skip the dealer and go straight to PCNA. In most cases (not necessarily this case) the dealer adds very little value.

PCNA is there to protect its brand and the dealers are there to receive their annual allotment of merchandise. The Dealers are there solely to move merchandise and not much else. Sales and Service are two very separate businesses and once that baby is sold, you're pretty much on your own.

Unfortunately nowadays being "nice" is sometimes equated to being weak, so you'll probably end up having to use a lawyer to get anyone to listen.

We all know the Porsche and their sales guys trawl these boards in their pathetic disguises.
Get your s**t together and do the right thing for this customer, whose word of mouth is a powerful medium (14,000+ views and counting).
After all, the pen is far more mighty than the sword...
Problem is...they really don't care because they don't have to care. Look at the signatures of a lot of members and users here. Serial Porsche buyers addicted to the brand, sometimes over decades. Most will keep buying these cars no matter how many middle fingers the Porsche support team extends so where's the incentive to do the right thing once integrity is removed from the equation?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM
pilotmcc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man! Listen to this... I'm the epicenter of this maelstrom and I'm curiously awaiting peep 1 from frankly, anyone at either insurance company. I, unfortunately, have had to resort to retaining an attorney simply to try to get some answers. My insurance agent, with whom I have insured, I think, 15 cars over a period of 25 years, is a 911 owner. A nice guy with decades of service under his belt is only a small tooth on the insurance saw blade. Adjuster's and those in decision making positions are shadowy figures in the distance.

Honestly, at this point, I'm not sure what my feelings are about staying with the brand. When I step away and subtract the thrill, and pride I get from owning a Porsche, all I have is a lot of money tied up in a conflict over a chunk of metal. A chunk that lost 40% of it's value in a period of about 7 minutes as I stood there with a garden hose.

We'll see where this goes. I've long given up on my cabrio summer.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotmcc
Man! Listen to this... I'm the epicenter of this maelstrom and I'm curiously awaiting peep 1 from frankly, anyone at either insurance company. I, unfortunately, have had to resort to retaining an attorney simply to try to get some answers. My insurance agent, with whom I have insured, I think, 15 cars over a period of 25 years, is a 911 owner. A nice guy with decades of service under his belt is only a small tooth on the insurance saw blade. Adjuster's and those in decision making positions are shadowy figures in the distance.

Honestly, at this point, I'm not sure what my feelings are about staying with the brand. When I step away and subtract the thrill, and pride I get from owning a Porsche, all I have is a lot of money tied up in a conflict over a chunk of metal. A chunk that lost 40% of it's value in a period of about 7 minutes as I stood there with a garden hose.

We'll see where this goes. I've long given up on my cabrio summer.
It's actually very simple :
State Farm needs to total the car and write you a very nice check according to the car's book value at the time of the incident.
Then,they can settle with the dealer's insurance company,take the car and fix it,put State Farm stickers on the sides,sell it for 30-40K at a salvage insurance auction...whatever...you shouldn't care...
Aaah...this really pisses me off!
Good luck and really hope we'll see you soon enjoying your car!

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera engine fire