Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:26 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z356, thank you so much for your contributions to this forum. I have learned a lot. I have a very outlandish question for you- is it possible to take some elements of a 50th anniversary 911 and translate to a Carrera 4S?

Specifically I want:
50th anniversary gauge [needles only]
Houndstooth interior
geyser grey paint
Old 07-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 50th Anniversary...via the back door of 'Porsche Exclusive'

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Z356, thank you so much for your contributions to this forum. I have learned a lot.
Thank you for your kind words!

I have a very outlandish question for you- is it possible to take some elements of a 50th anniversary 911 and translate to a Carrera 4S?

Specifically I want:
50th anniversary gauge [needles only]
Houndstooth interior
geyser grey paint
How can I put this diplomatically and concise in as few a words as possible. OK, I think I got it.

'Nein'

But that is just my gut feeling. You can ask 'Porsche Exclusive' and wait for their answer. Imagine the reaction of the 1963 individual owners of the very expensive 50th Anniversary Limited Edition would be if they respond anything but 'Nein'.

Also notice the words 'the likes of which will never be seen again.' in their webpage. There is a period after that sentence. It is not followed by 'unless ordered via 'Porsche Exclusive' by any Tom, Dick or SnakeBitten Harry!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Haha! It was worth asking. I wish the 50th Anniversary had AWD as an option.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Heads up, Eduardo. Just got word from my Superhero Porsche guy that he's secured the Chartreuse paint sample from their body shop and will be sending it off to PAG for feasibility review.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

It's still worth asking 'Porsche Exclusive'...I don't run the show there so whatever I say is immaterial. Send them an email and see what they say!

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Heads up, Eduardo. Just got word from my Superhero Porsche guy that he's secured the Chartreuse paint sample from their body shop and will be sending it off to PAG for feasibility review.
GreenLantern: If I was you, I would also ask 'Porsche Exclusive' to cross-check the paint sample your sales guy gets from his paint shop with the paint chip that 'Porsche Exclusive' kept of Rennlister SteveH's PTS 'Chartreuse', which is the paint used his Limited Edition gt3 4.0! If its going to be called 'Chartreuse'/'Lime Green', color code 226, it needs to be true to its original paint formula! And it would be good to have the color double checked since the factory knows what formula they used in MY2012 to achieve that exact color. Good luck with all of that!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS How do you know if this guy is a 'SuperHero'? Sure he wear tights, but what 'man' doesn't in the San Francisco area! But does he leap over tall buildings? Do you have any tall buildings in Marin? The 172 ft gold spike of the Frank Lloyd Wright designed 'Civic Center' doesn't count! Be honest.

Photo 1 - 'Chartreuse' 4.0
Photo 2 - The type of color chips 'Porsche Exclusive' keeps of every PTS color they have used in the past decade or...longer.
Photo 3 - The 'tall' Marin County 'Civic Center' - where I got married by the civil code!

Attached Images    

Last edited by Z356; 07-15-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Speaking of the 50th, why is it still on the Configurator? I assume all 1963 copies have been built by now, no?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's still there to help potential buyers configure and price the cars that is out there for sale as there are some 25 cars across the showrooms in states. It was no longer possible to order to spec 50th back in late may when I asked but they were still being made.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 50th_Anniversary Edition

Originally Posted by Keadog
Speaking of the 50th, why is it still on the Configurator? I assume all 1963 copies have been built by now, no?
Yes, but not all have been sold off US dealer lots! We have something called 'marketing' in the trade and this is a good example of it still at work...for PCNA! Being in the configurator makes it easier to compare the ones availables versus what the range of options was on the model from factory. I would find it all very good & informative information if I was a prospective 50th Anniversary Edition buyer. It also makes it look like it's a 'current' model. I agree it's odd to see an MY2014 still being shown in the 'new' MY2015 model roster, but that is 'show business'...excuse me, I meant to say the car business!

If anybody is interested in a 50th Anniversary in the US, below are a few of the listings from AutoTrader today.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images            
Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eduardo do you have any details on the 515 car?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default It can be truly 'Paint-to-Sample'...

Originally Posted by blue44
seems like the approval process makes it more like " extra charge colors " rather than " paint to sample ".
No, take a closer look at the list: 'Glasurit Colour SB272.20', 'pantone 296C', etc. It can match the gloss lipstick of your wife...if you wanted it to! Just send Porsche a sample of that lipstick's color painted on a piece of metal, plus an order for an expensive Porsche model (e.g. 991, 981) which includes the $5,500 option! Then just sit back and hope its approved! Voila. It's truly 'Paint-to-Sample'...if you have the 'cojones' to take it there!

However, most of us are satisfied with getting a vintage, heritage color from Porsche's past, like the elegant 'ModeGrau' or the captivating 'Viper Green', to make our 991/981 feel pretty unique & bespoke! But it took someone with a vision & a desire...plus an actual custom order...to get each & everyone of these 'colors' on the approved PTS list! That is how this PTS list has been put together...and that is how this PTS list is growing in possibilities with each passing month!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PTS List.pdf (121.2 KB, 211 views)
Old 07-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 50th_Anniversary Editions at the '14 PCA Parade in Monterey

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Eduardo do you have any details on the 515 car?
This response, plus all the photos that accompany it, can be found on this other thread re: 911_50th Registry:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7889...gistry-12.html

"Mondrian:

That photo was taken at the PCA Parade at Monterey in June. I saw four 50th Anniversary cars in total attending the Parade. I have three of their numbers. The fourth belongs to Larry A., who is a Rennlister here by the name 'Rallyeporsche'. He is a Golden Gate Region autocross enthusiast. I failed to take the photo of his # because we got into a conversation about his 991, which he had Porsche buy back and got this instead over at Carlsen. Some of you might remember this post:
Originally Posted by Rallyeporsche
While waiting for my buyback check for the GT3 I bought a 50th Anniversary 991 for Parade. Different car altogether but nice. I'll still wear the Porsche logo hat with flames on it for old times sake.
Most of the photos of the three 50th were taken at the final day's Parade of Porsches at Laguna Seca. As you can see there were a lot of cars there to do a few laps around the track. The three there were one of each color - 'Black', 'Geyser Grey Metallic' and 'Graphite Grey'. Larry's car was 'Geyser Grey Metallic', but I don't think he was there. I think I got the right number associated with the car...but I am not 100% sure.

1) 'Geyser Grey Metallic' was #515. It belongs to Jim M. of the PCA Arizona Region.

2) The 'Black' was I believe #1329 and it belongs to Charles W. of Golden Gate Region.

3)The 'Graphite Grey' must be #1554. And it belongs to Kurt H. of PCA 'Diablo' in Northern California.

4) The other 'Geyser Grey Metallic' at the Parade is not pictured. It belongs to Larry A. of Golden Gate Region.

Final three photos are of some of the PCA Parade cars lining up to do their two 'Parade' laps at Laguna Seca!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel"

Attached Images   
Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, but not all have been sold off US dealer lots! We have something called 'marketing' in the trade and this is a good example of it still at work...for PCNA! Being in the configurator makes it easier to compare the ones availables versus what the range of options was on the model from factory. I would find it all very good & informative information if I was a prospective 50th Anniversary Edition buyer. It also makes it look like it's a 'current' model. I agree it's odd to see an MY2014 still being shown in the 'new' MY2015 model roster, but that is 'show business'...excuse me, I meant to say the car business!

If anybody is interested in a 50th Anniversary in the US, below are a few of the listings from AutoTrader today.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Wow, still a good number of 911_50s left. Anyone still in the market can probably negotiate a great price at this point.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Default Ciao Eduardo

Eduardo (E);

Thanks so very much for your extensive thoughts & suggestions in reply to my most recent post. As mentioned in my first post I was a die-heard 356 owner for more years than I care to mention. This is my first venture ordering or owning any 911 & like so many passions in life the 'more you learn - the more you learn what you don't know'. Less is more is a good dictum in life but less in respect to 'special order the choices 'can' be a bit overwhelming when the dealer is less than enthusiastic. That’s solved by changing dealer!

with respect to Oryx white, I didn't look at the fee during first special order coding & wrongly assumed it was the configurator special color fee which as you know is considerably less than app.$10K. I still have interest but need to hunt down an existing car & make a pilgrimage to have a look in person. I have seen one of the SlugBugs in that colour & wasn't impressed. However that car wasn’t well loved.

Your point referencing introducing another colour for roof material is a well thought out critique. It was one of my early considerations when I was pairing a more traditional 356 treatment using one of the Cream White variations with a cocoa roof. Ultra classical but with time I’m thinking that may be “too” retro a look on the 911. (thoughts?). I think I have more than enough more realistic options without venturing into the unknown realms of a special Targa top covering. Thanks for your input on that issue.

Melissa (NY) has been prompt, super knowledgeable, & most polite. She provided many printed pages so I can work through all the custom touches & interior mods; understanding exactly what the associated codes mean. She’s also been a great help tutoring what’s realistic, possible, & not bankruptcy inducing.

Almost every one of your suggestions of detail touches & interior appointments (with associated picture references) is simply invaluable. I know it took considerable time to put together such a comprehensive reply. Kudos & many many thanks.

As I make additional progress locking an order slot I'll keep posting some undoubtedly 'simplistic & stupid' questions; but perhaps others can learn from my neophyte mistakes.

Hopefully our paths might cross sometime in Stuttgart or at a Porsche ‘event’. It would be my distinct pleasure to buy you a local stein or glass of German chardonnay.

Cheers & thanks again sir!
Marko
Old 07-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default re: Melissa Witek

Originally Posted by MarkoPolo
Eduardo (E); Thanks so very much for your extensive thoughts & suggestions in reply to my most recent post...
Your point referencing introducing another colour for roof material is a well thought out critique...I think I have more than enough more realistic options without venturing into the unknown realms of a special Targa top covering (I would agree!). Thanks for your input on that issue.

Melissa (NY) has been prompt, super knowledgeable, & most polite. She provided many printed pages so I can work through all the custom touches & interior mods; understanding exactly what the associated codes mean. She’s also been a great help tutoring what’s realistic, possible, & not bankruptcy inducing.

Almost every one of your suggestions of detail touches & interior appointments (with associated picture references) is simply invaluable. I know it took considerable time to put together such a comprehensive reply. Kudos & many many thanks.

As I make additional progress locking an order slot I'll keep posting some undoubtedly 'simplistic & stupid' questions; but perhaps others can learn from my neophyte mistakes.

Hopefully our paths might cross sometime in Stuttgart or at a Porsche ‘event’. It would be my distinct pleasure to buy you a local stein or glass of German chardonnay.

Cheers & thanks again sir!
Marko
Thank you Marko for your kind words.

I would also like to make this personal statement on the current re-structuring of 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States. This message is directed at all of you, who like Marko above, have received assistance from Melissa Witek of 'Porsche Exclusive' during your own custom ordering process in years past! As we speak, Melissa is auditioning for the job as Manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' for North America! The previous manager Sascha Glaeser, who was brought in for that job from Zuffenhausen, is taking a new position with 'Porsche Experience Centers' which are planned for LA & Atlanta!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ive-in-us.html

There are several others PAG employees from Germany that are vying for Sascha's old 'Porsche Exclusive' post here in America and are actively competing with Melissa for this important manager's job. But I think it's fitting to have one of our 'own', a person that understands our particular market's thinking & needs, in this key position at PCNA! That is why I believe that Melissa Witek deserves the job and our support at this crucial juncture. As much as I value my German friends at PAG, I do think we need an American perspective at 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US! And I believe that Melissa Witek, as manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US, will be able to carry that 'battle flag' for us in interactions with 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany! And this is exactly what will be needed IF we are ever to have a more effective 'PTS' & 'Porsche Exclusive' option program that meets the specific needs of OUR distinctive North American market! So to represent us effectively, I believe we need someone who is an American & that has not been brought up in the static European business model (e.g. PAG) with its restrictive 'Top-Down' corporate mind-set!

So, if at all possible, I urge you to please put in a good word & message of support for Melissa with PCNA (if you have any contacts there) or via your Porsche dealer's GM or Dealer Principal. The ultimate goal is to get that message delivered directly to Detlev von Platen, CEO of PCNA & the person that will ultimately decide who is the next manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States! Melissa has not asked me for this help...but I think it would be a nice gesture of those of you that she has helped in the past with your customization details to offer support for her now! Thank you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 07-19-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 AM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Default HEAR HEAR !!

Originally Posted by Z356
Thank you Marko for your kind words.

I would also like to make this personal statement on the current re-structuring of 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States. This message is directed at all of you, who like Marko above, have received assistance from Melissa Witek of 'Porsche Exclusive' during your own custom ordering process in years past! As we speak, Melissa is auditioning for the job as Manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' for North America! The previous manager Sascha Glaeser, who was brought in for that job from Zuffenhausen, is taking a new position with 'Porsche Experience Centers' which are planned for LA & Atlanta!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ive-in-us.html

There are several others PAG employees from Germany that are vying for Sascha's old 'Porsche Exclusive' post here in America and are actively competing with Melissa for this important manager's job. But I think it's fitting to have one of our 'own', a person that understands our particular market's thinking & needs, in this key position at PCNA! That is why I believe that Melissa Witek deserves the job and our support at this crucial juncture. As much as I value my German friends at PAG, I do think we need an American perspective at 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US! And I believe that Melissa Witek, as manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US, will be able to carry that 'battle flag' for us in interactions with 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany! And this is exactly what will be needed IF we are ever to have a more effective 'PTS' & 'Porsche Exclusive' option program that meets the specific needs of OUR distinctive North American market! So to represent us effectively, I believe we need someone who is an American & that has not been brought up in the static European business model (e.g. PAG) with its restrictive 'Top-Down' corporate mind-set!

So, if at all possible, I urge you to please put in a good word & message of support for Melissa with PCNA (if you have any contacts there) or via your Porsche dealer's GM or Dealer Principal. The ultimate goal is to get that message delivered directly to Detlev von Platen, CEO of PCNA & the person that will ultimately decide who is the next manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States! Melissa has not asked me for this help...but I think it would be a nice gesture of those of you that she has helped in the past with your customization details to offer support for her now! Thank you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Thanks for keeping us updated on all things of importance with Porsche Exclusive; that’s an excellent suggestion Eduardo!
I wasn’t aware Melissa was up for promotion; but is a testament to her professionalism & humility in an organization fraught with 'some amount' of infighting (as in any competitive company environment). Have sent dictated letter to PNA-Atlanta & my 2 corporate contacts in Stuttgart; email but also printed letterhead mail for extra impact. Here’s hoping Melissa is successful.
Ciao;
Marko

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!